Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

joining The Samba - '87 Syncro
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilie415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Howdy, folks; I'm excited to join TheSamba as an unemotional, new owner of an '87 Syncro (tin top; manual) Very Happy

First, a few pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It just arrived this week and I'm in the process of upgrading the cat to a Magnaflow California Catalytic Converter and new oxygen sensor in order to pass Calif. smog to get going on a new chapter of van-powered adventures Cool

Light backstory if anyone's interested:
* Found through CapCity Motorsports out of Columbus, Ohio. Had a great experience working with them (honest, transparent, reliable)
- 99K original miles; they did a full mechanical overhaul
- Full paint job w/ color mesh rocker guard
* Worked with them on some small "creature-comfort" customization but nothing crazy:
- Reupholstered with Sunbrella fabric (pattern: Connect Dune)
- Weekender interior added (was originally basic passenger interior)
- ARB awning
- Dometic cooler-style fridge
- Decoupled 4WD
- 2" trailer hitch
- 15" wheels & BFG A/T KO2s
- high-powered headlights
- snap-in curtain system

I look forward to becoming more active in this great & candid community (mostly getting advice at first, I'm sure), and hopefully someday I'll have learned so much from y'all that I can help contribute back into the knowledge base Razz

- Emilie

----
To connect the dots, earlier on in my Vanagon search, I posted this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674223[img][/img]
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Looks great!

Reading your list I'm unsure of what you had done vs what was already done by the previous owner.

None the less, a nice looking unit,

Make sure that the fuel lines are new.

Seriously consider installing a GPS device to aid in vehicle recovery should it happen to you.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568723

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:20 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

ENJOY! Looks sweet. WELCOME
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba! Very nice ride! Well sorted, but need more pics of the details Very Happy

Looks to be ready for for adventuring, and I look forward to reading about them.

emilie415 wrote:
Howdy, folks; I'm excited to join TheSamba as an unemotional, new owner of an '87 Syncro (tin top; manual) Very Happy

Not to worry, we'll get your emotions up and running Razz

(and heed the advice on fuel lines and anti-theft options!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Welcome to the club Smile

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reverend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

It looks REALLY good! Greetings to fellow syncronist Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Nice and glad you got want you really wanted without doing a conversion!

That will idle nicely in the 101 or Bay Bridge traffic... Smile

Double check those fuel lines ...get to a club meet and have some sambinistas look it over stat.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

You being sarcastic? I get emotional looking at your Syncro. Can we get some more interior pics? Very nice ride.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
emilie415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! More pics to come for sure! Yes, CapCity replaced all fuel lines in addition to the rest of their thorough mechanical refresh.

I'm just starting to read through all the great "evergreen/reference" materials here on The Samba, but essentially once it hits the road (smogged, registered, etc.) it will be just shy of 100K. I'll plan oil changes every 2K, but if anyone else has a go-to maintenance schedule (every 5, 10, 20, 30K service workflows you do), let me know or links appreciated!

Cheers,
Emilie
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

My opinion: there is no need for an oil change every 2k unless you're driving 2k or less yearly and just want to change the oil annually. Just keep it full- careful to not overfill- and 3k will be fine.
Change the coolant every 2 years.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
3k will be fine.

2k is too often, and "3k" is still an "anal" level of oil change. "normal" is 5k, and many people use 7500k (in newer cars). 3k is more $ but ensures the best conditions for long life. As long as oil change is done right (plug doesn't fall out etc Shocked ).

One thing I'd recommend being anal about, is... that Syncro trans. I'd change the oil in THAT every 15k max.. Perhaps more often, but it depends how 'clean' the oil coming out was. If any metal fines appear at 15k, I'd reduce the interval.

Every part in your engine can be replaced, easily, but a 99k Syncro trans might be worth $7,000. That's a SWEET, fresh, transaxle. You cannot replace some of the parts in the trans because they are no longer manufactured. Only aftermarket parts are available, and in general, most of the replacements are suspected to be of lower quality than what you HAVE in there. So you don't wanna wear out your OEM parts.

I'd say you should protect those NLA parts and make sure your trans oil is always clean & fresh. I'd change every 15,000 miles simply to ensure that there's never any metal dust going round and round in there reducing the life of everything it goes between.

If you ever put a big engine in there I'd change every 5,000 miles.

There is a 'problem part' called the "3rd-4th hub" that breaks somewhere around 100-150k miles. There's a chance yours has already been replaced. And there's no way to inspect it. The only thing you can do is watch the magnet on your trans oil plug (for metal bits). If it breaks, your trans must be disassembled & repaired. Sorry to lay that one on you but it's something you need to be aware of.

Thats a REAL nice van! I hope you're not parking it on the street, they are easy to steal. The problem gets worse when the van is parked in the same place every day, the thieves note it, and when they find out how valuable that transaxle is.... yikes.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Couple other things.

Looks like you have the early style "floppy" mirrors. If they tend to move around on you, you can get the '86+ style that should be on it or there are some remedies posted around here.

Tell us about the locking/coupling options this thing has. You stated "uncoupled 4wd". Does this have a solid shaft or viscous coupling? Rear locker? Front locker? There are a few things you'll want to know about those knobs and when not to use them. And people around here agree on most of what to do or not to.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Changing oil at every 2,000 miles is a complete waste of money and resources. You are dumping clean oil to put in slightly cleaner oil.
Seriously reconsider this interval.

Yes, absolutely take theft precautions, but I've yet to read a post that tells about a Van being stolen and parted out. One was recently sold in Mexico as a complete unit, but reduced to parts? Haven't yet seen it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Welcome back, glad you found your dream rig. Looks great.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aaaaaaaaaaaal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Got to see this one in person at Cap City while they were about to finish it up. It looks great.
emilie415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! Already getting schooled Smile

To recap some of the advice so far
- Will lengthen oil-change interval to more like 4-5K
- Change trans oil every 10-15K (they did install a refurbished Syncro transmission before it was sent out to me, because they noticed it was about to go. Really "extra mile" service given by CapCity on that)
- Change coolant every 2 years

I will get back to you, raoul mitgong, on your questions on decoupling, but I know that it was decoupled to be used only when 4WD needed, and I also have rear differential locking capabilities.
Reverend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: joining The Samba - '87 Syncro Reply with quote

I've changed oils from 7000km to 10000km in my Syncro.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: