Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
General1968b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

Hello all I just recently did the brakes on my 68. The left front brake drum went on perfectly but the passenger front seems to wobble after I installed it. And it's also making like a grinding sound when I spin it. Is this just a matter of adjusting the adjuster screws or is something else wrong here?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

Your brake drum should NOT wobble!
Remove it and find out why it's wobbling!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

Please elaborate what "did the brakes" includes? Did you replace the bearings?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

It's the bearings. Repack them and reinstall the drum (correctly).
General1968b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

Well apparently the brakes were supposed to come with everything except the bearings. I used the ones that were already on the car. I'll remove them and re pack them and hopefully it stops wobbling. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for the brakes?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

General1968b wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for the brakes?

BEFORE you do any more brake work on your Bug, get one of these . . . https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle-Karmann-O...F8&me=
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

Maybe a stupid question but did you install the bearing races into the new drums?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Maybe a stupid question but did you install the bearing races into the new drums?

Actually: a very good question !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
General1968b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

That was actually the first thing I checked. And upon inspection there were no races. I went ahead and ordered new bearings with the races. Once they come I'll install them and then check back here.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

yikes!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

General1968b wrote:
Well apparently the brakes were supposed to come with everything except the bearings. I used the ones that were already on the car. I'll remove them and re pack them and hopefully it stops wobbling.
sjbartnik wrote:

That was actually the first thing I checked. And upon inspection there were no races.

Ok, clearly you need a list. Which of these did you replace with NEW when you "did your brakes"? Which did you re-use?
    Brake drums
    Brake shoes
    Wheel cylinder
    Brake rubber hose
    Hardware (springs and retainers)
    Wheel bearing / race
    Wheel bearing grease seal

I'm not clear on your replay above? Did you...
    1) Your old drums only had bearings and no races so there was nothing to move? If you knew the racers were missing you should have stopped there.
    2) Install new drums and only move the old bearings to the new drum and forgot/didn't know to move the races?

New drums do not come w/ races. Sometimes bearings are sold separately from the races, but more often they are sold as a set with both. The races are press fit into the drums and need to be hammered/pressed in/out.
Here is a pic of an early brake drum without the outer race installed from this page (the notches are where you tap the backside of the race to drive it out):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the same drum after the race is pressed in:

No insult intended, but if you installed new drums and forgot to install the races for the bearings... you should not be working on your brakes. Better/safer to take it to someone/a shop who is familiar with the work. Brakes are possibly the most important system on your car.

General1968b wrote:

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com

These are not good enough to use for working on the brakes. As suggested, get your hands on a Bentley for your model year. They have excellent illustrations.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
General1968b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
General1968b wrote:
Well apparently the brakes were supposed to come with everything except the bearings. I used the ones that were already on the car. I'll remove them and re pack them and hopefully it stops wobbling.
sjbartnik wrote:

That was actually the first thing I checked. And upon inspection there were no races.

Ok, clearly you need a list. Which of these did you replace with NEW when you "did your brakes"? Which did you re-use?
    Brake drums
    Brake shoes
    Wheel cylinder
    Brake rubber hose
    Hardware (springs and retainers)
    Wheel bearing / race
    Wheel bearing grease seal

I'm not clear on your replay above? Did you...
    1) Your old drums only had bearings and no races so there was nothing to move? If you knew the racers were missing you should have stopped there.
    2) Install new drums and only move the old bearings to the new drum and forgot/didn't know to move the races?

New drums do not come w/ races. Sometimes bearings are sold separately from the races, but more often they are sold as a set with both. The races are press fit into the drums and need to be hammered/pressed in/out.
Here is a pic of an early brake drum without the outer race installed from this page (the notches are where you tap the backside of the race to drive it out):

This is the same drum after the race is pressed in:

No insult intended, but if you installed new drums and forgot to install the races for the bearings... you should not be working on your brakes. Better/safer to take it to someone/a shop who is familiar with the work. Brakes are possibly the most important system on your car.

General1968b wrote:

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com

These are not good enough to use for working on the brakes. As suggested, get your hands on a Bentley for your model year. They have excellent illustrations.

No I'm not insulted but I thought when I purchased the kit it came with the races already installed. After I noticed the brakes were wobbling I went ahead and double checked everything and noticed the races were missing.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bug passenger front brake drum wobbles Reply with quote

early and late spindles have different inner diameters and use different inner wheel bearings...its possible an earlier spindle was put on the car and it has a late bearing ( the tie rod nut on an early spindle is 17mm, a late one 19mm)....slide the inner bearing onto the spindle, it should be a precise fit...if it goes on with an eighth inch of play you have a mismatch of years....oops nevermind....reread the post and saw you left out the races....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: