Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine idles for 15 secs at most
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

I bought a 69 bug...before I started tearing it apart to replace a cracked head it idled but roughly...i thought that was due to the cracked head...i replaced both heads and when I went to start my bug it refused to idle, I checked for vacuum leaks, bad plug wires, and everything else

Like a dumb dumb I decided to check the carb last...this is what I found
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also I was wondering what goes in these holes and which hole do i use once I'm done cleaning the accelerator pump

Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Those holes allow you to adjust the accelerator pump for the right amount of squirt. Use a little washer and cotter pin.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Yikes Shocked
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
Those holes allow you to adjust the accelerator pump for the right amount of squirt. Use a little washer and cotter pin.

How do I know which is the right hole
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Start with one, drive it. If it drives great, it is right. If it appears to bog down from too much gas, it is too tight. Vice versa. There are only a few holes. Start in the middle.

And read this... http://www.vw-resource.com/accelerator_pump.html

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Thank u so much
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Yikes Shocked

That's what I said too Smile
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Bama Dave wrote:

How do I know which is the right hole

She will let you know. Laughing But seriously, like Bama Dave say's. Drive and compare.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Another way to check the pump spray is on the bench with the bowl full of fuel. VW actually had a tiny adapter that went over the brass spray nozzle and you could measure the output. You can do it without by pulling it down and seeing how much fuel you're getting at each setting. When you pull the throttle, you should see an immediate full spray out of the nozzle.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Just an update

Still having issues. I rebuilt my carbreuator, but I'm having a hard time getting the accelerator pump to seal. When I open the throttle gas squirts out of the side of the accelerator pump at the diaphragm...i have rebuilt webers before so I am familiar with the process...i am thinking about using the old diaphragm. Has anyone else experienced this?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Just an update

Still having issues. I rebuilt my carbreuator, but I'm having a hard time getting the accelerator pump to seal. When I open the throttle gas squirts out of the side of the accelerator pump at the diaphragm...i have rebuilt webers before so I am familiar with the process...i am thinking about using the old diaphragm. Has anyone else experienced this?

I always flatten both surfaces at the diaphragm pump. The body and the cover. They will leak if you don't do that. There's also suppose to be a paper gasket between the cover and diaphragm as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Just an update

I always flatten both surfaces at the diaphragm pump. The body and the cover. They will leak if you don't do that. There's also suppose to be a paper gasket between the cover and diaphragm as well.

The rebuild kit I ordered did not come with the gasket between the body and cover, and when I took the carb apart there wasn't one...do you know if they sell that gasket individually?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Just an update

The rebuild kit I ordered did not come with the gasket between the body and cover, and when I took the carb apart there wasn't one...do you know if they sell that gasket individually?

I don't know if it's sold separately. I'd try flattening the sealing flanges on the pump/carb body and then it's cover. They are usually pretty warped. It may seal just fine with just the diaphragm if you flatten both sealing surfaces on a piece of glass (or something dead flat) w/220grit paper on it. The last carb I did was a German Solex 34-3. The accelerator pump flange sealing surfaces were REALLY warped. I laid a flat edge across both the body side and the cover. It was shocking.

i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Just an update

I don't know if it's sold separately. I'd try flattening the sealing flanges on the pump/carb body and then it's cover. They are usually pretty warped. It may seal just fine with just the diaphragm if you flatten both sealing surfaces on a piece of glass (or something dead flat) w/220grit paper on it. The last carb I did was a German Solex 34-3. The accelerator pump flange sealing surfaces were REALLY warped. I laid a flat edge across both the body side and the cover. It was shocking.

I will check for warppage when I get home, bothbsealing surfaces looked pretty flat, but the eyeball isn't always trustworthy Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Think about making your own gasket from rubberized sheet gasket, available at auto parts store.

I drill any holes first before cutting.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Think about making your own gasket from rubberized sheet gasket, available at auto parts store.

I drill any holes first before cutting.

Good idea...thank you
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Update...

I checked to see if the accelerator pump cover and body were warped. I sanded them flat and installed the new accelerator pump diaphragm....still leaking like crazy

I didn't have time to get gasket paper last night but I will attempt to purchase some today

I am trying not to let myself get too discouraged... I have a set of dual Kadrons and a Weber progressive sitting around...if I can't get my solex solex 30 pict 2 to work I might throw one of those on there.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Update...

I checked to see if the accelerator pump cover and body were warped. I sanded them flat and installed the new accelerator pump diaphragm....still leaking like crazy

I didn't have time to get gasket paper last night but I will attempt to purchase some today

I am trying not to let myself get too discouraged... I have a set of dual Kadrons and a Weber progressive sitting around...if I can't get my solex solex 30 pict 2 to work I might throw one of those on there.

No need to get discouraged. A simple gasket should fix the problem.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Update...

No need to get discouraged. A simple gasket should fix the problem.

Thank you for the positivity and support...I found this laying around the shop at work today, I think it will work to make a gasket out of

i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Update...

I GOT THE ACCELERATOR PUMP TO SEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gasket paper and patience...now instead of only idling for 15 seconds it idles for about 30 seconds then shuts off...

Could it be that I have too much squirt from the accelerator pump?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: