Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine idles for 15 secs at most
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Can you please post a video of the problem along with detail shots of the engine components?

You can always go back and triple check everything, timing, valves, fuel pressure and carburetor settings. Seems like it could be idle needing adjusted.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Update...

I GOT THE ACCELERATOR PUMP TO SEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gasket paper and patience...now instead of only idling for 15 seconds it idles for about 30 seconds then shuts off...

Could it be that I have too much squirt from the accelerator pump?

If you're absolutely sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, I'd say you have a clogged idle circuit. The only way I've gotten those tiny idle passages clean and clear is to disassemble the carb completely and put it in a ultrasonic parts cleaner that heats the water/degreaser solution up to 120*. You stick all the jets into the sonic cleaner as well.
Harbor Freight sells them for around $70 dollars. They actually work really well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Can you please post a video of the problem along with detail shots of the engine components?

You can always go back and triple check everything, timing, valves, fuel pressure and carburetor settings. Seems like it could be idle needing adjusted.

I can possibly take pics and a video tomorrow when I get off work...

I'm thinking it is 1 of 3 things
1. Restricted fuel line (the copper one that runs through the tunnel)
2. Idle needs to be readjusted or bypass screw needs to be adjusted
3. Needle valve in float bowl isn't operating properly

But I will recheck everything you listed

Thank you for the support and help
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Update...

Gasket paper and patience...now instead of only idling for 15 seconds it idles for about 30 seconds then shuts off...

If you're absolutely sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, I'd say you have a clogged idle circuit. The only way I've gotten those tiny idle passages clean and clear is to disassemble the carb completely and put it in a ultrasonic parts cleaner that heats the water/degreaser solution up to 120*. You stick all the jets into the sonic cleaner as well.
Harbor Freight sells them for around $70 dollars. They actually work really well.

I just disassembled cleaned and reassembled my carb, but you might be right...are there troubleshooting steps in can use to confirm a clogged idle circuit?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Update...

I just disassembled cleaned and reassembled my carb, but you might be right...are there troubleshooting steps in can use to confirm a clogged idle circuit?

Usually the symptoms are it won't idle when the choke kicks off or at all. The 30-2 carb is notorious for these issues as only cleaning them in carb cleaner doesn't get those tiny passages clean.

http://www.vw-resource.com/30PICT2.html

I think you said you're new to VW's. Here's a good link and site that can help you.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Update...

Usually the symptoms are it won't idle when the choke kicks off or at all. The 30-2 carb is notorious for these issues as only cleaning them in carb cleaner doesn't get those tiny passages clean.

http://www.vw-resource.com/30PICT2.html

I think you said you're new to VW's. Here's a good link and site that can help you.

Not new I own a 76 bus and a 70 fastback both have webers...just new to type 1s and solex

I appreciate all the help, thank you for all the great info
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Sorry...no videos or pics...today was dedicated to the bus, normal maintaince and I'm building a full-size roof rack for it...i will try and get videos and pics asap
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:

Check fuel pressure before the carb inlet.
3 minute job.
Easy to measure. Once the engine dies, remove the top plate and inspect level.

i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:

Check fuel pressure before the carb inlet.
3 minute job.
Easy to measure. Once the engine dies, remove the top plate and inspect level.

Thank you for the advice...tomorrow is hopefully a day I can work on my bug. I work fulltime 50+ hours a week, I'm a fulltime student, and take care of my disabled mom...its rare I get freetime
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Good luck with it and I fully agree on checking your carb settings. Sounds like your bypass screw is tight.

And I recognize that axle gasket, nice change of pace working on classic VW's after messing with big rigs and computers all day. What's your brand?
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
Good luck with it and I fully agree on checking your carb settings. Sounds like your bypass screw is tight.

And I recognize that axle gasket, nice change of pace working on classic VW's after messing with big rigs and computers all day. What's your brand?

You got it!!!! That sir is indeed an axle flange gasket for a peterbulit...i have an office now, but much rather be on the floor working. In fact I find every little excuse to go in the shop and get my hands dirty Smile

Working on my vws is definitely a good change in pace
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Have you got a new fuel filter on ,I put a vw rabbit One on mine ,held with two fuel line hose clamps near the clutch. cable adjuster under the engine bay,so no chance of engine bay fire.Simple,cheap and effective at keeping crap from dirty fuel and rusty tank blocking carb up.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

jarmchairpilot wrote:
Have you got a new fuel filter on ,I put a vw rabbit One on mine ,held with two fuel line hose clamps near the clutch. cable adjuster under the engine bay,so no chance of engine bay fire.Simple,cheap and effective at keeping crap from dirty fuel and rusty tank blocking carb up.

Before I disassembled my carb and cleaned it I removed my fuel tank and have been slowly (as time permits) cleaning it and restoring it. I installed a new electric fuel pump and regulator, as well as new fuel lines and a new fuel filter mounted close to where the fuel tank goes before the fuel pump. I have a fuel line from the suction side of the fuel pump running into a gas can ...Maybe I should have mounted the fuel filter in the engine compartment just in case there is gunk and rusty sediment in the copper fuel line running thru the tunnel
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

A fuel filter is $5. Put one before the pump and one right after tunnel line. No more crud. What your fuel pressure with the electric pump? Why are you running an electric pump?
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
A fuel filter is $5. Put one before the pump and one right after tunnel line. No more crud. What your fuel pressure with the electric pump? Why are you running an electric pump?

The extra fuel filter isn't a bad idea...

I went with an electric fuel pump because I have one on my bus and fastback, and never had any issues... plus i was have fuel pressure issues with the stock one, i had an extra electric fuel pump laying around and decided to install it...

Fuel pressure right now is around 3.8
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

I hear ya on the lack of free time Wink

I would try lowering the fuel pressure down to 2.5-3psi. Good luck with the diagnosis.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Pez wrote:

You got it!!!! That sir is indeed an axle flange gasket for a peterbulit...i have an office now, but much rather be on the floor working. In fact I find every little excuse to go in the shop and get my hands dirty Smile

Nice! I work for Kenworth myself and I hear ya. I did the M-F foreman gig and behind a desk for 40 hrs killed me. Got lucky and was able to change around to where I work the floor for three days and foreman for two. Its a perfect mix!
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
I hear ya on the lack of free time Wink

I would try lowering the fuel pressure down to 2.5-3psi. Good luck with the diagnosis.

Tomorrow when I get off work will be my dedicated bug day...i will lower the fuel pressure and see how that works

I really appreciate all the support and feedback, that's why I love the samba and my vw community
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Pez wrote:

Nice! I work for Kenworth myself and I hear ya. I did the M-F foreman gig and behind a desk for 40 hrs killed me. Got lucky and was able to change around to where I work the floor for three days and foreman for two. Its a perfect mix!

You lucky lucky man... ive been suggesting something like what you have going but every time I do i get sent on a service repair out of state (punishment?) Lol... ive worked on them all freightliners, kenworths, Cummins engines, diesel Mercedes Benz engines, Volvo d series, cat...i enjoy working on them rather than shuffling papers and clicking a keyboard
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine idles for 15 secs at most Reply with quote

So I think it might be a bad or wrong coil giving me problems? I have read that a coil with the wrong resistance can give the same symptoms...dkes anyone know if this is true...i will probably try swapping a coil from one of my other vws this weekend...but before I do I was wondering if anyone has heard of or experienced a bad/wrong coil in the past and what were the symptoms
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: