Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips..
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allyGATOR_EVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Just purchased a '97 EuroVan Camper. It sat for a few years and was used as a party spot for some teenagers for awhile so...needless to say, some work needs to be done.

Wondering if anyone had any tips on detailing the interior? Any links to tutorials I can't seem to find? Any advice from removing mildew on the pop top canvas, to cheapest way to reupholster or clean the seats, where mice like to nest, etc...any of that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to becoming a part of this community!! (I'll be sure to post some before and after photos!)
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

Hey there - wondering if you bought the 97 that was for sale in Charleston? If so, man, you got a van with nicely solid bones (I drove it to my mechanic and spent some time with it) and crazy low miles for stupid low price, but boy oh boy was the interior and exterior of that that thing beat to shit. I almost bought it to flip - but decided I ultimately didn't want to get into making it presentable. Regardless, spend a bunch of time on this forum and the CaveVan forum and join Eurovan Owners Unite on FB. Those are good places to start. As for the mildew on the tent, if it's the van I'm thinking of, it's gonna be tough. I'd start with a steam cleaner from a grocery store - with an upholstery attachment. Go at the outside and the inside of the tent, and the rest of it, like there's no tomorrow. And fill the reservoir with nearly boiling water.
Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allyGATOR_EVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

It's a different one, but I'm sure it's just as ROUGH! I got a great deal on it. The exterior is solid, not a dent on it, but it misfires a bit and needs some engine work. Lucky for me, my boyfriend fixed cars in his former life so I'm mostly concerned about the interior. Everything is intact just filthy...I know I'll eventually replace the canvas but I'm going to make an attempt to salvage it for a little while longer..as well as everything else, I'm sure new carpet is a must, but would love to salvage the seats as I'm sure reupholstering them will be a small fortune.

Thanks for the advice!! I'll definitely check those forums out. As far as the steam cleaner goes, I'm debating on cleaning the ENTIRE VAN with it.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
I'd start with a steam cleaner from a grocery store - with an upholstery attachment. Go at the outside and the inside of the tent, and the rest of it, like there's no tomorrow.

+1 on this. Also, get a fan in there to afterward to help it dry out. Don't be too disappointed if the dirt comes up again while drying, due to capillary action -- sometimes it takes more than one round to get it all.

Also, this post by @DenverB on re-dying/painting the interior panels might prove helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

Welcome and congratulations on your find!

I'd remove all the seats for a thorough cleaning. Not very hard at all and this way you can go nuts with soapy water, a scrub brush and a garden hose on them. A few days in the hot sun will dry them out nicely. My '99 had nasty seats and I was impressed how well the filth washed away maybe you'll have the same luck.

While the seats are out the carpets and trim can be easily cleaned in place. You can take the carpet out to clean but that's a lot more work. Might be worth the extra time and effort though.

You should be able get things usable until you can locate some reasonably priced replacement parts if necessary. Save your money until you get the mechanicals sorted out.

I always love "back to life" stories so good luck, be brave, and make it happen! Popcorn

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

Excellent points, @gakali!

OP: please post before / after, and in process pics for us! Popcorn
allyGATOR_EVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

Thanks so much, everyone! I'll definitely be posting pics soon. I'm hoping for a real Cinderella story!
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the club! I recently bought a 1999 EuroVan MV and also have quite the list of items to fix on it before it's really road-ready. Can't wait to see your "Cinderella story"!
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

gakali wrote:
Welcome and congratulations on your find!

I always love "back to life" stories so good luck, be brave, and make it happen! Popcorn

Seconded! Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allyGATOR_EVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

Here are some 'before' photos!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought an EVC; looking for some tips.. Reply with quote

Wow that looks a lot better than I thought it would be! Big $ van. Unicorn find in my books.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: