Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometer / Shift light
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
A E Numan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

This is my setup.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

I like it. Gps speedo. Tach has shift light, memory recall, and other performance stat features. Plus it is very clean looking and understated like the rest of the car.

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:

Speedhut.....

Murzi... that's a very nice set up ..
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

would of been nice if some of us had bought stock in that company many years ago Shocked . I had a fastach on my old street car(msd junk) 6 passes great 7th pass......not good. I learned to unplug the tach after 5 or 6 passes. Like everybody else,, you dont even look at the dam things.witch is why there aint one in my bug. just find the valve float and use your ears the next time Wink Rolling Eyes
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:
Thats pretty clever Dale, I like that oil light.

Yeah... It's just red lense version of amber shift light, bought as accessory...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

Thats pretty clever Dale, I like that oil light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

This is what I did on auto cross buggy.... 5 inch Autogage with shift light on left (amber) and oil light on right (red)... Dont need no other stinking gauges.... Dont have to time to read them anyway on auto X course .... Well actually there is ALT lamp on dash...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

Do you want quality or do you want cheap. Personally, I chose Autometer. I have to much invested in my engine to cheap out now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

If you need a shift light to go racing, I strongly suggest you spend whatever it cost to get the Autometer if your goal is to win races. If all you want is the bling for your show car, then there a several cheap Chinese versions on eBay for under $100.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

In my Ghia, I went all Autometer. In dash Speedo and Tach, but when I'm letting it rip, I keep my eyes on the road, and have the oil pressure light, and the shift light on top of the dash. A boost and oil pressure gauge are mounted in the glove box door. And to help set the fuel pressure and regulator, I have a fuel pressure gauge mounted right beside one of the throttle bodies.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info here. I think I am going to go with the Autogauge Monster 5 inch.......just looks cool and seems to be high quality. Laughing

Now I just need a 3 cluster to match ( oil temp / pressure / & volts )
A lot of the temp gauges say "water" not oil
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

Speedhut.....
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

VDO tach in both bugs.. no shift light needed. Never an issue with any VDO gauges. Bought an extra n.o.s. vdo tach from 1973, still in its box as a spare.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

I have 3 Autometer monster tachs with shift lights and telltales. I got 2 of them from the classifieds, almost new and for about half price from new. They are well worth the money.

I've used a couple of other cheaper brands of tachs in the past and they have not always been accurate. One Sunpro I had was out 300 rpm.

brad
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

I have a SunPro 5" White faced tach in my Oval. I believe they're made by Bosch actually. Nice piece of kit - a little cheaper than Autometer but not much. I think they do 4" ones too.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

I have a bunch of $$$$ in the new automeater stuff for my race car( tach,speedo etc)....I dont have squat for gauges on my bug. I was thinken about one of those 5in 1 tachs with the light, oil pressure, water temp and oil temp.....around $50 on flebay, or a cheep $12 tach Shocked on flebay. hmm I do still have my old30+ year old autometear tach somewhere......but it's old,ugly, and just a tach, nothing fancy for show points at CC Rolling Eyes I wish i could find the pannel I bought to put a tach where the old speaker was....or I could just put a prostock style aero hood scoop on and put the tach in the back of it Wink I do have a mold for those scoops so...I could make it any width I wanted.or hight too and duct the air to my..... probably not it's just a vw. and then i wood have to run some wires....thats like work... and I dont work on my bug.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

You get the quality you pay for... Put big Autogage monster tach (5 inch?) on both my buggies with shift light... Also on autocross buggy had matching red light to amber shift light for oil pressure because you don't have time to read and brain to analyze what gauge is telling you....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-233906/overview/

But if you don't wind it hard...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-233905/overview/

Dale

yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Tachometer / Shift light Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Can anyone recommend a good quality Tachometer w shift light for me to install with my 2054cc. I like the AutoMeters but they are kind of expensive....was hoping to be in the $100 range but not skimp on quality, if that's even possible. I would like to get a white face with chrome 3-4" dia

Oh and also looking for oil pressure / temp / volts. smaller 2" dia

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: