Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PortlandVWOwner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

I have a VW camper that sway and bounces. I just replaced the shocks (with Bilstein Shocks & Struts), and had all of my bushings replaced so I am figuring out that the springs are just old and tired and need to be replaced. Most of what I am finding online are for either lifting or lowering my van. I have never really considered either option before. What are the benefits or drawbacks of each?
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

What tires do you have? Going from under rated 14" tires to 16" makes a huge difference in how much it bounces and sways.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

Swaying and/or bouncing is not caused by the springs.

Tires, anti-sway bar, and shocks are covering that.

Unfortunately brand new bilsteins, (in my experience and humble opinion) are progenitors of bouncing around and swaying.

New springs, the same as your existing springs, will NOT help, unless your old springs actually have a piece broken off.

If your old springs have sagged then the new springs will lift the van to it's original height but there won't be any difference in bouncing or swaying.

Also, springs that will lift it will probably amplify the bounce and swaying.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
What tires do you have? Going from under rated 14" tires to 16" makes a huge difference in how much it bounces and sways.

+1

Going from underrated 14" tires to proper 14" tires makes a huge difference, not to mention going to 15" or 16" tires. My '85 was a mess before the pax car tires were replaced with correct 14" tires.

Also, is your anti-sway bar in place and in good shape?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

Sway:
Get a T3 Sway bar to start, add end link bushings and steering rack bushings and this will drastically reduce sway and improve steering feel & response.

Bounce:
The shocks and springs need to compliment one another. From my experience and mamy others, lowering springs need much stiffer shocks than the Billsteins.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

tires not springs.

must be as close to a load rating of 100 as you can.. 97 or better

and if it starts with a P for Passenger, well you may drive a passenger van, but it's a LT Light truck in use/function/weight requirements
they wouldn't have a P if they weren't required to make the designation.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

Does your van sit level? The 85s have a tendency to sit higher in the front. Measure your center of axle to fender on all 4 wheels and someone can give you better advice about your springs.

I like a ride height of around 17". That gives you more clearance if you are going offroad not to hit things and isn't too tall to cause handling issues. The Carat springs are much lower and stiffer and a lot of people like them for on road stability. There are a lot of different springs for a 2wd van, the 85 was a weird year where they tried something different. There are a few aftermarket springs that will give you the firmness of the Carat springs in a taller ride height.
PortlandVWOwner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

Firstly, I would like to thank those who replied to my question. The tires on the van are 14" 8 ply truck tires with a load index of 100P, My van sits a little higher in the front. I had all of the bushings replaced. and every mechanic that has looked at the suspension said that everything is fully tight. I also replaced the tie rods and had a front end alignment with no appreciable difference. I will have to check into a T3 swaybar. Any other ideas? Again, thanks for the input.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

IF and I mean IF everything is as close to new as possible, what is your air pressure?

I fixed a messed up riding vanatoilet (it truly was a turd) after it had been to a shop that had 58 psi in all of the tires. adjusted the air pressure to what it should have been and thought the guy was going to kiss me....

was running the conti tires as I recall...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifting or lowering an 85 VW Camper Reply with quote

PortlandVWOwner wrote:
Firstly, I would like to thank those who replied to my question. The tires on the van are 14" 8 ply truck tires with a load index of 100P, My van sits a little higher in the front. I had all of the bushings replaced. and every mechanic that has looked at the suspension said that everything is fully tight. I also replaced the tie rods and had a front end alignment with no appreciable difference. I will have to check into a T3 swaybar. Any other ideas? Again, thanks for the input.

I've driven vans with passenger car tires. I've also had one with 8 ply tires like you have. The difference is night and day. I've since upgraded to 16" and the difference is even more dramatic. If everything else is tight and up to safety specs, I'd still look at tire size before springs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: