Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

Below are two photos of our rusty but loved 1961 11 window standard.

Before I begin to think about trying to start the engine I suspect it would be best to get it out of gear. While I can drop the gear shift lever into the socket and wiggle it around, it doesn’t feel like anything familiar; there's no sense of a pattern. Perhaps the missing floor plays an important role in this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this the shift rod coupling?

The floor has conveniently removed itself for easy access. At the risk of sounding like a song about a little Nash Rambler, can anyone suggest tips for how I can get my bus out of gear?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

vise grips on tail shaft shift coupler of trans.. push pull.. for reverse.. if you are sitting in van looking out the back window.. put vise grips on find neutral then turn clockwise and pull towards front of bus.. obviously the rest 1-4 you do same way find neutral turn counter clock wise and pull you have 4th.. push you have 3rd.. find the center spot in neutral pull you will have 2nd.. push you will have 1st

^ actually thats all backwards.. lol but that second picture were the coupling is.. put vise grips on that..push or pull it will go in neutral.. make sure no pressure on trans.. like its sitting on a hill..
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

Thanks, vwjetboat.

<<vise grips on tail shaft shift coupler of trans>>

In my second photo, is that the shaft behind the rubber bushing?

My goal is simply to find neutral. The travel is both front to back and clockwise (and counterclockwise)? Sounds like wiggling should do it, right?

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
Thanks, vwjetboat.

<<vise grips on tail shaft shift coupler of trans>>

In my second photo, is that the shaft behind the rubber bushing?

My goal is simply to find neutral. The travel is both front to back and clockwise (and counterclockwise)? Sounds like wiggling should do it, right?

Scott

yes that rubber round thing is the shift coupler.. the shaft after that is what you hook onto with vise grips..you can have someone ROCK the van back and forth when trying might help to if it does not pop right out of gear..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

It will be difficult to use the shifter to get it out of gear without it attaching to the floor first.

If it's in gear I'd probably put a pair of vice grips on the coupler out back and then tap it forward or back with a hammer to get it into neutral. You shouldn't have to hit that hard.

Example of hockey stick rotating in Bus nose moving once it's in neutral to give you an idea of how much it will move:

Link

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

Thank you both for the tips. No luck yet, but I'm starting with small taps. I can always hit it harder later.

Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, can you confirm I have the right idea of where to put the vice grips and the directions I want to try to move in?

FWIW, when I place the gear shift lever in the cup and wiggle it, nothing behind the coupler boot (where the vice grips are pictured) moves.

Scott
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

yep you are in right place..
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

If you can separate the longer, foremost shift rod (the one that doesn't connect directly to the gearbox) to leave the coupler attached to the rod that directly enters the gearbox, and if you can pull that long shift rod forward to give you clearance to get your hand on the coupler, you can shift gear by gripping the coupler with your hand.

Rotate the coupler like a tap (faucet) handle and pull and push as necessary.

You can get your fingers round the coupler flange to pull and push more easily than grips. That's what I did to check mine when I pulled the transmission last year.

FWW, the total clockwise/anticlockwise rotation in neutral isn't far at all (the long gear stick acts to magnify the movement)

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the help. I am out of gear now, which feels like a step forward.

When I tapped the rearward part of the shaft towards the engine, two parts on the shaft pulled apart:

I'm curious if this is how it's supposed to work or if I tapped too hard.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

nope.. its broke.. that is why the shifter just flopped around.. you just popped it out of gear the only way you could have.. good job..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

It's ok, that's the shift coupler.

The old style like that are only rubber in the middle so they can fall apart with age or wear.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: How can I shift without a gearshift (or floor) Reply with quote

Understood. Thanks again to you both for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: