Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is the best option for 1600 Bus with A/C?
Single port single carb
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Dual ports twin carbs (EMPI 34 EPC)
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Single port twin carbs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a bus and I rebuild engine to use A/C. It's always hot in Saigon (Vietnam)

My engine is 1600 single port and now use 31 PICT carb. But I feel It's a not enough strength to run. It's different when I turn off A/C, I can climb to mountain

Now I confusing between upgrade to dual ports twin carbs (EMPI 34 EPC). I already ordered this item but still need to buy dual ports head. But I read a lots topic said that single port even better and engine cooler than using dual ports twin carbs (It's really hot in here around 33-37 C degrees)

How about single port with twin carbs?

Which is the best choice for me?

Thank you
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

If your Bus has a 1600 are you putting in a 1700 as the title says or are you keeping 1600?
Just changing the carb may not give you enough HP to warrant replacing the carb. If you add new heads that breath better than you could pick up HP. If you can also increase your compression ratio you can pick up HP I would run dual port heads and Dual 36mm Dellorto's, 40mm Webers, ICT's or Kadrons with a header exhaust. Read up on John's Aircooled.net Bolt-on articles to get a few extra HP.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

I think It's 1700 now with 85.5mm piston right?

I know that change to dual ports head & dual carbs will give some HP, but I confused that It's will make engine hotter and easy to cracking? I don't know

How's about single port head with dual carbs? Is it better or worse than dual ports dual carbs?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

Stay stock 1600. Add an AMR 500 supercharger. Go flat belt and let the belt pull thye A/C and the super charger.
Gear the charger 2 - 1 and you will get between 5 & 6 psi which will increase power to 70-75 and 150ish Nm torque. Twice of what the EPC´s will bring you without having to swop heads.
(Make sure the engine yhas a good exhaust.
Just to make you get an idea of how to. but dont make the same mistakes as this guy with using crap cheap pulleys and idler.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

vwt2vietnam wrote:
I think It's 1700 now with 85.5mm piston right?

I know that change to dual ports head & dual carbs will give some HP, but I confused that It's will make engine hotter and easy to cracking? I don't know

How's about single port head with dual carbs? Is it better or worse than dual ports dual carbs?

85.5mm Pistons are stock 1600.
Dual port engines are an improvement over single port. That is why VW went to dual port. If you do a proper conversion to dual port with all the cooling tin you will have a stronger engine that cools like a normal 1600 dual port as installed in a late Bus.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

To convert to dual port heads, you will need some different head studs, and cylinder cover tins. Twin-ports also generally have dog-house, 8 mm studs, dual relief in the case and bigger pumps, passages, etc..

If everything is staying stock, you only gain 3 hp going from single to dual port on the 1600, bringing you to 50 hp DIN. Not worth it.

If you can go with boost, but if your on a tighter budget or have limited access to good machining and tuning and parts, just go with more cc's. 1835 TW would be a good start, some PORTED heads, an exhaust, a mild cam, and THEN your twin-carbs can REALLY be put to work, making power.

What is parts and labour availability there? Access to a dyno? I wouldn't go boosted without access to a dyno, or a big "experimenting" budget.

Mr. Alstrup seems to have caught the boost-bug! Time to start marketing a sleek compressor kit? Question Shocked Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

In a 1970 beetle, not a bus: my 1835 DP engine with single Weber carb and stock cam had plenty of power to run its dealer-added AC system. I have external oil cooler instead of a stock unit, and remember a bus not only weighs more than a beetle, its aerodynamic profile is worse.

Modern compressors draw less hp.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
To convert to dual port heads, you will need some different head studs, and cylinder cover tins. Twin-ports also generally have dog-house, 8 mm studs, dual relief in the case and bigger pumps, passages, etc..

If everything is staying stock, you only gain 3 hp going from single to dual port on the 1600, bringing you to 50 hp DIN. Not worth it.

If you can go with boost, but if your on a tighter budget or have limited access to good machining and tuning and parts, just go with more cc's. 1835 TW would be a good start, some PORTED heads, an exhaust, a mild cam, and THEN your twin-carbs can REALLY be put to work, making power.

Yes, but only because he has already ordered them. Otherwise a modified 34 mm Solex on a CB/Empi intake does the job well.
FreeBug wrote:

What is parts and labour availability there? Access to a dyno? I wouldn't go boosted without access to a dyno, or a big "experimenting" budget.

Mr. Alstrup seems to have caught the boost-bug! Time to start marketing a sleek compressor kit? Question Shocked Very Happy

I hope I´ll survive Wink With the parts available off of the shelf today it is easy to build a supercharged stockish engine. If you mix the tried and true draw through with say a CB Black box, Megajolt, or even the ignition side out of a MSII system you can come a long way for little money. The experimental budget doesnt have to be more than normal if you do your homework. The only supercharged engine that has ever went south on me was a customer that thought he knew better how to run his ignition timing, - resulting in a good deal of premature detonation and 4 cracked pistons, destroyed cylinders and rod bearings. THEN he finally understood what I talking about.

It could be really fun to make a kit if time allowed.
T
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Stay stock 1600. Add an AMR 500 supercharger. Go flat belt and let the belt pull thye A/C and the super charger.
Gear the charger 2 - 1 and you will get between 5 & 6 psi which will increase power to 70-75 and 150ish Nm torque. Twice of what the EPC´s will bring you without having to swop heads.
(Make sure the engine yhas a good exhaust.
Just to make you get an idea of how to. but dont make the same mistakes as this guy with using crap cheap pulleys and idler.

T

I have no idea about supercharger and no one in Vietnam know how to do it. Is it difficult and expensive?

I'll upload my engine photos to you guys to know

I already received Empi dual carbs kit and dual ports head, need a few days to install

My exhaust was rebuilt base on stock exhaust, i'm not sure It's good enough
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
In a 1970 beetle, not a bus: my 1835 DP engine with single Weber carb and stock cam had plenty of power to run its dealer-added AC system. I have external oil cooler instead of a stock unit, and remember a bus not only weighs more than a beetle, its aerodynamic profile is worse.

How's your external oil cooler? Could you pls tell me?
I used modern compressors and modern dynamo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

vwt2vietnam wrote:
Cusser wrote:

My dealer-added 1970 DPD system used a Tecumseh compressor, not so good. I use an 8-pass external oil cooler mounted over the opening of the fan shroud, similar to this kit http://www.jbugs.com/product/9223.html but I use a CB Performance Maxi2 oil pump/filter

The cooler has worked fine for me for 41 years, no matter what others say about these !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
vwt2vietnam wrote:
Cusser wrote:

My dealer-added 1970 DPD system used a Tecumseh compressor, not so good. I use an 8-pass external oil cooler mounted over the opening of the fan shroud, similar to this kit http://www.jbugs.com/product/9223.html but I use a CB Performance Maxi2 oil pump/filter

The cooler has worked fine for me for 41 years, no matter what others say about these !!!

So remove the dog-house and install this one right?

First I'll try to convert to dual carbs dual ports, and then I'll try each solution to improve performance
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

vwt2vietnam wrote:

No - I'm NOT saying that at all. I did this on my own engine which had non-doghouse shroud/oil cooler back in the mid 1970s, when doghouse stuff was dealer only and expensive, plus I wanted to add an oil filter (I later ditched the filter part of the kit and went to Maxi2).

Doghouse style is good cooling; I'm not experienced having a heavier and poorer aerodynamic bus where you'll have more heat to shed. Note that 1971 bus in USA had 1600 DP engine and did have doghouse cooling.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

there are smaller compressiors than that thee days, alot smaller. I have a nos sanderson/sanyko 506 under my bench for mine, but it may not get used. also I would use the empi hpmx 40 duel kit and a big motor. 82~84 stroke. 92 thick walls.good 40x35 heads, like lost pan of chetos. fk7 cam or smaller 9.0 cr. .040"(1mm) piston to head clearance. 30 mm oil pump.slotted lifter bores, added oil galleys, 5-20 syn oil. total seal rings,1.34 rockers. coated bearings&coated gears.ceramic coated piston tops,seramic coated ex ports, ceramic coated chambers and valve faces. dfl coated pin bores,cb lightweight pins.single hd springs.cb hd aluminum pushrods.lashcaps, dfl coated rockers,lash caps&bushings. good cooling system.cb magna spark dist tuned for the motor. either empi billet 31mm lifters with hole or cb light weights. camshield cam lube and additive in first&second oil/filter change only.adjust valves the preload method, break it in properly tune it right . Change oil&filter again.(third oil/filter change,)and load full of people and go have fun. change oil& filter again in a week.
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
there are smaller compressiors than that thee days, alot smaller. I have a nos sanderson/sanyko 506 under my bench for mine, but it may not get used. also I would use the empi hpmx 40 duel kit and a big motor. 82~84 stroke. 92 thick walls.good 40x35 heads, like lost pan of chetos. fk7 cam or smaller 9.0 cr. .040"(1mm) piston to head clearance. 30 mm oil pump.slotted lifter bores, added oil galleys, 5-20 syn oil. total seal rings,1.34 rockers. coated bearings&coated gears.ceramic coated piston tops,seramic coated ex ports, ceramic coated chambers and valve faces. dfl coated pin bores,cb lightweight pins.single hd springs.cb hd aluminum pushrods.lashcaps, dfl coated rockers,lash caps&bushings. good cooling system.cb magna spark dist tuned for the motor. either empi billet 31mm lifters with hole or cb light weights. camshield cam lube and additive in first&second oil/filter change only.adjust valves the preload method, break it in properly tune it right . Change oil&filter again.(third oil/filter change,)and load full of people and go have fun. change oil& filter again in a week.

Seem like a lot of money for your engine?
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
vwt2vietnam wrote:

No - I'm NOT saying that at all. I did this on my own engine which had non-doghouse shroud/oil cooler back in the mid 1970s, when doghouse stuff was dealer only and expensive, plus I wanted to add an oil filter (I later ditched the filter part of the kit and went to Maxi2).

Doghouse style is good cooling; I'm not experienced having a heavier and poorer aerodynamic bus where you'll have more heat to shed. Note that 1971 bus in USA had 1600 DP engine and did have doghouse cooling.

Oh understood. I'll update after install dual carbs
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

Hi,

This is my engine (1600 single port) before convert to dual carbs dual ports
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

vwt2vietnam
What running a altenator and generator??? which does what??

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
vwt2vietnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
vwt2vietnam
What running a altenator and generator??? which does what??

The original altenator's not create enough electricity for my bus so I installed a modern one.

The old one only use to make fan run. The new one create electricity for my bus

Last edited by vwt2vietnam on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW bus 1700 single port with A/C need more strength Reply with quote

I'd wager that fan is turning much slower than it's designed to due to belt slippage. It only has 1/3 the stock wrap around the pulley.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: