Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 Volt Indicators
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: 6 Volt Indicators Reply with quote

If you have one of these…a 6 volt Thermal Turn Signal Relay…get rid of it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most people I know with 6volt electrics have often had lighting problems and the turn signals on my ’58 have always been unreliable…sometimes they work, sometimes not.

In my experience these thermal relays have an annoying habit of throwing you off the track when trying to solve the problem. Understanding how the indicator circuit works, you apply logic and it defies you, (pun intended) at every turn Wink

The most recent symptom to tackle was left-turn signal not working; right-turn signal working. Seemed like a simple ground issue on the front bullet…everyone tells you most 6volt lighting issues are ground issues. It couldn’t be the relay as there is a single wire from the switch to relay to operate both left and right.

That throws suspicion on either ground for left bullet or loose or disconnected left wire in the switch. Logical really. I rigged an auxiliary ground from the left bullet to the ground on the horn mounting in the trunk. No change. Next I take the column switch apart to examine the contacts and the mechanical mechanism. All looks good, I lubricate and reassemble. When I test the indicators the left indicators comes on but doesn’t flash…try the right, they come on but don’t flash. For the first time the finger points at the Indicator Relay, the last suspect is the culprit.

I bought the Wofsburg West electronic relay from VW Heritage here in the UK…
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The transformation was instant…the sense of relief that you’re now going to be able to make your intentions clear…the flash-rate is the same as a modern car.

We all know how vulnerable we are in modern traffic and moderate our driving to compensate for out-dated equipment. Today I feel a little safer. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 6 Volt Indicators Reply with quote

Agreed; those WW 6v relays work well. I bought two when I ordered my replacement so I'd have a backup.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Volt Indicators Reply with quote

Agreed I fitted one recently to my bug ...at the time the indicators would work but the flash rate wasn't consistent and sometimes incredibly slow. Now they simply work as they should!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: