Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown Engine Tin Hole
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Have been repainting and putting things back together, and am having trouble locating the correct grommet for the hole to the right of the "D". It appears to be 18-20mm but I haven't found a part number yet for it

Any help would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Thanks. You always pull through for me. It's been a long time since I've been on. Life changes and things take a backseat sometimes. But trying to get her back up and running after dropping the set screw for the points in the engine tins.

Had to take the tins off to get to it, so might as well paint them. 3 years later ...

Thanks

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Is that not the location for the fuel pressure regulator to mount?

Is this tin original to your 73 carb'd bus?
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Yes, as far as I know.

Not sure what happened to the response I received earlier from hazetguy. The post disappeared. But he had said it was alternator, so checking that out.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

I'll have a look next time I'm near a 73 to confirm, I suspect it's for the EGR vacuum line that goes to the Tee in the brake booster line upstream of the check valve.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion/quick edit/delete.

The pic i originally posted:

Wasn't sure if that was accurate info. There are not as many holes in my tin.

Other views:

Last edited by hazetguy on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the alternator comes up through the tin near. The passenger side heater hole. I'll go ahead and order all my other grommets and get everything back together and then we'll see whats left.😀

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

That is the hot air pre-heat ducting path for 1700 and 1800 dual carburetor engines.

You're talking about the hole next to it? Wiring harness path for alternator. Grommet hard for me to find.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

It's all coming back to me now, Hazetguy's pic is correct, the heavy alternator wire to the starter does go there. The alternator harness does come up near the booster fan tube, then it splits and goes up to the regulator while the big wire continues forward to the starter.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Not sure how to repost a quote or copy a photo from a former post but --- what is the purpose of the vertical conduit attached to the back of the tin shown in Hazetguy's photo that attaches to the cup/dish like fixture on the engine side of the fire wall?

I dropped my Type 4 engine this past spring and came across this apparatus. I cleaned it up and painted it but am not clear of its function. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/411712.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/411717.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

It supplies hot air off the #1 cylinder to the carbs to speed warmup after a cold start.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
It supplies hot air off the #1 cylinder to the carbs to speed warmup after a cold start.

...and I use it as a hot air feed to my controversial Weber Progressive. Laughing
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Got it- is the warm air released into the engine bay in general or is there some kind of added attachment or duct work that directs the warm air directly on to the carb(s)?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Flex tube connects from donut up to air box. Hot air not dumped into engine bay. Search out 1972-1974 PDSIT dual carburetor.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Got it- is the warm air released into the engine bay in general or is there some kind of added attachment or duct work that directs the warm air directly on to the carb(s)?

No, definitely not directly into engine compartment. Originally, there was an airbox that the duct fed into, with additional attachments. I don't have pictures readily available, but have been collecting the parts through the years to go back original to solve the heat in the winter/progressive issue.

On the engine side, there is another piece of metal that bolts to it and then the other end is formed into a circle. Then the airbox attaches to that piece.

[EDIT]

Actually it appears in this photo supplied earlier.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Engine Tin Hole Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for the help. Will post some photos of the newly painted engine bay today.

Had to pull my tins again last night to respray, because after painting and reinstalling, SOMEONE got overly excited when he tested the new paint on the engine bay and didn't fully tape everything like he should have. oops, a little overspray. lol.

Oh well, time spent on the bus is better than time spent in the office.

Chek out the pics here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8532064#8532064

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: