Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburator problems
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Tim at Volkzbitz.com sells restored German Solex 34-3's that look brand new and work like it as well.

Tim has gone up significantly in price, to where it may be worth it to try something like this (note I said MAY):

http://www.bughaus.com/carburet1.htm

And it comes with extra jets.

Not trying to put Tim out of business, he did a stellar job on my 30 PICT 3 rebuild but I only paid $130. Same job now costs $160 and a 34 PICT 3 costs $180.
Just stating facts.

That's classic. When a company is making their money buying another companies carbs and fixing them before selling them. I guess they figure, who cares we're selling our junk either way.

But it would be interesting hearing from people who tried it out. A source for decent new carbs would be an asset down the road.

Jboy023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

The thing about the empi carb shown is with it completely tore down in the picture. If I move it or shake it I can hear something banging around in some of the holes. With everything hooked up properly I could not get it to idle unless giving it gas. So I put my bocar back on and thats when I have the issue of the fuel blowing through that tube. Just gonna do an overhaul on it it's been about two years since my last rebuild and see if that doesn't help. P.s. a mechanic told me that one of my intake valves could be a little too tight and causing a pulse through my intake Ive never heard of that issue lol
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Just for fun.

Original base price of a 74 beetle $2650 today that's about $13600. Tim rebuilding your carb $179. That's about $935 in 1974. Things that make you go on the road, should not be things you cheap out on. (Not knocking you OP) just a public service announcement.

Actually it would had been about $35. You can't extrapolate backwards in such a way because inflation only goes forward. Now if Tim had been charging $179 then, it would be about $6408 now.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

You can polish a turd so it looks shinny but it's still a turd. Wink The Volkswagens that run the best have ALL their original, restored parts on them. I know of two type 1 engine powered buses that have 15-25k miles put on them each year and run perfectly with all their original, German made, restored parts on them.

As I mentioned before, this site's frequent posts for help is a testament to the lousy, Chinese or third world parts being sold today that cause so much havoc to owners.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Just for fun.

Original base price of a 74 beetle $2650 today that's about $13600. Tim rebuilding your carb $179. That's about $935 in 1974. Things that make you go on the road, should not be things you cheap out on. (Not knocking you OP) just a public service announcement.

Actually it would had been about $35. You can't extrapolate backwards in such a way because inflation only goes forward. Now if Tim had been charging $179 then, it would be about $6408 now.

You are correct sir. I did that on purpose. It's only $179 in today's world. A pretty important part to have working at its best.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

Jboy023 wrote:
The thing about the empi carb shown is with it completely tore down in the picture. If I move it or shake it I can hear something banging around in some of the holes. With everything hooked up properly I could not get it to idle unless giving it gas. So I put my bocar back on and thats when I have the issue of the fuel blowing through that tube. Just gonna do an overhaul on it it's been about two years since my last rebuild and see if that doesn't help. P.s. a mechanic told me that one of my intake valves could be a little too tight and causing a pulse through my intake Ive never heard of that issue lol

Not sticking up for EMPI quality, the carb could have some issues, but there are check valves (little balls) inside one or two passages inside the carburetors. That could be what you are hearing and if so, it is perfectly normal and indicative of nothing.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Tim at Volkzbitz.com sells restored German Solex 34-3's that look brand new and work like it as well.

Tim has gone up significantly in price, to where it may be worth it to try something like this (note I said MAY):

http://www.bughaus.com/carburet1.htm

And it comes with extra jets.

Not trying to put Tim out of business, he did a stellar job on my 30 PICT 3 rebuild but I only paid $130. Same job now costs $160 and a 34 PICT 3 costs $180.
Just stating facts.

Yes my prices have gone up but Im constantly improving the way I restore the carburetors, not for speed of restoring, but for quality of the final product. I feel my prices are very fair. I also offer free Priority Mail shipping. You actually paid $169 for your restore sb001.
There is no comparison between one of my restored carburetors compared to a Chinese one, hold one in each hand and you will feel the difference.
I wonder how many Chinese ones have been returned? Over the last 5 years, Ive had just one that had a fault.

For the OP, sorry for taking over your post.
Have you checked your fuel pump pressure? These carburetors only need about 2.5 / 3 psi, much more and they will flood causing gas to overflow through the pipe you have your finger on. You could try adding another thin washer under the float valve, this should bring the level of the gas down in the fuel bowl.

Der Vergaser Meister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

one thing to check and one thing to clean.

Fuel dripping out of that tube means that the gas level is too high and that tube is the first place that excess fuel can find a way out of the bowl.

I would first check your fuel pressure. 2.5 to 3psi. I run my stock 1500 at 2 psi, as at one point I had the same issue of fuel dripping.

Second, the needle valve may need cleaning. Small tiny little bits of rust can get by the cheap plastic filters. The needle valve very very seldom opens very far at all, thus these little tiny bits of rust can catch in the valve seat and you will never see them! I empty the fuel bowl, use a straw on a can of carb cleaner and flush the carb cleaner through the fuel inlet pipe on the top of the carb. I also only use the metal can Fram g1 (I think thats the number) 10 micron fuel filter. I have had zero issues since installing the filter and flushing the needle valve.

As to the debate about the offshore parts. I have three 30 pict-3 carbs. Two solex and one from offshore. I am running the offshore one right now and its working fine. Around 1000 miles on it. I did find that the accelerator pump was leaking out of the box, but only a very minor amount. I fixed that and have had no other issues. The shafts on the other two carbs are pretty worn out. I could have them rebushed, but for the less than 80 bucks I paid for the offshore carb, I am pretty happy. Ill report back in 50,000 miles and we will see if it was a worthwhile investment.

I applaud Tim for providing what sounds like a great service to the vw community. Keep up the good work!

Just my thoughts.
Jboy023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

All the responses I've gotten off this post has helped way more then my local mechanic. I'm 21 and this is my first car so it's a learning experience I'm going to try a rebuild kit for now and see where that runs me but when it's something important like a carburator it's not something you want too go cheap on. Now I'm 114 dollars in the gutter and a week with out driving.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

VolkzBitz wrote:
You actually paid $169 for your restore sb001.

I did? Confused Well it's still working great so I got my money's worth Smile

I may try one of those Redlines on my 72 super just to see how it does, since no one here has apparently tried one. Bughaus seems to be pretty meticulous with regards to what they choose to sell-they don't just throw Empi and Euromax up on the shelf and say have at it, and I don't see any other VW vendor offering Redlines. Maybe that means something and maybe it doesn't since it's still a Chinese carb but it would be interesting to find out.

Last edited by sb001 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburator problems Reply with quote

Jboy023 wrote:
All the responses I've gotten off this post has helped way more then my local mechanic. I'm 21 and this is my first car so it's a learning experience I'm going to try a rebuild kit for now and see where that runs me but when it's something important like a carburator it's not something you want too go cheap on. Now I'm 114 dollars in the gutter and a week with out driving.

Well, at 21 you're learning that most new VW parts are sadly woeful in quality. Most of the parts are from China.

Us VW guys who've been around these cars for decades have found that unless you buy NOS parts, restoring the original parts that can be restored is the way to go.

All my VW engines are running their original restored carbs, distributors, generators, fuel pumps and engine tin.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: