Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

Has anyone installed a back up camera on their Eurovan?

I just purchased the Sony XAV-AX100 single DIN chassis (with double DIN face) and I'd like to use the back up camera feature.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for mounting and routing. I've been looking at the wireless units as well but also looking for feedback here.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

I would mount the camera up high on the upper lip of the hatch so you can route the wires through where the boot meets the body. My camera had a big plug I couldn't get to fit through the boot. Additionally I mounted it in the bottom of the VW emblem, but then realized it would be staring right at the bike rack. I was forced to abandon that approach.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
d-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

How about something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Transporter-T4-Direct...Swi8VZWL4H

This is the first one I hit on eBay, so probably cheaper/better ones around
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

This would be wild on a van...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

I don't understand backup cameras on cars. Can't they find a reliable one?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

Did you ever mount up the camera?

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

No although I’m on a west coast road trip now and wishing I had one. I did get my trailer hitch swing away box finished right before leaving, I’ll try to post up some details on that after the trip.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing a rear camera on the van. It works very well so far. I'm curious to see how the LEDs operate when it's dark. I got one of the AV cords (30ft) with the reverse signal wire embedded, so I was able to just patch in to the reverse light wire at the RR tail light.

Next up is the auto-dimming rearview mirror w/compass and outside temp.

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

Thanks for the post.

Where did you route the video wire?

Also, tell us more about the mirror upgrade, I'd love to have an outside temp in the review.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

I routed the wires through the flat spot in the hatch bellows, down the passenger side pillar and out the bottom of the well below the tail lights. I then basically followed the wires I installed for the aux. rear lights up forward on the driver side. For our stereos it just takes that AV line and the reverse signal wire. The camera automatically comes on when the trans shifts into reverse. It's pretty nice.

This is the mirror kit I'm installing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Dimming-Rear-Safety-...1944020106

I bench tested it and found the radar to be annoying and not worth the effort, especially since I now have the camera. I previously installed a used GM mirror in my Vanagon, but thought I'd try this Chinese unit. The compass and temp gauge seem to be pretty accurate. The problem with the stock T4 mirror is that it has a metal bracket glued to the windshield which I don't know how to remove. I may mount the new mirror "foot" just below the stock one and try and hide it somehow.

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

Cool.

What is "the flat spot in the bellows"?

And what did the back up system do that was annoying? Noise?

Keep us posted if you put this in, I'd be curious where you mount the temp probe and how it works. I use a cheap wireless unit from amazon mounted in in the hood in the front center by the catch; it seems to work pretty well when moving. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FKTT4C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I've been using a retired LG V10 phone with Torque on it for the compass. There is an intake air temp sensor on the BUS but it seems to be anywhere from 5-15 higher than actual outside ambient.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

Well, technically it's not the bellows, but the lipped flange that passes through the body. The section closest to the center of the van lays flat and has enough area to pass the AV plug. I cut an X in that section.

The radar beeps really loudly, but does seem accurate as it gets more frantic as I walked closer to the sensors.

The temp probe on my Vanagon sits just behind the chin spoiler and is very accurate. I plan on doing the same with the EV.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

I got to thinking that I might want to set up a toggle switch so that I can randomly turn on the camera while driving. Since I have a rear cargo carrier and plan to tow in the future, I will probably want to periodically check on how the loads are situated when on the road. What I don't yet know is whether the reverse trigger wire in the back of the Sony turns on the camera feed, or whether the separate 12v positive wire (also supplied by the reverse signal) is required for the camera to send its feed. I think the former just requires a toggle switch, but the latter would require the switch plus a two pole (NC) relay in the back. The relay would either pass a 12v signal to the camera and HU or default to reverse gear triggering.

y u rune klassik?
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

For a rear camera, I got something similar to this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/License-Plate-Rear-Camera...ense+plate

(I actually convinced Car Toys to throw it in for free when I bought the Sony head unit from them)

I didn't want to drill any holes in the rear hatch, so the license plate mount seemed like the way to go. For power, I ran a wire that tapped into the reverse lights. For the video wire, I ran it up through the hatch, then along the top of the passenger side, down the A-pillar and behind the dash to the head unit.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

I still have a similar license camera embedded in my VW hatch emblem, but aborted that approach when I couldn't fit the cord through the bellows and realized that the camera would be staring directly at my cargo carrier at that height.

Did you have to remove all the upper interior panels in order to feed the wiring up there? I opted to run them under the van, but inside would certainly be a cleaner install.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

Ok, I overcomplicated the switched video issue. Here's an easier solution:

Link

y u rune klassik?
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Did you have to remove all the upper interior panels in order to feed the wiring up there? I opted to run them under the van, but inside would certainly be a cleaner install.

Yeah, that was the biggest hassle. I removed or at least loosened most of the trim pieces - for some of the run along the top edge I was able to snake a long dowel or something through and pull the wire toward the front.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

Because I like to complicate uncomplicated things, I'm now on a quest to install a front-facing camera that can be wired to the Sony HU. Since I already have a license mount type camera, I'll just use it for a different application, and then try to find a kit like the following to allow the splitting between front and rear feeds to the HU.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Front-Rear-View-Parki...0677.m4598

I'll still use the Diodes to allow automatic backup functions and manual rear/front camera feeds.

y u rune klassik?
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for installing back up camera on Eurovan? Reply with quote

For my backup camera I wanted to be able to see past my bike carrier and to get a good view down at my hitch. So, I had to make something that would fit my needs. It's pretty simple, but so far has done what I needed. I bought some AL channel and AL angle. I cut the angle to make a left and right bracket that are mounted to the rear hatch. This, in turn, hold the U channel as an extension for the camera so I can get a decent downward view. The wiring runs into the upper rear via a hole I drilled, along the driver side all the way to the A pillar and then down inside the dash to the head unit. I decided to wire the camera to a switch that I added in the dash instead of the shifter. This way I can run the camera without having to have the shifter in reverse.

The camera has a very wide angle. From this camera position, I can see down to the hitch plus about 6 feet behind the van.

Looks like the van could use a wash.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Installing back up camera on Eurovan Reply with quote

I got around to buying and installing a backup camera.

I went with a small camera by PARKVISION, it looks the same as many others on amazon and ebay. The camera with wires was only $13 shipped and it works really well. Here's a link to the camera I bought (click here)

I cut, shaped and painted a piece of Maple wood for the mounting base and attached with double sided gorilla tape.

For wires, I drilled a hole in the body in the gutter right behind where the camera is mounted, then routed the wires along the top driver side, down the A-pillar, behind the dash and to the head unit. fishing it through was a pain in the ass but now its done and I'm happy. To pull the wires I used two pieces of dowel taped together and fished them from the rear to the light over the table, then from there up past the B-post, then loosened the trim on the A-post and back over the door and pulled it behind that trim (this piece was a pain, you have to pop off the cap on the grab handle, starting from the bottom, then pick out the cap up behind the sunshade mounting point to remove the screw behind it.)

The camera is powered from the reverse lights which also sends a signal to the head unit to switch to the backup camera view. I want to put in a toggle switch as well so that I can turn on the camera at any time.

Here are some pictures:

Last edited by markcm2 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: