Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaky Boot ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62dcw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Leaky Boot ? Reply with quote

Ordered my rear wheel cylinder for my 62' Bug after inspecting it behind the drum. Everything else appears to be good, but will inspect closer when time comes to change out the wheel cylinder. It was leaking behind the boot end on the left side of the cylinder.

One thing I did notice is when I jacked up the bug in the rear to pull the left tire, oil was leaking behind the axle boot ? More so when I had the bug up higher but not when the bug with it's tire mounted was on the ground ?

The boots are really not more than 6 or 7 years old and the vehicle really hasn't been driven a lot over those years. All the brake issue including new lines and shoes were addressed back then.

Haven't really looked closely at the boot but what do you think may be wrong ?

If it is the boot with a crack, how difficult are they to change and are there any short-cuts to changing them out ?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Boot ? Reply with quote

I'd make sure that the boot is actually leaking when the VW is on the ground.

There are split boots available, which are much easier to install than the original-type non-split boot. Do a Search to find instructions, like how to orient the split, how to do final tightening with the VW on the ground.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
62dcw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky Boot ? Reply with quote

Upon closer examination I can see the leak at the seam which is at the bottom of the split boot opposite the come together halves that are bolted together. It's right where the boot sort of folds or rolls over the frame horn of the floor pan.

One thing I did notice that the boot halves where they come together with bolts, are position at 12 o'clock on both of my axle boots ?

I thought when you install these boots, the closer is supposed to be at either 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock ?

In the position where these axles boots are now, is that the seam opposite of the closing halves, is at the bottom and therefore rubs the frame horns.

That wear and leak maybe was a result of how the axle boots were positioned ?

Am I thinking about this the right way ?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Boot ? Reply with quote

Axle boot installation procedure (per me):

Position car so that the axle on the side you are doing is as close to parallel to the ground as possible.

Remove old boot

CLEAN the hell out of the surfaces where the boot will seal. I like starter fluid as a degreaser.

Put a bead of RTV (I prefer Permatex Right Stuff) along the seam where the 2 halves join.

get the boot on the axle and installed the little bolts and such. You want to squeeze out some of the sealer. but not distort the boots.

Slip it over the tranny flange (much easier since the axle is up off the frame horns, isnt it?) Install the clamp and snug it down. Make sure its as tiaght against the flange as possible and looks even. Seam should be around 10 or 2 oclock, but 9 and 3 is fine.

Put the clamp on the small end and compress the boot about 1/2"(push the small end toward the tranny), then tighten the clamp.

Top off your tranny fluid and go for a drive. It won't leak.

12 oclock is the worst place to put the seam since you have all that material there that has to constantly flex. But I see LOTS of cars done like that.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Boot ? Reply with quote

See above.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Boot ? Reply with quote

62dcw wrote:
Upon closer examination I can see the leak at the seam which is at the bottom of the split boot opposite the come together halves that are bolted together. It's right where the boot sort of folds or rolls over the frame horn of the floor pan.

One thing I did notice that the boot halves where they come together with bolts, are position at 12 o'clock on both of my axle boots ?

I thought when you install these boots, the closer is supposed to be at either 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock ?

In the position where these axles boots are now, is that the seam opposite of the closing halves, is at the bottom and therefore rubs the frame horns.

That wear and leak maybe was a result of how the axle boots were positioned ?

Am I thinking about this the right way ?
jj

12 oclock position of boot seam is WRONG, and maybe why the boot has leaked. do a seach on samba for , installation tips for correct seam location and how to tighten the clamps. this subject has been widely discussed. the procedure is in the official service manuals too.

good luck

PS

do not forget to top off the tranny to replace what was lost in gear oil.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky Boot ? Reply with quote

Get german boots mine leaked no matter what I tried,put a set of german ones on no leaks since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: