Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

[Fixed!] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: [Fixed!] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

I've loaned my van to my Uncle & Aunt that are on a 2 month road trip (starting with Eclipse chasing in Wyoming).

This evening they had the temp light come on, and pulled over. Found small leak in the radiator.. looks like a stone hit it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trying to get them to a radiator repair place tomorrow.

Any advice on vanagon radiator repair or replacement in/around Twin Falls, ID?

It looks like enough coolant was lost that the temp led is flashing for low coolant level. If they fill it up at the pressure tank would that work, or is it likely to need a flush now?

Last edited by ohhorob on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

Does not need a "flush"... Repair/replace rad, replace lost coolant, bleed & drive.

Or...crack open the pressure cap & run with no pressure if necessary.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

to get down the road you just need to stop the flow/loss from the damaged tube. remove the fins for about 1-2in on both sides of the damage. and with long nose pliers and possibly some sealant goop, fold the tubes flat and then back over themselves.
do the radiator cap (coolant bottle cap) trick to alleviate internal pressure from heat expansion.

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showfull.php?photo=196616
Tubular type core repair

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

A small leak can be sealed with radiator sealing product. Maybe hit the local Subaru dealer up for some Subaru Cooling Conditioner.

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-SOA635071-Coolant-System-Conditioner/dp/B00IGZP2UE
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll second for the Subaru product. If they were here in Coeur d'alene ID, I'd grab mine off the shelf. I always carry it on road trips.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

gently pinch off.. and ad bars leak..
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of coolant/radiator stop leak additives
this radiator is already damaged and needs to be replaced.
pinch off the tube and get it to repair..
or like my uncle, pinch off the tube and drive it for 5 more years.. it doesn't 'need' all of the cores right?

if done with some aptitude it'll run for the rest of their travels with the pinched off tube.. but always a worry.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

In my early years of learning to wrench (as opposed to my latter years of learning, now over a quarter century later), one of my mentors told me that he once had a Triumph Spitfire with a leaking radiator. He let it cool, and added a couple tablespoons of ground black pepper to the radiator, then idled the engine again. As he watched, the stream of leaking coolant became a trickle, then stopped entirely.

I asked how long that would hold?

“Mmm-mmm,” he shrugged, “that was ten years ago, and my ex-girlfriend is still driving it …”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I'm not a fan of coolant/radiator stop leak additives
this radiator is already damaged and needs to be replaced.
pinch off the tube and get it to repair..
or like my uncle, pinch off the tube and drive it for 5 more years.. it doesn't 'need' all of the cores right?

if done with some aptitude it'll run for the rest of their travels with the pinched off tube.. but always a worry.

no it does not need them all.. you can cut out 5-10 and really not affect performance.. ( 2l years at Robbins radiator in daytona .. 1year in Robins radiator in deland and 3 years at Allmans radiator in south daytona) I have cut my share out..
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

and actually ya dont cut them out.. you pull them out at each end of the header and then solder the hole up.. fixed 100%
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

Many years ago, I "fixed" a leaking radiator on a Chevy g20 by jamming a bar of ivory soap against the leak. It actually did get me the 30 or so miles i had to go still. Was suggested by somebody who pulled over to assist, I was pretty surprised it worked
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input Very Happy

We've been put in touch with some local Vanagon owners and they have a used replacement available.

They're catching up soon to crush-repair the leaky one and drive somewhere to do the swap and bleed the air out.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

ohhorob wrote:
Thanks for all the input Very Happy

We've been put in touch with some local Vanagon owners and they have a used replacement available.

They're catching up soon to crush-repair the leaky one and drive somewhere to do the swap and bleed the air out.

excellent
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

Take an old cap, drill through the bottom so that it will not hold pressure and then toss it into the glove box. This may be all or most of what you need to get home when you have a coolant leak.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: [Fixed!] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

Thanks to friendly and incredibly generous locals, they're back on the road Surprised

Quite the helpful community around these rolling rubik's cubes, both here and in real life!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: [on-the-road] Radiator Leak outside Twin Falls, ID Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Take an old cap, drill through the bottom so that it will not hold pressure and then toss it into the glove box. This may be all or most of what you need to get home when you have a coolant leak.

That's a good idea. That Bars stuff can cause long term damage.

A side note, the newer OEM coolants have a sealing additive built in. VW G13 has it. You will see a white powdery formation after it drys from a leak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: