Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo Question, with Picture...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

So, I try real hard to keep the oil inside the engine. So last week, I noticed oil spots on the back door. I found a broken blow-by hose and replaced it. While fitting it to the intake, I noticed something:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah. So I know this needs to be fixed, and I've been looking for this pipe, but it is proving difficult to find. (Difficult, as in- a pipe by itself, and not part of a NEW turbo!)
So, my question to the Gurus: How long can I wait? I'm broke until end of the month, but should I avoid driving at all?
Or is this not a big deal, and I can fix it when I get a chance?
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

You can get a new tube for 60,- €.

But where is your tube to the wastegate ?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

you can install a 'catch can' oil separator to catch & condense the blow by oil and keep it out of the intake, which isn't really designed to retain oil anyways.

and that small wastegate fitting just open whistling dixie there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

You can reduce the oil vapor in blowby by extending the UFO and oil filler port on the valve cover with this part: https://www.google.com/search?&q=06A103465D . I put that special oil filler on to reduce the oil blowing out My 1Y engine. When I put the turbo on I discovered it suddenly had a lot of blowby, oil mist was spraying out the vent tube due to higher engine pressure (1Y is an industrial diesel and not optimized for a turbo). The cap with additional ports split the flow between more areas of pressure, so it reduced the oil blowing out. This extender has two openings to plug the tube into coming from below, other end is vented. It also makes it easier to put oil into the top. One opening means all your blowby has to come out the valve cover which increases the velocity of the blowby coming up from below so it carries more oil vapor. The topic is discussed on some of the diesel forums as a solution to older engines with blowby.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
...and that small wastegate fitting just open whistling dixie there?

Yup. That is why we are now gathered here.
To figure it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
This extender has two openings to plug the tube into coming from below, other end is vented.

I see two similar parts: 06A103465 with one tube and 06A103465D with two tubes. If I read your statement above correctly, the second tube from part # 06A103465D is simply vented to the atmosphere? Is there a check valve inside or something? I'm just curious about the connections and inner workings between those two part numbers since 06A103465 appears to be easily obtainable here in the US while 06A103465D looks like a European part.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Yes, I had to order part from Europe #06A103465D with two tubes. The downstream hose is vented to atmosphere on my van, but I am rarely in a big city where I feel guilty. There are no valves in the part. It simply slows down the airflow allowing some of the blowby to lose its oil vapor, by giving the gas two ways to get out of the engine. I have the hose dripping into a can, but it has never dripped a drop. Its just a way to monitor engine wear.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

To figure it out.

Your wastegate is not working.
Turbopressuer way over 1 bar.
No bueno !
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
Team WorldTour wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

To figure it out.

Your wastegate is not working.
Turbopressuer way over 1 bar.
No bueno !

...but you told me to tighten the bolt on the wastegate. It's a K14 Turbo, so I thought it could handle the engine load.
At least, that's the conclusion I came to from your guidance....
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

By turning the wastgate screw you can adjust the pressure to your gusto.
I would not go over 1 bar. I never sayed to tight it full.
In your case running without the tube the pressuere has no limit.
For rising the pressure with the wastegate screw you need a gauge.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

The K14/K24 only allow 1-2 psi of adjustment before the wastegate stops working properly at higher rpms.

You can get a barbed banjo fitting and use silicone hose to run to the wastegate. If you want to increase the boost above stock, then add a manual boost controller in that line. The ball-spring style are my preference.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
The ball-spring style are my preference.

Could you elaborate on this, or post a picture?
I'm not sure what it is I should look for.
Cheers!
Nico
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Search for Dawes Device.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
The K14/K24 only allow 1-2 psi of adjustment before the wastegate stops working properly at higher rpms.

Atleast on all my turbos this is not true.
I can ajust my turbos with the wastegate screw from 0.6 bar (stock) at any pressure up to full block (wastegate not working).
My AAZ with watercooled k14 is ajusted by the screw up to 0,8 bar.
I can rise the pressure in the front with a vent higher. But with open vent the pressure never rises over 0,8.

My mTDI with k24 is set to 0,9 bar by the screw. Never rises higher.

Many other van engines i did, were set by the screw to the wanted pressure.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

The screw on the wastegate adjusts the spring pressure slightly, but also limits the travel of the wastegate valve. If you adjust adjust it up more than 1 or 2 psi (~11 max) then the wastegate valve will no longer open far enough to pass enough of the exhaust gases at higher rpms. The result is an unregulated high rpm boost spike.

TWT, if you do a search on manual boost controllers, you will see what the ball/spring style is. Basically it is an adjustable check valve that only allows the boost pressure to reach the wastegate after the desired max boost is reached. It can be used to accurately regulate max boost above the stock wastegate setting. Many of the boost controllers are an adjustable air bleed in the line to the wastegate. That style does a worse job of regulating boost.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
and I've been looking for this pipe, but it is proving difficult to find.

Missunderstanding.
i thought you want the original silicon tube from turbo to intake.
The pipe to wastegate i can send you, for 15 incl. shipping.
You can pay next month.
Pm me your adress.

You can connect the gauge with a T to your pipe from intake to lda.
I can also send you 4m Tecalan pipe, if you wish.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
The screw on the wastegate adjusts the spring pressure slightly, but also limits the travel of the wastegate valve. If you adjust adjust it up more than 1 or 2 psi (~11 max) then the wastegate valve will no longer open far enough to pass the exhaust gases at higher rpms. The result is an unregulated high rpm boost spike.

TWT, if you do a search on manual boost controllers, you will see what the ball/spring style is. Basically it is an adjustable check valve that only allows the boost pressure to reach the wastegate after the desired max boost is reached. It can be used to accurately regulate max boost above the stock wastegate setting. Many of the boost controllers are an adjustable air bleed in the line to the wastegate. That style does a worse job of regulating boost.

Ok, Andrew, it works for me since 13 years.
My turbo pressure gauge show what i write. I have at 2000 revs 0.8 bar and at 4000 revs 0,8 bar if the engine is forced.
On my mTDI the same with 0,9.
I never rise the pressure on a engine/van without gauge.

If it does not work for you, it is your problem Wink
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Nico,
if you want to go Andrews way, which is the other way to Rome, just a bit more far, you need:

https://www.ebay.de/i/350985140374?chn=ps&dispItem=1

8m Tecalan pipe 4x1mm

I would take the original metal pipe from turbo to wastegate and cut it in the middle. Than you bow it away from hot parts to connect the Tecalan pipe.
The outside diametr of the metal pipe is 4,75mm. Making the 4mm Tecalan pipe hot will allow you to conect direct on the metal pipe withou using silicon or rubber conections.
This is better than fitings as the conection is more far away from hot parts.

You add a T connector for the gauge before the vent (above) in the tube than comes from Turbo. The tube on the other end of the vent goes to the wastegate.

Remember, rising the turbo pressure needs adjustment on your injection pump if you want more hp.

Without a oilcooler i would never run more than stock pressure.
Without intercooler i would never run more than 0.8 bar.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

without a pre-turbo EGT sensor and gauge, I wouldn't run anything that's not the stock setting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Question, with Picture... Reply with quote

Oh my god. EGT

I wonder how 100tsds of chiped new engines or m-tuned old engine can run without it Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: