Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent Windows
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Vent Windows Reply with quote

I remember way back when a craze of removing the vent windows and installing "one piece" windows was the "look" to have. As it is said "there's nothing new under the sun", I just noticed these 2 pictures in the gallery which don't look to be photo chopped. Apparently splits did not have the vents but ovals did!?! Was that a US vs Euro spec thing? Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

no, thats normal. splits did not have vent wings. they started with zwitters

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

Funny how I never really noticed that! Laughing

FWIW, I don't like the vent wing windows. After taking a bee to the face, I NEVER open them anymore! Mad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

If you want to see something cool...the 411 and 412 did not have a vent window. Instead they ground a notch in the upper forward edge of the driver and passenger door windows...about 3/4" deep.

The windows roll up into the door frame very deep so when you roll the window down 3/4"....it exposes a 1 foot long vent strip. This is draft free ventilation and flows along the roof liner to the back valance and is pulled out the louvers behind the rear quarter windows on the sedans and out of the porthole gills on the wagon.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
If you want to see something cool...the 411 and 412 did not have a vent window. Instead they ground a notch in the upper forward edge of the driver and passenger door windows...about 3/4" deep.

The windows roll up into the door frame very deep so when you roll the window down 3/4"....it exposes a 1 foot long vent strip. This is draft free ventilation and flows along the roof liner to the back valance and is pulled out the louvers behind the rear quarter windows on the sedans and out of the porthole gills on the wagon.

Ray

You mean like they did in the 40's like the one pictured above?

Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

You mean like they did in the 40's like the one pictured above?

Laughing

Ha!....actually I just noticed that in your picture Rolling Eyes ...dammit...my two glass eyes are just not working!

Yep!...just like that! Very Happy

So they actually pulled a page out of the old school book on the 411/412!

Thanks! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

I'll say this though- those are a little scary! Riding in a buddy's '51 and watching the glass wobble around when rolled a few inches down is downright nerve wracking! I kept thinking it would work it's way out of the regulator and vanish! When it's rolled up into vent position, or all the way down- no problem. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

Here's an example from a '51 Beetle that I snapped at Kelley Park in April of 2016.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Funny how I never really noticed that! Laughing

FWIW, I don't like the vent wing windows. After taking a bee to the face, I NEVER open them anymore! Mad

Hah! Once has a bee fly straight down the back of my shirt through the ragtop and sting me in the middle of the back!! 29 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

I had one sting me on the left arm as it splatted into it, hung over out window sill. Can't blame the vent wing for that one.

Temperature calibration: In the relatively dry heat of SoCal, the vent wing cools you off through evaporation of perspiration at road speeds of 30 mph and up. This holds for outside temps up to 102 degrees. By 1-4 degrees, it's like a hair drier, making you hotter.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

I always assumed they were for smokers, ventilating the cabin from the fumes
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I always assumed they were for smokers, ventilating the cabin from the fumes

Not sure of the actual reason on early cars.....and they were good for smokers on later cars like the 411/412....but on the 411/412 they were an active part of the flow through ventilation system to keep the rear window and quarter windows dry in humid weather.

It was in the manual. They work quite well!

Hitest....why would you think those windows "flop around"? They are full held in the window channel grooves. No vibration at all.

If your buddy's glass was wobbling....thats a different problem altogether. I will post some pictures from the type 4 in the am. Ray
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

yes, I would say that floppy window glass is due to worn out seal channels. a 'restored' set of split window channels will not flop around at all.

the cut in the window may be for smokers, but it is also to allow airflow through the cabin. march of 1951 and earlier cars did not have 'crotch coolers' but from april 51 to september 52 they did, and by opening the window sightly it allows the crotch coolers to work significantly better. otherwise the cabin is a tight air space not allowing air flow.

but...vent wings work much better! price we pay to have splits Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Windows Reply with quote

Here is a late example of this technique. While it is "somewhat" useful for a smoker.....its not really what its for in this car, although it does sweep smoke in the car upward along the head liner and it flows out the louvers at the rear.

Its for draft free ventilation at highway speed. Sorry for the poor pictures. I had to put something behind the glass so I could see it.

Some of the earlier 411 2 doors and later four doors had a slightly bigger/deeper ground glass vent area. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: