Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

Can someone explain why higher than normal fuel pressure from a failed regulator would cause you to run rich? Does higher pressure in the rails cause the injectors to spray more fuel than the computer wants them to? Does the higher pressure cause the injectors to leak or does the excess pressure cause a leak back through the vacuum line into the intake? [/code]
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

Yes and yes. The good news is that a new regulator will cure the problem promptly.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

A properly functioning O2 sensor will compensate for increased fueling. It's surprising how much it can deal with. I would imagine huge amounts being sucked through the regulator from the vacuum hose would end up in your oil sump. Does the oil smell like gas?

J
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

The regulator is there to give a specified fuel pressure so that the injectors will spray the required amount of fuel during the time they are open. Too much or too little pressure means too much or too little fuel. Yes the O2 sensor can make up for a fair change in pressure, but not at full throttle when the system goes open loop.

If the FPR isn't doing its job then buy a new one. Probably not a bad thing to just do every 10 years or so anyway. Bluebus's idea to use fuel rated hose for the vacuum line and to use clamps on the hose isn't a bad idea either, as you don't want a failed regulator diaphragm to end up spraying fuel all over the top of the engine including over top of the distributor. IMO VW engineering on locating the FPR was a fail, I didn't like it the first time I saw it. Sad

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
Can someone explain why higher than normal fuel pressure from a failed regulator would cause you to run rich? Does higher pressure in the rails cause the injectors to spray more fuel than the computer wants them to? Does the higher pressure cause the injectors to leak or does the excess pressure cause a leak back through the vacuum line into the intake? [/code]

In the most direct terms, the ECU injects fuel by triggering the injectors to stay open for a certain amount of time. That certain amount of time is a result of the programming from the factory that takes into account a lot of constants and variables. Things like air density, engine temperature, intake air temperature, rpm, throttle position, etc. One of the constants that is programmed into the ECU is the fuel pressure. The ECU has no way of knowing what the fuel pressure is so it has no way of adjusting injection duration based upon fuel pressure. It just assumes that fuel pressure is a constant 30 psi (let's say, just making up a number).

So at the simplest level, if the injectors are going to be open for x amount of time, if the fuel pressure is higher, more fuel is going to squeeze through in that x amount of time than it would if the pressure was lower. Hence rich mixture.

In theory I would guess that a high fuel pressure could cause leaking from the injectors when they are closed but I would suspect it would have to be a MUCH higher fuel pressure, not just a couple psi.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am trying to understand this, as I have two vans where the fuel pressure is not behaving the same in each van. On one (the one with the hot start problem from my other thread) the fuel pressure seems normal while idling, 32psi with the hose on, 36psi off. When the van is shut down, fuel pressure stays at about 32 for a few minutes but gradually tapers off. After ten minutes, it is 27-28 psi or so. It takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes for the fuel pressure to bleed off completely.

On the other van, fuel pressure at idle also seems normal 32 psi while running with the hose off, 36 off, but on shut down, fuel pressure jumps back to 36 psi and stays there for hours. After 24 hours, there is still some level of residual fuel pressure in the rails. This van has no hot start problem, but I suspect it also "runs rich," and on start up--before the OXS kicks it--it has a low, sickly idle, but runs fairly well when up to speed.

So, which van is behaving abnormally? Part of the reason, for having two is to compare them when there is problem, but that's not going to work if they are both broken! Razz
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

There is a check valve built into the fuel pump that is meant to keep fuel from bleeding back into the tank after shutdown. The idea is to keep the fuel system pressurized as long as possible so that next time you go to start it, it will start quickly. Whereas, if pressure has bled off completely, it may take a few extra cranks of the starter before it fires.

So in that sense, Van 1, where the fuel pressure bleeds down completely after 45 min, would seem to have a leaky check valve.

Van 2 sounds like it is behaving properly but there are lots of other things that can cause low sickly idle besides rich mix.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am trying to understand this, as I have two vans where the fuel pressure is not behaving the same in each van. On one (the one with the hot start problem from my other thread) the fuel pressure seems normal while idling, 32psi with the hose on, 36psi off. When the van is shut down, fuel pressure stays at about 32 for a few minutes but gradually tapers off. After ten minutes, it is 27-28 psi or so. It takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes for the fuel pressure to bleed off completely.

On the other van, fuel pressure at idle also seems normal 32 psi while running with the hose off, 36 off, but on shut down, fuel pressure jumps back to 36 psi and stays there for hours. After 24 hours, there is still some level of residual fuel pressure in the rails. This van has no hot start problem, but I suspect it also "runs rich," and on start up--before the OXS kicks it--it has a low, sickly idle, but runs fairly well when up to speed.

So, which van is behaving abnormally? Part of the reason, for having two is to compare them when there is problem, but that's not going to work if they are both broken! Razz

There are many parts that go into making these start and idle well. I suspect you have some things not functioning right on either rig. Yes the fuel pressure should take a long time to bleed off. If the fuel is being lost via one or more of the injectors it can cause hot starting problems as well as cold starting problems. You could add some FI cleaner to the tank to see if that will stop the leak down.

A non functioning AAR can cause a poor idle on a cold engine.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

The O2 system controls fueling over all. Even at idle, once warmed up and several moments after a warm restart the O2 takes over everything. It really does not care about fuel pressure, as long as it is adequate. If you spray more fuel the feedback loop will adjust for it in the blink of an eye.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

These are dinosaur FI systems with little sensitivity and even smaller range of adjustment. These are not wide-band O2 sensors
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

240Gordy wrote:
These are dinosaur FI systems with little sensitivity and even smaller range of adjustment. These are not wide-band O2 sensors

I have spent thousands of miles monitoring O2 function and air fuel ratios in real time. YMMV

J
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

FWIW - I had a regulator that would not hold pressure at all once the engine was shut down. I only discovered it by accident when I was checking pressure as part of an unrelated diagnostic -- I never noticed any starting or running issue.

I did replace it and I carry the 'failed' one as a spare as it would certainly work well enough to get me home.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Is there an ambient temperature above which the AAR is taken totally out of the loop, like on a hot summer day, or should it always be open at start-up?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Does High Fuel Pressure Cause Rich Running? Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Is there an ambient temperature above which the AAR is taken totally out of the loop, like on a hot summer day, or should it always be open at start-up?

In most climates it is always going to be a bit open at cold start. Can't say at 120° in Arizona. Maybe others will know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: