Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible Info?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YoungOldMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Possible Info? Reply with quote

Looking at buying this buggy; (title-less unfortunatly). Its to close and to good of a price for me to pass up.
Any one on here from indiana and ever dealt with getting one of these titled?
Also looking to wheel it and take it on the road.
Anyone no what chassis this is (make/year)?
Where would a vin # be if it even has one any help is much appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Info? Reply with quote

You need to call your DMV and ask about home built vehicles...every state has different laws...the vin # would normally be located just behind the tranny shift coupler access hole on the tunnel....yours was cut out when the rear tortion houseing was removed...it's not entirely impossible to get street legal plates but most states do require a inspection from a state agency...minimum to pass; vehicle must have a safety glass windshield, working wipers and washer, mechanical E-brake, turn signals, hi and low beam head lights and shoulder style seat belts and a working horn...plus you will have to get specialty built vehicle insurance which is not cheap....this is why in most states people will just build a pan buggy so you can keep title as a VW bug, insurance is cheap and it will already have a vin#...simple.

If it was me, even if the guy gave me that buggy for free you only have 2 options:
1. Buy it for the parts
2. Buy it and enjoy it off road use only

Good luck on your research Cool
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Info? Reply with quote

Check with your state, but the two options above are probably your only options. Check the frame over for a metal State Issued Vin# each state is different. MO put mine on the "A Pillar" portion of the frame by the drivers leg. I also engraved the numbers into the torsion housing for my own piece of mind.

Without some form of existing Vin and receipts for the motor, trans axle, and all tubing used for fabricate the frame it will be a lot of hoops to jump through. I would only consider it an off-road play toy and only if it was $1200 assuming it runs good.
YoungOldMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Info? Reply with quote

He was at $2000 and that was a month ago its down to $1700 now. Round here running ones usually dont go less than $2000 (usually titleless). I called the bmv and they refered me to the state police which said as long as it has working brakes, headlightbs, seatbelts, horn, tail/brake lights it should be good to go, but i got a feeling the county bmv/county police will frown; jus trying to figure it out before i get in over my head. I love to wheel but my ole' lady wants to drive it to town grab food, go drive it to the park, go to drive ins crapvlike that. Jus dont wanna get her hopes up
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Info? Reply with quote

This may be place to start....

http://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_IN.pdf

Comes from this source....

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=titling&g=semaga

Be sure to get Bill of Sale from seller even if he does NOT have legal title.... It shows your BMV that your intent to be all legal and proper... If there is problem with sale, its on seller.... IF you can get proper street legal title it increases value... Even fall back to proper off road title if your state has the option...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Info? Reply with quote

Someone here will ID that chassis, I bet !
YoungOldMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Info? Reply with quote

I hop somebody can im going to look at it sunday and any infor prior to making a decision would deff be a big hep
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Info? Reply with quote

Looks like a Berrien 295. Measure the wheelbase. Might be a Warrior.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: