Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

This is a bit of a frustrating story. The bus was running fine, but one thing I thought I should definitely do before going on holiday was to replace the fuel lines. And so I did. After having completed the job successfully (or so I thought) we were about to start the holiday drive today, but the bus won't really start.

In summary, if you want to skip the long read ahead (I was purposely verbose to preempt questions and make diagnosing easier):

- It takes quite a lot of cranking to start
- Without depressing the gas pedal, the engine won't start
- At the times it then does start, the gas pedal must still be depressed for a while to prevent the engine from dying. At some point the idle will then be self-sustained, but the engine might die after a while as revs start going down. It does not give me too much confidence to do long drives in this situation.

Here's what happened:

1. Installed pressure gauge on the test port of the fuel ring
2. Refilled the tank with about 20 liters of fuel (ca. 5.3 gallons). I had drained it before doing the fuel line replacement
3. Before the first start, with the ignition on, I pushed the AFM flap to get the pump running. The idea was to build initial pressure and to measure it.
4. Pressure was 2.7 bar solid (39 psi) while the pump was running (and engine NOT running). I could also at least once hear the fuel returning to the tank via the fuel pressure regulator. So far so good.
5. Once I stopped actuating the AFM flap and the fuel pump was turned off, pressure dropped to about 2 bar (29 psi)
6. About 5 minutes later, pressure had dropped to 1.8 bar (26 psi). I believe this is normal.
7. Started the bus. It didn't take much cranking, but as usual, I had to press the gas pedal to let more air in. Success!
8. Started to reverse (I was parked in a tight spot) and carefully maneuver.
9. After 1-2 minutes, the engine stalled. It might actually been me while maneuvering, but I seem to remember revs going down.
10. Tried to start again, lots of cranking, no joy. Tried again, the same.
11. Had to push back the bus to the garage.
12. Double-checked vacuum hoses for usual suspects. All connected and seemingly tight
13. Double-checked FI harness connectors. All good.
14. Checked oil level. Near the low mark. Refilled until top mark.
15. Tried to start again. Very hard start: extended cranking while depressing the gas pedal. Several times it would seem to start, but it would die as soon as I took the foot off the pedal.
16. Tried once more. Same as before (hard, long start), but this time I kept the foot on the pedal and wouldn't let it die. Managed to start it, but not a good feeling. If I can trust the tacho, revs were slightly under 800 rpm.
17. Left the engine running, measured fuel pressure: 2.3 bar (33.3 psi). Within spec.

At this point I left it and I thought I'd start going through the possible causes. I didn't feel confident to drive a few thousand miles in this situation.

Here's what I had done:

In case it's relevant. I did a few things more than just replacing the fuel lines while I was in there. Some examples:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Detail of replaced fuel ring (please ignore the disconnected vacuum hose and missing harness at the time of taking the picture)

Detail of restored FPR and new vacuum control line connectors

And the full list:
- Replaced all fuel lines with 7.3 mm Cohline 2240 FI hose
- Replaced all hose clamps with 13 mm stainless ABA clamps
- Removed rust from metal fuel lines, then zinc-coated them
- Removed rust from injectors, zinc coated blank metal (I'll repaint them at another time)
- Replaced fuel filter
- Cleaned up fuel pump externally
- Removed rust from fuel pressure regulator, then zinc-coated it
- Cleaned up AAR
- Inspected and cleaned up molded vacuum hoses. They were all fine except the one from crankcase breather to S-Boot. I repaired a crack with Permatex Ultra Black there.
- Inspected and cleaned up S-Boot. Still elastic, no cracks.
- Replaced rusted metal connector from S-Boot vacuum hose to oil breather with the newer nylon-made part.
- Replaced all vacuum control line connectors (the small braided hose bits). The originals had cracks all over the place.
- Cleaned up oil breather. Made the small pinhole on the pressure valve free and checked it held vacuum.
- Replaced oil breather gasket. Secured it to the oil breather with Hylomar M.
- Removed rust and cleaned up FI grounds

Here's what I measured:

- Fuel pressure, values within spec and as stated above
- Auxiliary Air Regulator: while it was on the bench:
• At ambient temp, the gate valve was half open
• After a few minutes in the freezer, the gate valve was fully open
• Back to ambient temperature, the gate valve was back to half open after a few minutes
• After applying 12 V between its terminals, the gate fully closed after 2-3 minutes
- FI grounds measured at pins 16 and 17 from the ECU connector, harness side: 0 Ohm to ground star connector on the engine.
- TSII (engine temp sensor). Within spec at ambient temperature, resistance decreased as I wrapped my fingers around it and increased temperature.
- Oil level just below max mark (15W40 Castrol GTX), changed a couple of months ago.
- Battery full (12.76 V)
- On the bench, the fuel pressure regulator holds vacuum (tested it with a hand vacuum pump). However, when installed on the bus, it puzzled me that it also holds vacuum, but there was no pressure drop on the line. I would have expected for it to return fuel to the tank with applied vacuum. Perhaps it needed to be applied a higher vacuum? I went up to 15 inHg (half the scale of my pump)
- In terms of holding vacuum, I tested the following:

• EEC valve: OK
• Vacuum advance can: OK
• Fuel pressure regulator: OK (with the caveat mentioned abovet: vacuum held, but does not seem to have an effect on pressure - I would have expected it to drop)
• Oil breather pressure control valve: OK

Here's what I think:

- Fuel lines and pump are ok: no leaks on sight, solid pressure on the higher range of the spec. No high pressure to indicate a pinch or knick. It's the major change I made though, so there might be something in there.
- Vacuum leak? Not sure where to start looking, as I already replaced the vacuum control lines. S-Boot and molded hoses looked ok.
- I did not test the Thermo-Time Switch or the cold start valve. I know I might have to do it eventually, but I didn't think they would affect the idle.

Notes:

- It took me quite a while to get all the parts and find the time to do the fuel line replacement. As such, the bus had been standing for a couple of months in the garage.
- There are some constraints as to what I can do where the bus is parked right now. Although it's well ventilated garage (main gate is just a mesh that lets the air in), it is essentially a shared car park. So unfortunately I can't leave the engine on to do things such as timing adjustment. I'd have to get the bus towed to do this outside.

I'll try to go through the AFC manual checks now, but I'm a bit puzzled, as the separate components seem to work. Any help to go on the road and start holiday will be really appreciated! Otherwise it'll be plan B with the car: not too dramatic, but definitely not as fun as the bus Smile

Thanks!

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Well done! That's the best, well documented posting I've read on The Samba.

I only wish I had the knowledge and xperience to help you, but I'm sure you'll be getting inundated with help soon. In the meantime, I'm eager to hear what the solution will be. It's suspenseful, waiting to hear the result.
Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Great post indeed!
After all that vacuum line fixing and crack repair you may have to lean the idle mixture and open the idle speed screw on the TB up to undo previous adjustments that were done to compensate for the leaks.

Try unplugging and grounding the TS2 wire first, then try disconnecting a small vacuum line and leaving it open, the TS2 will lean it and the open line will add air, see if it's worse or better.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Great post indeed!
After all that vacuum line fixing and crack repair you may have to lean the idle mixture and open the idle speed screw on the TB up to undo previous adjustments that were done to compensate for the leaks.

Try unplugging and grounding the TS2 wire first, then try disconnecting a small vacuum line and leaving it open, the TS2 will lean it and the open line will add air, see if it's worse or better.

^^^^This.

Nice post!

Its really common on engines that over a long period of time have slowly been re-adjusted to run well with very small vacuum leaks and age related changes in items like the regulator or pump.....that now that the air and fuel system is back to regular spec....the mixture needs to be readjusted back to normal.

The other two items to check....check the AFM flap for cleanliness inside and at the hinge pin for the flap for and proper movement. You were moving the flap by hand to actuate the pump.

If any scratches in adjacent surfaces to the flap travel inside or minor debris were introduced....or if there was any oil or grease that was inside that got disturbed.....either you may have changed how the flap moved (made it worse)...or you may have always had a dragging flap and what you did actually improved it. Change either way.

Replace your runner boots. Or at least check them and/or clamp them. I have always hated that "kinked" angle from the 3/4 side. Its worse on 2.0 if memory serves.

That kink eventually cracks the boot at that spot at worst...and at some level as the boot shrinks with age...that kink can allow the boot to pull away from the runner enough to cause a furrow or air channel.

The added problem is that when you are working on and around the engine doing many little things...there is no way to prevent bumping up against or leaning on at times...the runners. Even with only a couple of pounds of weight bearing on the runners...from say...an elbow.....because of their length....they create lots of leverage at the cylinder head end. This can cause flexing and gaskets to leak and also levers the other side of the manifold and can displace the runners on the other side slightly.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Well done! That's the best, well documented posting I've read on The Samba.

I only wish I had the knowledge and xperience to help you, but I'm sure you'll be getting inundated with help soon. In the meantime, I'm eager to hear what the solution will be. It's suspenseful, waiting to hear the result.
Popcorn

Thanks for the encouraging words! I've not admitted defeat yet, and I'm still hopeful we can drive tomorrow.

busdaddy wrote:
Great post indeed!

Awesome, thanks busdaddy. I'm not sure if my improvements were that dramatic, but I'll definitely have a look at the idle speed screw. I was familiar with the AFM screw to adjust CO, but I'd never had to play with the one on the throttle body. I'll have to learn a bit more about it.

busdaddy wrote:

Nice one, will try that. So just to make sure I understood it:

1. Try this before doing any adjustments to the idle speed screw on the throttle body
2. Ground the TS2. Start bus (if it does start at all Smile ), check if it runs better or worse
3. Undo the TS2 grounding, connect TS2 back to the FI harness.
4. Disconnect e.g. vacuum control line at the vacuum advance can on the distributor. Start bus, check if it runs better or worse.

Correct?

Now let me go through Ray's suggestions too...

Decode your M-Plate
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Don't make the same mistake I made once, assuming that because you have fuel pressure that you also have volume. As an example, you could hook your fuel pressure gauge to an air compressor and it could show 50psi without fuel. Get a medium fast food drink cup and hold it under the open fuel line while you actuate the AFM. If it can't fill the cup in a few seconds, you have a volume problem. A restricted filter or kinked line would do this, but might still show adequate pressure.

Last edited by mainstreetprod on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

it is not uncommon to forget the wire harness plug behind the AFM

Make sure if any wires were removed they are back on the same spot. This includes the ECU wire at the coil

put a teaspoon or squirt of gas in the S-boot and see if that makes it better or worse. That will tell you if you are running too lean or too rich.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

It is possible that one of your old hoses had been intentionally plugged by sticking something down inside it. This would have been done because the dashpot on the air cleaner, the vacuum advance unit, decel valve or other was not holding vacuum. By replacing the hose you thus now have a vacuum leak.

Maybe try to blow through all your old hoses and see if any were plugged or remove each of your new hoses one at a time and plug their ports to see where a vacuum leak might be.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Its really common on engines that over a long period of time have slowly been re-adjusted to run well with very small vacuum leaks and age related changes in items like the regulator or pump.....that now that the air and fuel system is back to regular spec....the mixture needs to be readjusted back to normal.

Thanks Ray. I now wished I hadn't touched the vacuum lines until a later date... Sad

Anyway, I'll grab the Bentley to learn more (and fast!) about the idle speed screw to have some idea of what I'm doing.

raygreenwood wrote:
The other two items to check....check the AFM flap for cleanliness inside and at the hinge pin for the flap for and proper movement. You were moving the flap by hand to actuate the pump.

If any scratches in adjacent surfaces to the flap travel inside or minor debris were introduced....or if there was any oil or grease that was inside that got disturbed.....either you may have changed how the flap moved (made it worse)...or you may have always had a dragging flap and what you did actually improved it. Change either way.

Another good suggestion. I should have said I had removed the full air filter assembly + AFM and had taken it to the bench to clean it up. In the end, it was something I didn't have time for, so I ended up just inspecting it, lightly cleaning up some grease and reinstalling it on the bus. I never took this AFM apart.

The AFM flap looked ok to me and already moved freely when I was looking at it on the bench.

raygreenwood wrote:
Replace your runner boots. Or at least check them and/or clamp them. I have always hated that "kinked" angle from the 3/4 side. Its worse on 2.0 if memory serves.

That kink eventually cracks the boot at that spot at worst...and at some level as the boot shrinks with age...that kink can allow the boot to pull away from the runner enough to cause a furrow or air channel.

That... is something I admit a turned a blind eye on. For several reasons:

- "They worked well so far" (famous last words). I didn't want to touch them until I had some dedicated time to spend on them.
- For some strange reason, they are difficult parts to get here in Germany. Probably due to the small number of FI buses here. The closest I can get them from is Switzerland with an insane amount for postage. It was on my TODO list to find some viable option to get them.
- It's a bigger job than I originally intended. I originally "just" wanted to replace the fuel lines and ended up doing a few more small jobs already. If I had added the intake runner boots, that would have meant removing the plenum, then probably also finding new gaskets for the intake runners "while I was there", etc.

I'm all for controlled incremental updates that minimize the points of failure. That's my excuse Smile

I think as a quick fix until I find the time to replace them, and to discard another possible vacuum leak source, I might use some emergency repair tape, the self-fusing silicone stuff.

raygreenwood wrote:
The added problem is that when you are working on and around the engine doing many little things...there is no way to prevent bumping up against or leaning on at times...the runners. Even with only a couple of pounds of weight bearing on the runners...from say...an elbow.....because of their length....they create lots of leverage at the cylinder head end. This can cause flexing and gaskets to leak and also levers the other side of the manifold and can displace the runners on the other side slightly.

At least that I definitely didn't do Smile

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
...... but I'll definitely have a look at the idle speed screw. I was familiar with the AFM screw to adjust CO, but I'd never had to play with the one on the throttle body. I'll have to learn a bit more about it....

Not much science involved with the speed screw, turning it clockwise restricts the amount of air bypassing the butterfly, CCW allows more air past.
Since it's downstream of the AFM the mixture doesn't change, just the speed.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help. Let me address the suggestions one at a time:

mainstreetprod wrote:
Don't make the same mistake I made once, assuming that because you have fuel pressure that you also have volume. As an example, you could hook your fuel pressure gauge to an air compressor and it could show 50psi without fuel. Get a medium fast food drink cup and hold it under the open fuel line while you actuate the AFM. If it can't fill the cup in a few seconds, you have a volume problem. A restricted filter or kinked line would do this, but might still show adequate pressure.

Good point. I've just checked the AFC manual and there is a check for volume test. The pump should deliver at least 500 cc (1/2 quart) in 30 seconds.

What would be the cause and the effect of insufficient volume, though? In terms of the cause, I could think of a defective pump, or a restricted filter, but would a kinked line not increase the pressure?

SGKent wrote:
it is not uncommon to forget the wire harness plug behind the AFM

Make sure if any wires were removed they are back on the same spot. This includes the ECU wire at the coil

Always a good idea to double-check wire connections. I had indeed done it before I first started the bus.

SGKent wrote:
put a teaspoon or squirt of gas in the S-boot and see if that makes it better or worse. That will tell you if you are running too lean or too rich.

Is this essentially an alternative method to what busdaddy suggested with grounding the TS2/unplugging a vacuum line?

Wildthings wrote:
It is possible that one of your old hoses had been intentionally plugged by sticking something down inside it. This would have been done because the dashpot on the air cleaner, the vacuum advance unit, decel valve or other was not holding vacuum. By replacing the hose you thus now have a vacuum leak.

Maybe try to blow through all your old hoses and see if any were plugged or remove each of your new hoses one at a time and plug their ports to see where a vacuum leak might be.

Thanks. I did not replace the hoses, just the small connector hoses. For the molded vacuum hoses, I inspected them and they were not plugged. The smaller diameter vacuum control hoses didn't seem to be either. In terms of holding vacuum, I tested the following:

• EEC valve: OK
• Vacuum advance can: OK
• Fuel pressure regulator: OK (with the caveat mentioned on the original post: vacuum held, but does not seem to have an effect on pressure - I would have expected it to drop)
• Oil breather pressure control valve: OK

Decode your M-Plate
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

open the hatch and look down at the AFM. Is the plug in the back? That is easy to miss because it hides behind things except when looking down from the top.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

there are also two set of vacuum lines.

One set is the distributor and EEC valve on the air cleaner. That goes to ported vacuum. Meaning no vacuum unless throttle is open.

The other set is the decel valve and the fuel pressure regulator. That goes to the manifold (plenum) vacuum. It has vacuum all the time when the engine is running.

Make sure those are not mixed up.

Also your photo shows no wires to the injectors or CSV. Was that harness completely removed?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

No one has said anything about ignition? Are your wires connected properly and what's the status of your points?

I agree with what Steve said about checking the connections at your ECU and AFM to see if any pins got pushed back into the harness. Even using a multimeter to test continuity on all harness connections. Double checking all connections points on the harness is free and easy to do. I had a pin in my double relay push out of the plug and it made for very hard starting. Unfortunately not the other other symptoms you are having though

Fuel pressure is great, but do indeed make sure you are getting outflow from the injectors. Check the wires and connection to the series resistor.

PM me about your shopping list.... I get a very healthy fedex discount through work and it may be cost effective to ship it to me and I can send it on.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
open the hatch and look down at the AFM. Is the plug in the back? That is easy to miss because it hides behind things except when looking down from the top.

Indeed, the AFM plug is connected. I had made a list of the connections and the ECU, engine speed signal from coil and AFM were the first three items I ticked off. I then double-checked each connection on the list (injectors, FI grounds, TTS, AAR, etc).

SGKent wrote:
there are also two set of vacuum lines.

One set is the distributor and EEC valve on the air cleaner. That goes to ported vacuum. Meaning no vacuum unless throttle is open.

The other set is the decel valve and the fuel pressure regulator. That goes to the manifold (plenum) vacuum. It has vacuum all the time when the engine is running.

Make sure those are not mixed up.

I was aware of the two sets, but I have learnt something new about when there is vacuum there, thanks!

In terms of how they are connected, I followed this diagram I made a while ago:

It came from a VW sticker for California buses, which I then modified to match my '79 Federal bus.

SGKent wrote:
Also your photo shows no wires to the injectors or CSV. Was that harness completely removed?

It was removed indeed. I mentioned it on the caption just below the picture:

furgo wrote:

Detail of replaced fuel ring (please ignore the disconnected vacuum hose and missing harness at the time of taking the picture)

I took the pictures just after I had installed the fuel ring. I originally just wanted to document the fuel line replacement process, and the lines were easier to see before the harness and vacuum hoses were reconnected. I didn't take "after" pictures of the whole engine with everything connected as I wasn't planning to do troubleshooting Sad

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
No one has said anything about ignition? Are your wires connected properly and what's the status of your points?

Good point. I would say the wires are connected properly, as I inspected and replaced a plug connector a while ago. I've been driving since, and I've not touched them in months, so I'd say they're ok.

But what would be the effect if they weren't? They are definitely in the right order, but if for instance there wasn't spark on one or two cylinders, how would I notice?

And if the engine was actually turning for a bit, would that not rule out sparks not getting to the plugs?

In terms of the points... *cough* I need to check *cough*. I was planing to do the timing adjustment later. As I've got limited time, the fuel line replacement took priority after I had seen the state of some of my fuel hoses.

Also, as mentioned on the original post, where the bus is currently parked I've got some constraints, particularly in terms of letting the engine run for a bit. So I'm not too sure I can do the timing adjustment after touching the points, if I can't move the bus somewhere else first.

aerosurfer wrote:
I agree with what Steve said about checking the connections at your ECU and AFM to see if any pins got pushed back into the harness. Even using a multimeter to test continuity on all harness connections. Double checking all connections points on the harness is free and easy to do. I had a pin in my double relay push out of the plug and it made for very hard starting. Unfortunately not the other other symptoms you are having though

I'll double-check, thanks.

aerosurfer wrote:
Fuel pressure is great, but do indeed make sure you are getting outflow from the injectors.

Good point again. By now I've got a long list of additional things I need to check, and I'm trying to see if there is any that can be ruled out straight away.

So again, if the engine was turning for a bit, and since I can get it to start with some effort, would that not mean there is outflow from the injectors already?

aerosurfer wrote:
Check the wires and connection to the series resistor.

Will do too.

aerosurfer wrote:
PM me about your shopping list.... I get a very healthy fedex discount through work and it may be cost effective to ship it to me and I can send it on.

Oh wow, thanks! I'll definitely get in touch once I've sorted this one out.

Decode your M-Plate
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

2 cents worth. Might back up at this point and look at each of the 3 items needed whether they have been done before or not.

1) Is there spark consistently? Put an inductive timing light on it and see. Point blocks break sometimes, condensers go bad. Wires get accidentally put on the wrong spot.

2) If a teaspoon of fuel is added to the S-boot does it fire better or worse. That will tell you if it is getting adequate fuel or too much.

3) Put a compression gauge on it. Were the valves adjusted? Do they warm up and expand to where they are open thus killing the engine at idle. A compression test when warm will answer this.

If you have all three it should run. Once you determine where the weak link is you can focus on that area. Your lists are extensive which is good, but if you can narrow it to one of the 3 you will find it easier from here out.

It can also be a mouse built a nest in the exhaust and once it starts back pressure kills it. Those things happen too.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Some comments and questions. Apologies if the questions are basic, my background is not mechanical and I'm effectively learning from scratch here.

SGKent wrote:
1) Is there spark consistently? Put an inductive timing light on it and see. Point blocks break sometimes, condensers go bad. Wires get accidentally put on the wrong spot.

Ok, I guess that answers the question of how to check if there is a spark on each cylinder. While the timing light is generally used only on cylinder #1 for timing, I understand that it can also be used on the rest of the cylinders to simply determine if there is a spark at all, correct?

SGKent wrote:
2) If a teaspoon of fuel is added to the S-boot does it fire better or worse. That will tell you if it is getting adequate fuel or too much.

I've seen this mentioned other times, but I'm not sure I can follow how this works. Would you or someone else mind ellaborating?

I'd rather understand it than just blindly throwing fuel into the engine!

I just can't quite grasp how a single squirt of fuel should help determining whether the engine is running rich or lean. Would this not simply make the mixture richer for a few strokes, just as the CSV does? How can one determine if the engine runs better or worse from such a small amount of time?

SGKent wrote:
3) Put a compression gauge on it. Were the valves adjusted? Do they warm up and expand to where they are open thus killing the engine at idle. A compression test when warm will answer this.

I'll see what I can do there. I did buy a compression gauge a while ago, but I think the adapters for the plugs are too short for the bus.

Regarding the valves, I've got hydraulic ones, I've not adjusted them.

Decode your M-Plate
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

Though it shouldn't be a big player in warm weather, it doesn't appear that your cold start valve is plugged in. Way back when I had the FI motor in my '78, the clip for the cold start valve plug was missing so sometimes it would slip off.

I always new that had happened because it would take a good bit more cranking to start it up.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Though it shouldn't be a big player in warm weather, it doesn't appear that your cold start valve is plugged in. Way back when I had the FI motor in my '78, the clip for the cold start valve plug was missing so sometimes it would slip off.

I always new that had happened because it would take a good bit more cranking to start it up.

Thanks for the reply. I mentioned it below the picture, but the harness was not connected yet when I took it. Before I tried to start the engine, I connected the harness, vacuum hoses, and everything else.

I shall take another picture with the full connections and upload it soon, as it seems to be a source for confusion.

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: