Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I now know more about points than I ever wanted to know! Smile

hazetguy wrote:
replace the points and set them to the correct dwell. i almost never use feeler gauges to set the gap, and almost always a dwell meter, points set to the lower end of dwell spec, because dwell will increase as the rubbing block wears. then set correct timing.

Quick question on this one though, simply out of interest. As dwell can only be measured with the distributor cap on and the engine running, I guess setting the dwell without feeler gauges is a bit of a trial and error exercise, right?

I.e. replace points, close distributor, start the engine, measure dwell, stop engine, open distributor, adjust gap, close distributor, start engine, measure dwell... rinse and repeat until desired end of the spec is reached.

How much less accurate is just using a feeler gauge? Does it take some trial and error to achieve the desired dwell, or are the tolerances of the feeler gauge procedure small enough to not affect the angle considerably?

Anyway, I'm trying to squeeze in some time at the bus today before we fly away tomorrow. I won't be able to solve the main issue yet, but at least I'll do some basic tuneup by replacing the points and adjusting the timing.

Thanks!

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Dwell can be measured while cranking, although it's usually not much more work to pop the rotor and cap back on so you can watch the needle at your leisure or if you are working solo. Start with a rough gap approximately the thickness of a match package or cereal box.

You can get lucky with a feeler gauge on new points and get it reasonably accurate most times, but to dial it in and get the best spark there is no substitute for a dwell meter. For used points with microscopic hills and valleys on the contact surface the feeler gauge is much less accurate.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

Quick question on this one though, simply out of interest. As dwell can only be measured with the distributor cap on and the engine running, I guess setting the dwell without feeler gauges is a bit of a trial and error exercise, right?

The engineers designed the distributor to have a gap of about 0.020" with nice new flat points, the 0.016" spec actually assumes that there is a tiny bit of pitting. (This is all from a factory information sheet from GM I read decades ago). It pretty much applies to all engines as that is the width gap that is needed to guaranty that the gap will break the arc. After the engineer designs for point gap and ramp angle then he pretty much accepts the resulting dwell. On 4 cylinder engines turning a moderate RPMs then this dwell is usually sufficient as it is on 8 cylinder engines turning at fairly low rpms. Take an 8 cylinder engine up to higher rpms and the coil will not have time to saturate though so engineers began to add other goodies to increase the energy storage of the coil. Some rigs used two sets of points to increase the dwell angle (keeping the gap the same) while some used variable resisters in line with a low resistance coil. There were other ideas used as well and of course in the mid seventies it became common to have so kind of solid state set up amplify the signal from the points and eventually the points were eliminated all together.

For myself on a VW, I almost always just use a feeler gauge and if and when I have checked the dwell with a meter it has been in specs. I will use a meter on GM products that had an access window to the points in the distributor cap and on rigs where the design made it hard to set the points reliably with a feeler gauge, thinking distributors on Ford industrial engines here but there are others.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I did not know about the (non-VW) distributors with the access window on the cap. That would make the trial and error procedure much easier. In our buses it seems to be a bit more of a pain to open and close the distributor before each measurement. But so be it.

I don't want to dwell on this subject (no pun intended), but for the sake of wrapping it up it and to document it in one place for those (as myself) who are doing it for the first time, here's an alternative method of setting the dwell, as opposed to setting the gap.

Quoting from an article on Popular Mechanics, Dec. 1976, which confirms what busdaddy was mentioning about adjusting the dwell at cranking speed.

Quote:

There's an easier way if you have a remote-start switch or can get a helper. Follow this procedure:

1. Remove the coil-to-distributor high-tension lead from center tower of the distributor cap and ground it b running a jumper wire from the cable's terminal to ground on the engine. This will keep the engine from starting when it's cranked.

2. Remove the distributor cap and put it aside.

3. Connect the remote-start switch to the starter solenoid.

4. Make point adjustment to the degree you think it should be.

5. Actuate remote-start switch. Take a dwell meter reading quickly and stop cranking. There will be a heavy pull on the battery by the starter, so don't overcrank.

6. After getting the right adjustment, button up the distributor, hook up the high-tension lead, start the engine and take another dwell reading. You may need another adjustment; there's a difference between dwell at cranking speed and dwell at idle speed. But you will be close.

Decode your M-Plate
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

This is turning more into a diary than I was expecting, but I thought I'd keep documenting the progress for reference in any case. Here we go...

Long back from holidays, but I've been busy with other stuff. I've had no time to continue with the bus diagnostics, but at least "while I was there" last time, I took the distributor home and:

• Cleaned it up well from the inside and outside. Removed some corrosion from the aluminum case.
• Removed old grease and oil from the breaker point/vacuum advance plate. Relubed the central glide ring and the ball bearing/clip assembly with Superlube.
• Replaced the points and set the gap to 0.40 mm (0.016")
• Cleaned up the lobes in the shaft. Relubed them (Superlube again)
• Did not replace the capacitor yet, but I ordered a new one
• Cleaned up the metal shims, seemed not to be very worn. Lubed them with engine oil and reused them.
• The old fiber washers looked ok until one of them snapped in my fingers. Replaced them with new ones, soaking them in engine oil first.
• Replaced the felt wick on top of the shaft, cleaned up the shaft and lubed it with engine oil.
• I decided not to disassemble the mechanical advance weights for the full refresh. They were relatively clean, there was no rust, and the old grease still seemed to be soft.
• Cleaned up the brass contacts from the rotor. Measured the resistance to be up to spec ()
• Cleaned up the carbon spring contact point and the four breaker points on the distributor cap. They had relatively thick carbon deposits and corrosion (green rust).
• Tested basic functionality of vacuum can and breaker plate assembly (see video below)
• Replaced stone-hard shaft O-ring
• Replaced dust cap
• Once all was assembled, I put three drops of engine oil on the felt wick on top of the shaft.

Here are the before and after pics. Unfortunately they don't do justice to the amount of work put in doing the refresh. They simply make the distributor look shinier from the outside Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's also a video with the vacuum can test, which I already posted on another distributor thread:

Link

Some notes from the refresh:

• From the top of the distributor cap, the cylinder 4 contact point for the ignition cable was completely black. All the rest were still quite shiny and one could see the very clean copper there (I don't think it's brass on this side).
• I think it might have been corrosion and perhaps some carbon too: I filled up the hole with tomato ketchup, let the acetic acid do it's thing for an hour and cleaned it up to be shiny again. Magic.
• I'm still not sure what this means. The rubber boot from the #4 ignition cable was sitting well on the distributor cap. Perhaps some humidity got in from the other end of the cable? Perhaps the cable end was not making a good contact?
• The contact points on the inside of the distributor cap had also thick carbon/corrosion deposits. They were tougher to remove, but nothing ketchup and a brass brush couldn't cope with.
• Note to self: even if mild, do not use mineral spirits to remove tough grease deposits on the inside of the distributor, or anywhere near it, for that matter. The distributor has a top clear coat that the spirits ate away.
• The old points on the breaker plate were in a sorry state: they didn't open parallel anymore, were shifted sideways, and if that weren't enough, the lower point was perforated (see pictures below)

All in all, this won't fix the problem, but I thought since I would be setting the timing and checking the ignition, I might as well do it with a refreshed distributor that should now be good for 100K miles more.

Next steps

If I manage to go to the bus today, I'll set the (static) timing and do a compression test to have at least some basic tuneup and more data before I start diagnosing again. As many things in the bus, it'll be my first time.

Am I right to think I should proceed as follows:

Prepare:
• Let the engine run for 2 minutes to warm it up (unfortunately this is as long it will run before dying).
• Remove terminal #1 from coil to prevent the sparks from happening. This will also prevent the ECU from sensing engine speed and thus injectors won't fire.
• Disconnect cold start valve connector to prevent fuel being sprayed while cranking.
• Remove spark plugs. All at once or one by one, not sure what's better practice.

Test compression (repeat for each cylinder):
• Screw in gauge with 14 mm adapter into the spark plug thread. Tighten by hand.
• Crank the engine 5-10 cycles
• Go back to the engine compartment, note down the value on the gauge and the corresponding cylinder number.

Clean up:
• Screw the spark plugs back in. Torque to 22 lb·ft (29 N·m).
• While at it, use conductive (nickel) anti-seize. Recommendations? I'm looking at Permatex Nickel anti-seize, but it's unfortunately not available in Europe. Here copper-based anti-seize products seem to be easier to find than nickel.
• Reuse the spark plug crush washer, I guess?
• Reconnect the ignition cables. Triple-check that they go to the right cylinders.

Decode your M-Plate
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

Am I right to think I should proceed as follows:

Prepare:
• Let the engine run for 2 minutes to warm it up (unfortunately this is as long it will run before dying).
• Remove terminal #1 from coil to prevent the sparks from happening. This will also prevent the ECU from sensing engine speed and thus injectors won't fire.
• Disconnect cold start valve connector to prevent fuel being sprayed while cranking.
• Remove spark plugs. All at once or one by one, not sure what's better practice.
Remove all at once.
. Prop throttle wide open.

Test compression (repeat for each cylinder):
• Screw in gauge with 14 mm adapter into the spark plug thread. Tighten by hand.
• Crank the engine 5-10 cycles
Remote cranking
Remote starter diagnostic plug
• Go back to the engine compartment, note down the value on the gauge and the corresponding cylinder number.

Clean up:
• Screw the spark plugs back in. Torque to 22 lb·ft (29 N·m).
• While at it, use conductive (nickel) anti-seize. Recommendations? I'm looking at Permatex Nickel anti-seize, but it's unfortunately not available in Europe. Here copper-based anti-seize products seem to be easier to find than nickel.
Apply sparingly and wipe access off with a rag.
• Reuse the spark plug crush washer, I guess?
Link
https://www.sparkplugs.com/N678-Champion-14mm-Crushable-Gasket-p26421.aspx
• Reconnect the ignition cables. Triple-check that they go to the right cylinders.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

Tcash wrote:

Remove all at once.

Awesome, thanks Tcash.

One question, though: why does the throttle need to be wide open for the compression test?

Decode your M-Plate
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
furgo wrote:

Tcash wrote:

Remove all at once.

Awesome, thanks Tcash.

One question, though: why does the throttle need to be wide open for the compression test?

So it can ingest the maximum amount of air to compress, and removing all 4 plugs allows maximum cranking speed. It's all about consistant readings that compare with everyone elses using the same test parameters.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

You need to adjust the Valves first. Unless you have Hydraulic lifters.
A tight valve lower the reading.
You do realize that low compression will not cause your engine to die at idle?

Link
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

So it can ingest the maximum amount of air to compress, and removing all 4 plugs allows maximum cranking speed. It's all about consistant readings that compare with everyone elses using the same test parameters.

Perfect, that makes sense now, thanks for the clarification.

Tcash wrote:
You need to adjust the Valves first. Unless you have Hydraulic lifters.

I do have hydraulic lifters.

Tcash wrote:
You do realize that low compression will not cause your engine to die at idle?

I do realize, but since I've already checked the ignition (1) and done the fuel spoon test (2) as suggested by SGKent earlier on in the thread, I thought I might as well check the compression (3). Also, it just happens to be a good time, as the bus is currently down.

In any case, I'll be focusing on these:

Vacuum leak: my (short) experience with them so far has been that if they're massive, the revs go up instantly, not down after a while as in this case. Nevertheless, I'll re-review vacuum hose connections and see if I can somehow use smoke or soap to identify leaks with a running motor. I also ordered some air intake runner boots, as mine are in a truly sorry state. Simply to rule out another possible leak –I was planning to replace them soon anyway.
AFM: I've seen at least two threads with similar symptoms (one here and one in the German forum) that were reportedly caused by the AFM. I'm not a friend of just swapping parts, but I'm also pragmatic and I do have a spare AFM. Replacing the original and inspecting it is just a matter of minutes, so I'll just give it a go.
Idle mixture: this one seems at least plausible on paper, but I'm not sure if it holds water. As suggested earlier on the thread: assuming the bus had some small vacuum leaks, as I was replacing vacuum tubes and their connectors, as well as the crankcase breather gasket, the situation improved. The idle mixture might need to be readjusted, but it's a tricky one for me, as as reported previously I could not determine if the bus is running lean or rich before it dies.

What I find remarkable is that idle revs start going down after a couple of minutes, which could conceivably coincide with an event related to the engine reaching the warm up temperature (80 °C / 175° F IIRC from the L-Jetronic documentation).

If the RPM decrease were caused by a particular event related to warm-up, I could think of:

Injectors spraying less fuel after the engine temp sensor (TS2) has reached the resistance value that indicates the end of the warm-up phase.
=> Mixture is lean and after the extra warm-up fuel is reduced, there is not enough fuel to keep the engine running
The AAR closing. I did take it off and tested it on the bench to be fully open after a bit in the freezer and fully closed after applying 12V to it. It closed after a couple of minutes of applied voltage (I did not do the oven test, though, assuming that if heat from the wire bends the bimetal and pushes the valve's vane, external temperature will do it too).
=> Mixture is rich and after the extra AAR air is cut off, there is too much fuel to keep the engine running

Makes sense?

Decode your M-Plate
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
• Vacuum leak:

Finding vacuum leaks with smoke (smoke test, tester)
furgo wrote:
• Idle mixture: I could not determine if the bus is running lean or rich before it dies?

As it is dying. Introduce unmetered air to the system driving it lean, by slightly pulling the AAR to the Air Plenum hose off.
To drive it rich, give it a shot of starter fluid.
Can't remember, did you perform a injector leak down test?
furgo wrote:
• Injectors spraying less fuel after the engine temp sensor (TS2) has reached the resistance value that indicates the end of the warm-up phase.

It is fair to say, 70% of drive ability problems are caused by the TS2. It is best just to just replace it. Some have past bench testing only to find out they failed during operation. If it is not that, you have a spare on hand.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TempSensorII.html

Good luck
Tcash
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash.

Tcash wrote:
furgo wrote:
• Vacuum leak:

Finding vacuum leaks with smoke (smoke test, tester)
furgo wrote:
• Idle mixture: I could not determine if the bus is running lean or rich before it dies?

As it is dying. Introduce unmetered air to the system driving it lean, by slightly pulling the AAR to the Air Plenum hose off.
To drive it rich, give it a shot of starter fluid.

Where's the best place to shoot the starter fluid with the engine running?

Tcash wrote:
Can't remember, did you perform a injector leak down test

I'm not sure this qualifies as injector leak down test, but here's what I did:

furgo wrote:

3. Before the first start, with the ignition on, I pushed the AFM flap to get the pump running. The idea was to build initial pressure and to measure it.
4. Pressure was 2.7 bar solid (39 psi) while the pump was running (and engine NOT running). I could also at least once hear the fuel returning to the tank via the fuel pressure regulator. So far so good.
5. Once I stopped actuating the AFM flap and the fuel pump was turned off, pressure dropped to about 2 bar (29 psi)
6. About 5 minutes later, pressure had dropped to 1.8 bar (26 psi). I believe this is normal.
7. Started the bus.
[...]
17. Left the engine running, measured fuel pressure: 2.3 bar (33.3 psi). Within spec.

With the caveat:

furgo wrote:

- On the bench, the fuel pressure regulator holds vacuum (tested it with a hand vacuum pump). However, when installed on the bus, it puzzled me that it also holds vacuum, but there was no pressure drop on the line when applying vacuum with my hand pump. I would have expected for it to return fuel to the tank with applied vacuum. Perhaps it needed to be applied a higher vacuum? I went up to 15 inHg (my pump manages about 23 inHg)

Tcash wrote:
It is fair to say, 70% of drive ability problems are caused by the TS2. It is best just to just replace it. Some have past bench testing only to find out they failed during operation. If it is not that, you have a spare on hand.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TempSensorII.html

I do have a spare TS2, but I've never tested it. I guess I can give it a go or get a new Piaggio sensor (*). The reason I did not replace it was because the measured resistance seemed to be ok and TBH I was a bit weary to remove it: it's quite rusty on the outside, and I was afraid to break it and end up with the rest of it inside the threaded hole.

However, one of the tests I did showed that the engine died even with a shortcircuited TSII, so I don't think the sensor is the cause.

(*) I know the Porsche 914 folk did a reportedly nice TSII repro, but last time I looked shipping these to Europe costed nearly as much as the sensor itself.

Decode your M-Plate
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Where's the best place to shoot the starter fluid with the engine running?

Remove the air filter and give it a shot through the AFM.

furgo wrote:
I'm not sure this qualifies as injector leak down test, but here's what I did:

That test the whole system. You want to isolate sections of the fuel system to determine where the pressure drop is occurring, by charging the system and pinching off the hoses on either side of the component being tested and observing for a pressure drop.

furgo wrote:
However, when installed on the bus, it puzzled me that it also holds vacuum, but there was no pressure drop on the line when applying vacuum with my hand pump.

It works opposite of that. When there is high load high manifold vacuum. It closes the FPR to increase fuel pressure to meat the additional demand.

furgo wrote:
The reason I did not replace it was because the measured resistance seemed to be ok

As I said, some have tested the TSII and it passed. Only to discover later by replacing the TSII that their symptoms went away.
Start soaking the TSII with penetrating oil.

furgo wrote:
However, one of the tests I did showed that the engine died even with a shortcircuited TSII, so I don't think the sensor is the cause.

That simulates the engine at operating temperature and would drive the injectors lean. To simulate a cold engine and drive the injectors rich simply disconnect the TSII and install a 2500 ohm resistor inline.

furgo wrote:
(*) I know the Porsche 914 folk did a reportedly nice TSII repro, but last time I looked shipping these to Europe costed nearly as much as the sensor itself.

https://www.vwheritage.com/311906041a-temp-sense-cylinder-head-fi-us

Good day
Tcash
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

see if you can find this tool, or make one yourself with a deep 13mm socket:

I was spraying penetrating oil and tapping on a closed box wrench for about a week trying to get movement on that TSII sensor with the engine in place on my 77 when I happened across this tool at a flea market. Sensor was out in about 5 mins using it, granted it had been getting soaked with PB Blaster for a week so...

Anyway replacing the sensor didn't fix my issue, but that is for another thread. I been following along on this one since I have to run many of the same tests soon enough.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Ack to all previous replies, thanks.

Tcash wrote:
furgo wrote:
However, when installed on the bus, it puzzled me that it also holds vacuum, but there was no pressure drop on the line when applying vacuum with my hand pump.

It works opposite of that. When there is high load high manifold vacuum. It closes the FPR to increase fuel pressure to meat the additional demand.

That I do not quite follow, or maybe I did not fully understand how the FPR operates. If in the rest position the spring is holding the membrane against the fuel outlet to keep it shut and maintain the pressure, would the applied vacuum not pull the membrane, opening the outlet and reducing pressure?

Tcash wrote:
https://www.vwheritage.com/311906041a-temp-sense-cylinder-head-fi-us

Oh, awesome, I'd forgotten checking out what our British friends had available!

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
see if you can find this tool, or make one yourself with a deep 13mm socket

Excellent tip! Has the slit on the side a particular function, or is it simply to accommodate the sensor wire?

I doubt I'll find the tool, but I guess I could just get a 13 mm deep socket and drill a hole on it's side, wide enough for the sensor's spade connector to go through.

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Anyway replacing the sensor didn't fix my issue, but that is for another thread. I been following along on this one since I have to run many of the same tests soon enough.

Bummer. Let us know how it goes, and if your issue is similar, perhaps I can also learn from it. For my part, I'll continue documenting my findings.

Decode your M-Plate
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Ack to all previous replies, thanks.

Tcash wrote:
furgo wrote:

That I do not quite follow, or maybe I did not fully understand how the FPR operates. If in the rest position the spring is holding the membrane against the fuel outlet to keep it shut and maintain the pressure, would the applied vacuum not pull the membrane, opening the outlet and reducing pressure?

My mistake. High load low manifold vacuum closes the FPR.
Figure you would need fuel pressure acting on one side of the valve and vacuum on the other side to open the FPR.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

Fuel Injection Leak Down Test
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
I doubt I'll find the tool, but I guess I could just get a 13 mm deep socket and drill a hole on it's side, wide enough for the sensor's spade connector to go through..

Ever tried drilling a tool of any kind?, even those lousy Chinese ones are harder than a drill bit. You'll either have to heat the socket to red heat to soften it (not too strong after that) or use a die grinder to cut a notch out.

The spring in the FPR determines the maximum pressure, fuel in the wet side chamber pushes the diaphragm against the spring and lifts the valve off the return port over a set pressure. Adding a vacuum to the dry side effectively decreases spring pressure (the vacuum helps the fuel push on it) allowing the return port to open at a lower pressure.

Слава Україні!
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I doubt I'll find the tool, but I guess I could just get a 13 mm deep socket and drill a hole on it's side, wide enough for the sensor's spade connector to go through..
Ever tried drilling a tool of any kind?, even those lousy Chinese ones are harder than a drill bit. You'll either have to heat the socket to red heat to soften it (not too strong after that) or use a die grinder to cut a notch out.

Good point, I'll probably go for a longer socket then. Annealing metal is not my idea of fun.

busdaddy wrote:
The spring in the FPR determines the maximum pressure, fuel in the wet side chamber pushes the diaphragm against the spring and lifts the valve off the return port over a set pressure. Adding a vacuum to the dry side effectively decreases spring pressure (the vacuum helps the fuel push on it) allowing the return port to open at a lower pressure.

Yep, that's how I thought it would work. Thank you (and Tcash) for confirming and for the clarifications.

@ROCKOROD71: out of interest, how deep is your TSII tool? I've found a 13 mm socket that is 78 mm deep, which could probably accommodate the wire inside without the need for cutting the groove. However, with the engine in place and at the location where the sensor is, I'm not sure if it will be too long to reasonably get a ratchet in there.

Decode your M-Plate
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help: FI hard start, dies on idle Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Good point, I'll probably go for a longer socket then. Annealing metal is not my idea of fun.

busdaddy wrote:

Yep, that's how I thought it would work. Thank you (and Tcash) for confirming and for the clarifications.

@ROCKOROD71: out of interest, how deep is your TSII tool? I've found a 13 mm socket that is 78 mm deep, which could probably accommodate the wire inside without the need for cutting the groove. However, with the engine in place and at the location where the sensor is, I'm not sure if it will be too long to reasonably get a ratchet in there.

Don't have the socket with me but just busted out the ruler, and 78 mm is way longer than the socket I got. I had to try 3 different ratchets to get one that would clear the fuel line, but I also don't yet own a universal swivel adapter, which would help out with that. And yes, the slot is just to accommodate the wire. The SNAP-ON part number for the socket is S-5909. i DID find somewhere a cross reference number for the same tool made in Europe, maybe Hazet or Matra? I never noted that number and a quick goole search of the samba doesn't turn it up, but its out there.
The socket I have probably measures between 40 and 50mm long.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: