Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New VW Owner.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Hello, I purchased this little girl who has languished in a heated garage for the last 36 years. She has 44K miles and looks gorgeous in her Rallye Yellow with Black soft top and Black Interior. I have original documents from first owner with records etc.. The engine number is confusing me as I haven't been able to identify it. I'm thinking someone years back changed it out and added the Degree Balancer and chrome Alt pulley. All thoughts are appreciated. Auto Stick BTW.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 67vetteal on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

67vetteal wrote:
has languished in a heated garage for the last 46 years. She has 44K miles

Wait, what?
46 years ago was 1971. The alternator didn't happen until 1973.

*suspicion intensifies*
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
67vetteal wrote:

Wait, what?

*suspicion intensifies*

Right. And air cleaner and fuel pump are newer than 1972 as well. Looks like there was plenty of time to replace the original distributor, crankshaft pulley, alternator pulley. I don't think I'd trust that 44K miles, maybe 144K. How about telling us what year it is, plus some full body shots, interior shots? I bought my 1970 in 1972 with 40K on it and it looked pristine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

44k?

maybe more like 444k Twisted Evil

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

This is why I am asking for help. When purchased I did get the Title issued in 1981 showing mileage as 40K. Service stickers on door jambs aligned with sellers claims. Car is clean as a whistle and I do believe mileage is true to vehicle. Engine code AH-244225 seems to be a 73 Block? Looking for help not ridicule. Thanks, Al W.
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1681280.png
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1681279.png
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

The AH engine code was used on the 73 and 74 model year cars.

Your car will run much better if you replace that crappy "one size fits all" 009 distributor with the correct one.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

I read through the first post multiple times and 1) I don't see the year of the car and 2) I don't see any questions asked. What exactly do you want to know?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Gentlemen, he said it's been parked for 36 years not 46.

I do agree that 44K must have been a 'hard 44K' to require the change in some of the parts. But, it is a nice looking car.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
67vetteal wrote:

Wait, what?

*suspicion intensifies*

Quotes say he said 46 first. No big deal though. 36 makes the story proper and believable. Looks like a great car.

Wasn't trying to start anything.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

¡Bienvenido a la Samba!
As noted, she's received some replacement components over the decades.
If you might post the VIN, we could advise precisely what she (correctly) sported upon that last day in Wolfsburg.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Shock mounted bumpers...74 and newer.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional reply's and comments. The fella I bought it from claimed that the prior owner put the after market items on the car and that was all he knew. As stated, the Titled used to transfer to me was issued in 1981 and showed 40,000 miles on the odometer. Fast forward ten years when it went into storage it had 44,000 miles. He used it to go to church on Sunday's and once in awhile took her for a cruise. Vin# 1542376877. Runs like a sewing machine and is very tight. Interior shows no wear at all, same for Top. Dealer was Billco Motors in Wexford, Pa. During the winter months I intend to straighten out things like the wrong Distributor etc. I need advice on what to replace to OEM. Al W.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Nice looking bug.

Even though it was parked in a heated garage I would recommend going through the whole car and update some components.

I would start with the fuel system - get new (correct) hoses, clamps and a fuel filter (preferably a metal one) and place it in the trans tunnel. I would also remove the carburetor, order a rebuild kit and give it a thorough cleaning along with replacing the internals.

Next I would move to the brakes and install new hoses and cylinders, if all else looks okay. While there, repack the bearings and look for any worn suspension items.

Finally give the engine a proper tune up and see how she rides.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Just read your comment that she runs great. Maybe just do the fuel lines and brake hoses. No need to replace good parts.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

If it is carburated and has bumper shocks, it's more than likely, a 74 model

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Just read your comment that she runs great. Maybe just do the fuel lines and brake hoses. No need to replace good parts.

Prior owner is a Chevrolet Dealer Mechanic. Did the Brakes, Master Cylinder, and front rubber lines. Removed Gas Tank and boiled it out. New Oil and Filters, Drained Torque Converter system and refilled with ATF. I have a drive on lift in my garage and put this car up. Everything fits to his reporting of what was done. Will the Bentley Manual tell me the correct Distributor and Carb to use??
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Quote:
Vin# 1542376877

That would be a 1974 Super Beetle Convertible, discussion is going so fast people are missing posts while answering.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Owner. Reply with quote

Quote:
Will the Bentley Manual tell me the correct Distributor and Carb to use??

There should be a number stamped onto the base flange of the carburetor, if you can post that someone should be able to tell you if it is appropriate for a 74 autostick, and what the matching distributor should be.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: