Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Routed oil filter lines backwards...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
runge9524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

I was wondering why my cooler always stayed cold, there wasnt any oil in it due to my backwards routed oil filter adapter. The engine sounds like it may have a quiet knock but its hard to tell over my loud exhaust, there is some fine silver sparkles in the oil, but it may be rings ( only 200 miles since new rings pistons and cylinders. This is my ghetto job haha
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

I would pull the valve covers and see how much metal in them.. depending on the type of oil filter you are using will depend on how much damage.. some wont let oil go backwards.. anti drain ...but not good
runge9524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

Im using a wix filter... guess i should start putting together a back up short block before this one goes out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

Does it actually have oil pressure?
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
runge9524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

I dont know if it has pressure, this is a type 3 motor with no oil sensor hole.
runge9524
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

I dont know if it has pressure, this is a type 3 motor with no oil sensor hole.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

since the oil filter is in the cooler line it won't hurt much having it backward, just won't have any oil flowing through it, oil will bypass both like they aren't there.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

Im lost, how does it bypass and not go through anything? type 3 gets oil pressure off the cooler. ( I have a nos type 3 cooler with the oil pressure port, wondered and finaly found out what it is.bought it years ago with some nos type 1 coolers from a porsche shop from the 60's&70's& 80's, there was lotsa nice stuff there.)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

Buy a real hammer, stop using the cooler as a hammer. Your fins look like crap.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

Even if the oil goes through the filter backwards it would still work.
What may be more wrong is that you would need maybe two or three quarts of oil to fill up the loop. So you probably drained all the oil from the sump and stored in the loop when the oil pump sucked the sump down till it sucked air.

Trouble is that the correct cold oil level for that setup might be more than an inch above the top mark on the dipstick so you have probably been driving around with low oil in the sump..

Without an oil pressure or sump/dpistick temperature gauge you would not have been able to tell.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

That's all quite reasonable but, wrong. Off day my samba friends?

mark- oil bypasses the cooler through the rear oil plunger, which is opened by oil pressure.

Cusser, I've had oil coolers uglier than that and they still worked fine, and I didn't use it as a hammer, but that's pretty funny Wink

The grand majority of Oil filters currently made have an anti-drainlack valve, thus won't flow backwards.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
That's all quite reasonable but, wrong. Off day my samba friends?

mark- oil bypasses the cooler through the rear oil plunger, which is opened by oil pressure.

Cusser, I've had oil coolers uglier than that and they still worked fine, and I didn't use it as a hammer, but that's pretty funny Wink

The grand majority of Oil filters currently made have an anti-drainlack valve, thus won't flow backwards.

thats why I said depends on filter.. if it had a old chevy ford dodge filter from the 60s 70s early 80s? no drain back valve.. now on the water cooled I4 vws.. you better run a anti drain back or you will have lifter rattle for everrrrrr
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

yeah you had it.

Funny when two things wrong make something work right.
If he had installed the filter "full flow" as intended it would have exploded or starved thee engine, but since it's in the cooler line...... Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

yes morlock I know that, I thought you said the filter was still flowing.....or could of be my reading skills during the down pour from hell....never seen that much rain in my life.and..my bug was WFO and full of h2o...(windows down doors open, engine uncovered etc)
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
yes morlock I know that, I thought you said the filter was still flowing.....or could of be my reading skills during the down pour from hell....never seen that much rain in my life.and..my bug was WFO and full of h2o...(windows down doors open, engine uncovered etc)

we have to.. and are going to get hammerd. more. you watching the Atlantic storms? 1 after the other
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

Yikes. Shocked
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

Isn't any body going to say any thing about the rubber mounted cooler ?

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Isn't any body going to say any thing about the rubber mounted cooler ?

Casey

No, that and zip ties make the world go round Laughing

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

It's not really a such bad system.
The tubes break off real easy with those coolers, so not having the oil lines tied to the body, the one bungee cord mounting might be better than bolted down.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Routed oil filter lines backwards... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
yeah you had it.

Funny when two things wrong make something work right.
If he had installed the filter "full flow" as intended it would have exploded or starved thee engine, but since it's in the cooler line...... Laughing

Fram hp1 filter has a adbv, if you mixed up the inlet and outlet on one of these on a standard full flow setup what would happen ? Engine run for few minutes then seize from lack of oil ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: