Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electrical guys can you help me with my alternator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MVGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

so I have a 58 ghia and recently my bosch alternator with an external regulator went out. I have another alternator with an internal regulator that I switched to. here is my problem, I have the new alternator hooked up and wired and it charges now. my problem is when I turn my ignition off the car still runs, only when I unplug the idiot light from the D+ does it turn off. the idiot light wire does not have power until I turn my ignition on. so my question is, what do I need to do/change to get my car to work properly? thanks for any help
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

Its called "engine run on" and it sometimes happens with alternator conversions. I had the same problem. See attached link.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647932&highlight=diode
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

MVGhia wrote:
so I have a 58 ghia and recently my bosch alternator with an external regulator went out. I have another alternator with an internal regulator that I switched to. here is my problem, I have the new alternator hooked up and wired and it charges now. my problem is when I turn my ignition off the car still runs, only when I unplug the idiot light from the D+ does it turn off. the idiot light wire does not have power until I turn my ignition on. so my question is, what do I need to do/change to get my car to work properly? thanks for any help

Simple solution to "run on" is a 99¢ diode.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Diode could also be places behind speedo at GEN/ALT lamp location...

Unfortunately with Radio Shack failing you may have to do a little looking for diode, might try local car stereo/alarm shop for "isolation" diode...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

Sometime using a warning lite bulb with a too-high wattage rating can cause that. Stock bulb size was 1.2W as I recall.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
MVGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. So is there a certain size/wattage or anything I need to know? It looks like Frys sells them so I'm going to check them out today.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

MVGhia wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. So is there a certain size/wattage or anything I need to know? It looks like Frys sells them so I'm going to check them out today.

Something about 1 amp - 50 PIV will do fine, it's actually over rated diode for job at hand, but more is better than less...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

Using a diode is not the way to correct the problem. The diode will prevent the light from warning you should an overcharging situation ever occur. Overcharging can destroy your battery, stereo, and other electronic devices you may have.

The proper size for the warning light bulb is 2 watts.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

Luft kühl wrote:
Using a diode is not the way to correct the problem. The diode will prevent the light from warning you should an overcharging situation ever occur. Overcharging can destroy your battery, stereo, and other electronic devices you may have.

The proper size for the warning light bulb is 2 watts.

If he has proper bulb for ALT/GEN lamp and still has run on, what is your solution?

Dale

Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

That depends. I would need to ask some questions first.

Lets wait for his reply.
MVGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

So o went to frys and saw "zenner diodes are these the same as an isolation diode? It is measured in voltage and PD. Voltage was 24v and PD was 5w. Is this what I need or something else?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

You want "general purpose" rectifier diode...

Look for this one...

http://frys.com/product/1808696?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Dale

MVGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

I'm going to go back to frys and check out that diode. Last week a buddy who knows more about electronics recommended a 1n5401 diode. I got it today and it did not work. This isbthe diode on Amazon if this gives you any info. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006ACRL8Q/ref=mp_s...ref=plSrch
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

This is what I'm using and it works fine. Be sure the orientation is correct.

https://www.amazon.com/FAIRCHILD-SEMICONDUCTOR-1N4...+pieces%29
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

MVGhia wrote:
I'm going to go back to frys and check out that diode. Last week a buddy who knows more about electronics recommended a 1n5401 diode. I got it today and it did not work. This isbthe diode on Amazon if this gives you any info. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006ACRL8Q/ref=mp_s...ref=plSrch

That diode should be ok.... IF you put it in backwards nothing changes, it has to be installed with band pointing toward D+ terminal as in earlier graphic... IF band was oriented correctly and it did not work, diode was defective, but operational parameters were good....

Dale

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:
This is what I'm using and it works fine. Be sure the orientation is correct.

https://www.amazon.com/FAIRCHILD-SEMICONDUCTOR-1N4...+pieces%29

That is also good diode...

Dale

MVGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

I originally placed the gray stripe towards the D+ and nothing happened so I reversed it and still nothing happened. I checked the voltage on the alternator and it wasn't charging. I bought a 5 pack of those diodes so i'll try another. so with this option still not working what is the next move if the other diodes don't work either?

thanks
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

Popcorn
MVGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

so i am hoping to resurrect this thread because i havent driven my car much but i still have my charging issue. i've tried the diodes with no help. someone here mentioned a 2 watt bulb. i see so cal parts has 6v and 12v bulbs, not sure if either would work.

i am also considering buying a new alternator as well. when i jump the B+ to the D+ the alternator will charge the battery. however, leaving that connected kills the battery. is it possible the internal regulator on my motorola alternator is bad? this is why i am considering a new alternator.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

MVGhia wrote:
so i am hoping to resurrect this thread because i havent driven my car much but i still have my charging issue. i've tried the diodes with no help. someone here mentioned a 2 watt bulb. i see so cal parts has 6v and 12v bulbs, not sure if either would work.

i am also considering buying a new alternator as well. when i jump the B+ to the D+ the alternator will charge the battery. however, leaving that connected kills the battery. is it possible the internal regulator on my motorola alternator is bad? this is why i am considering a new alternator.

Don't think Motorola has internal regulator, the Motorola alternator (AL78) generally require external regulator...

The Bosch (style) AL82 has internal regulator...

If you are going to jump B+ to D+ you are always going to run down battery as there will be constant drain of battery through jumper... You need a switched circuit ( through ignition circuit) to supply the 12 volts to D+ either through a 2 watt bulb or anti-runon diode (or both) ...

Friend of mine on his race car uses just diode in place of lamp to initialize his AL82 alternator, he just runs it from the terminal 15 (+) of coil to D+ of his AL82 alternator, It is ok for race car, but for street It gives no indication if alternator is charging or not (or engine has thrown fan belt and is not cooling), where with ALT lamp there is indication of functioning or not...

Dale

MVGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: electrical guys can you help me with my alternator Reply with quote

here is a picture of my alternator. isnt the white box on top the regulator?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: