Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pressure upgrade
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Oil Pressure upgrade Reply with quote

I'm unhappy with the Oil Pressure at idle with my newly acquired 74 Super Beetle. I understand that empi makes a kit to Boost the pressure. I have a gauge set in the car and at idle the needle moves to 5lbs. The idiot light does not come on and the engine seems happy. Thoughts? Experiences? Thank You, Al W.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure upgrade Reply with quote

Okay, well I'd screw in a decent oil pressure test gauge in place of the stock warning light switch to verify the dash gauge. Also, what oil viscosity, and what temperatures? Also, what do you see at 2000 and 2500 RPM?

To me, "boost kits" are a like putting a tourniquet on your arm for a hangnail. Really not a great thing. It just defeats the purpose of the oil pressure relief valve, and having too much oil pressure has been proven to be a problem, since high pressure bypasses the oil cooler and thus, the engine runs hotter. (also the last time I installed a "high pressure" relief valve spring totally by mistake, I ended up with enough oil pressure for oil to blast past the crankshaft on the pulley end and get slung all over the engine compartment - but this was a new engine)

Also, remember that VW themselves said that idle speed low oil pressure on a hot engine was acceptable...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure upgrade Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Okay, well I'd screw in a decent oil pressure test gauge in place of the stock warning light switch to verify the dash gauge. Also, what oil viscosity, and what temperatures? Also, what do you see at 2000 and 2500 RPM?

To me, "boost kits" are a like putting a tourniquet on your arm for a hangnail. Really not a great thing. It just defeats the purpose of the oil pressure relief valve, and having too much oil pressure has been proven to be a problem, since high pressure bypasses the oil cooler and thus, the engine runs hotter. (also the last time I installed a "high pressure" relief valve spring totally by mistake, I ended up with enough oil pressure for oil to blast past the crankshaft on the pulley end and get slung all over the engine compartment - but this was a new engine)

Thank You glutamundo! This is exactly the reply I was hoping for. Your reply has put me at ease. It's been maybe forty odd years since I owned an air cooled Bug and I am once again learning what a marvelous machine they are. Al W.
Also, remember that VW themselves said that idle speed low oil pressure on a hot engine was acceptable...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure upgrade Reply with quote

67vetteal wrote:
I'm unhappy with the Oil Pressure at idle with my newly acquired 74 Super Beetle. I understand that empi makes a kit to Boost the pressure. I have a gauge set in the car and at idle the needle moves to 5lbs. The idiot light does not come on and the engine seems happy. Thoughts? Experiences? Thank You, Al W.

I think you do NOT have an issue, I wouldn't do anything !

If your oil pressure is like 30 psi at 3000 rpm, good !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure upgrade Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
67vetteal wrote:

I think you do NOT have an issue, I wouldn't do anything !

If your oil pressure is like 30 psi at 3000 rpm, good !

Cusser, you also confirm my thoughts. Oil Pressure runs right up when a little RPM is added. I'm new to these cars and am learning as we go. Thanks for the Help. Al W.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure upgrade Reply with quote

qutomedloe is rong in his thinking ...kind like my spelling..but worse.
also the boost kit does not raise the oil pressure at idle. there are diferent kits out ther. and the oil cooler is never bypassed it's a relief. kinda like a fart.some of the oil is relieved around the cooler when there is a pressure spike. I use a 30 mm pump, and the booster oil pressure spring, and the soft oe oil cooler relief spring.....why dosent my car run too hot? Shocked how is it not totaly bypassing the oil cooler??? because it's working the way it's supposed to work.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure upgrade Reply with quote

If you want a little more oil pressure, might just need to resurface the oil pump cover and check the stock pump for wear. While you are in there you could check out which cam (dished or flat) you have and order up a CB Maxi 2 filter/pump or the stock VW of Mexican filter/pump version.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure upgrade Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
While you are in there you could check out which cam (dished or flat) you have and order up a CB Maxi 2 filter/pump or the stock VW of Mexican filter/pump version.

Yes, I use the Maxi2 in both my 1835cc engine and my 1600cc engine. One has 3.5-decade old unit, the other is 6 months.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: