Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Shoe Orientation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just installed a new set of shoes and drums. I noticed that my orientation of my emergency brake cable was backwards compared to photos ive seen on the internet. I was wondering if it matters if the handle is in the rear or outside facing?

Here is my setup:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is what I see online:

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

Yes it matters.
It looks like you have that shoe with the lever installed on the wrong side of the van.

Mark.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

primary (short shoe) to the front, big (secondary) to the rear

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Was wondering if it mattered cause the lever seems to have the same movement in the front and rear
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

You shouldn't be playing mechanic ,Your endangering others when guessing on repairing brakes. Taking apart things isn't being a mechanic, next time leave one side complete so you have a reference, it's easy to walk around the van and look at the other side. Shocked
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

DRIVER SIDE (left side)

hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

Thanks. The PO had them backwards. Thanks for all the help working well now!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

That photo is wrong. Short shoe goes to the front

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

great photo

Last edited by Bassyaks on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
That photo is wrong. Short shoe goes to the front

The Bentley shows otherwise, e.g. page 46.9, photo 46.389. As in crazyvanman's photo. The short shoe is the one with the lever on it (or should be apparently) and by necessity should be at the rear (parking brake line location).
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

Yes, my photo is of a NOS VW Factory brake service assembly, put together by VW with VW parts, sold as a complete unit. Factory parts and service documentation both show the shorter lined shoe as the one with the cable lever and that would put it in the rear position.

People used to working with older VW vans might not know that the brake cable lever comes already installed on replacement Vanagon rear shoes while on older buses you moved the lever from your old shoes to the new shoes. So while on an older bus you might choose which shoe to fit the lever to with Vanagon shoes that is already done for you.

Here is a link from Van Cafe aftermarket shoes showing a shorter lining on rear most shoe with the cable lever. In my experience the lining on some aftermarket shoes differs and may be the same length on all 4 shoes.

http://www.van-cafe.com/page_722_638/brake-shoes-p722

Mark
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
great photo
Nice post edit Laughing Now maybe the earlier one also?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

interesting....

wonder what vw's purpose for doing that was. back in the days of yore the short shoe not only was made of a different material, but was short with an aggressive chamfer to prevent noise.

fast forward to today and different shoe material, it's really and truly *probably* a non issue....even seeing that most shoes now are equal length.

that said, for a real good drum brake job arcing the shoes is time well spent

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Shoe Orientation Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Nice post edit Laughing Now maybe the earlier one also?[/quote] Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: