Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

I have never lowered a waterbox. I see two likely hoist points (top center, front and rear). The crane has a hook......so to attach the hook to the engine do I use straps? hooks? bolts? Or some combination. Any photos would be appreciated.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

Chains, cables, straps,
Motorcycle lift.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

Chain would be the easiest since you can use a bolt and nut to secure a link to the hole in the engine casing at the flywheel end and in the one near the Distributor.

Or you could use an "S" hook as below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
drbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

Very helpful Exclamation I take it the eye holes in the case are strong enough.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

If you are using a roll-around lift where the legs are in a "V" pattern, make sure the engine will fit between them. Kind of a PITA to get an engine almost all the way out and then find that you can't lower it to the ground because it wants to rest on the legs.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

Am removing my 2.1 WBX today using method shown below but with a winch on wood frame. I could use a longer length of chain but as is, chain end at forward mount point is close to the plenum. I don't want to put pressure on plenum while lowering engine.

I'm considering using a piece of box steel as a spreader on chain. If it fits, just to confirm..... (with the usual "I'm responsible for whatever happens" in place)

Using a minimum 3/8" OD 5.x grade bolt at each end of the spreader to connect it to the chain should be strong enough right?

Thanks

Neil.

Steve M. wrote:

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

regarding the engine lift... i put a piece of plywood between the V legs, lowered the engine onto that, and then just pulled the engine back with the lift as it is on rollers. had to have the van rear end on car ramps plus 3" (wood pads) but it was very slick.

an engine leveler on the hoist is also useful especially if the trans is attached. could pretty much crank it to get the front trans mount in position with just light hand pressure.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

I know it's an older picture, but that picture of somebody using a park bike stand as frame to lower an engine from just cracks me up. I've got to try that! (not).
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hooking up an engine hoist to a 1.9 Reply with quote

I was worrying needlessly. Turns out the chain didn't look like it was putting much, if any, pressure on the intake plenum.

It occurred to me that If using a hoist, one could rig up a rope to the rear engine mount point, use that to pull on engine away from clutch housing as it lowers ?? Run rope through license plate hole?

Anyway, its out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9oF9rltLewRk8pBw1

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: