Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
^^^^

difference with her besides having tits was she was willing to learn and listen. how many times did the group at large try to guide brideless ben into doing things proper?

reliability doesn't sell. catastrophe does. it was only a matter of time before many forum members saw direct thru the bullshit and saw him for what he was...a salesman looking for likes, clicks and woe is me money when he was down on his luck due to him not grasping anything that was told to him.

cynthia wasn't like that. she (in my opinion) truly wanted the adventure and was willing to put in the sweat equity it took. she wasn't shaking her cooter all over the place with a link to her onlyfans account. therefore she got all the help she needed.

Ben and cynthia are both nice people.

Cynthia stayed at my house for few days while she was in Portland. Her visit coincided with a day I had Colin over. Cynthia was out there taking notes on the things Colin and I were tinkering with. She wanted to learn. She was up for listening and acting upon advice from other Samba members. While she was staying at my house she took me out to some very expensive dinners as a way of thanking me. She’s a really neat person.

I offered Ben to stay at the house and to locate some hard to find parts. Even had some people lined up to look over his bus and donate time to work on it, if needed. He didn’t take advantage of that offer yet went across town to have a local setup a solar panel system for him. We all know what happened to that solar set up in Alaska Shocked Gary(Aeromech) also went out of his way to offer help to him, as did others. Ben was distracted with other things for his YouTube gig. So a lot people said “F*€k it”. This was one of the main reason I and others piled on him. Plus his videos were stupid “Look at me” with the hots and bros partying. When Leah came around things changed a bit. He seemed more interested in the bus and his videos were more about the destinations and cultures of his travels. The few I watched were pretty good. I like the grown up Ben. Don’t get me wrong, I would’ve loved to have had a road trip like he did back in the day.

There was a lot of generosity offered to both of them.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

True dat

It became apparent to me that Ben wasn’t a bus enthusiast. He had a bus because it was popular and drew hits to his YouTube video’s. Might as well have been a Toyota.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Not to make this a Hmong thread, but my senior year of high school we had three refugees that made our little northern NH town home with a sponsor family - 2 boys, one girl. They walked across Laos, surviving on bugs and weeds after their village was decimated. One of the boys (though he thought he was about 19, wasn't quite sure and looked 90) was memorable. Tiny - even by my 5'2" standards - as small as Cynthia, and always smiling and laughing. Two situations will forever be burned in my memory:

1) Lakina LOVED LOVED baseball. Incredible hand-eye coordination and speed. One game he hit a deep, towering infield fly. He was 5' past third when it was caught. Always wondered what the ruling would have been if he crossed home before it landed in the shortstop's glove.

2) Walking to homeroom one morning, one of the school bullies thought it would be funny to smack him from behind across the back of the head. Didn't go as planned. Quicker than it takes to describe it, he spun around and laid the ~180lb All-State wrestler out cold, then proceeded to apologize profusely and was genuinely upset with his own reaction.

Last I heard, he runs a non-profit service dog agency.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

WTF?!?

For a group that constantly tries to try to call out “certain individuals” as…

OB Bus wrote:

…racist, bigoted, misogynistic posts by certain individuals…

Y’all are certainly hyper focused on pointing out someone’s sex & ethnicity as a reason for the group’s reaction to another member.

I personally saw the difference in reaction to her plight as “I bought a bus, I got screwed on the deal, how do I fix it?” instead of the “I bought a bus, it’s a POS, send me money!”

All of those commenting in Ben’s thread were trying to help out initially, until they realized that it was just a cash cow that needed to be milked on a weekly basis.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
WTF?!?

For a group that constantly tries to try to call out “certain individuals” as…

OB Bus wrote:

…racist, bigoted, misogynistic posts by certain individuals…

Y’all are certainly hyper focused on pointing out someone’s sex & ethnicity as a reason for the group’s reaction to another member.

I personally saw the difference in reaction to her plight as “I bought a bus, I got screwed on the deal, how do I fix it?” instead of the “I bought a bus, it’s a POS, send me money!”

All of those commenting in Ben’s thread were trying to help out initially, until they realized that it was just a cash cow that needed to be milked on a weekly basis.

Don't forget assholes. I like to point out from time to time - "assholes". Myself included. Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

shouldn't even put this idea out there....

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Hah! I saw that one a couple days ago & thought about sharing it.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

shouldn't even put this idea out there....

Link

Don-

What he doesn't address is the panhandlers who have channels on Youtube. I can think of two different machinist channels. One has 500k subscribers and the other guy has 200k subscribers. Both these machinists have HUGE workshops with every conceivable piece of machinist equipment and tools. Think well over $100k in shop equipment, if not more. Their income from Youtube is very respectable. The guy with the 500k subscriptions always has the "support this channel" links in each video he puts up with his Patreon link. The other guys often discusses that people should support his channel because "it's a lot of work" to put up these videos for us. Really? Ironically, both these guys are ferocious narcissists who love to hear themselves talk and maximize their face time in front of the camera.
I find it a terrible turnoff to see these folks who have shops that most people can only dream of and then ask people to give them free money to "support their channel". Of course, they often post a new video of their newest expensive piece of equipment they purchased from probably the panhandling income.
Only in America...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Au contraire, he addresses this very issue with the dental nurse that asked for donations for a batchelorette party. These people with more means than most, asking for handouts, for shit that they don’t need or deserve, without ever having to demean, swallow their pride, or humble themselves by actually having the balls to ask for a handout, face to face, from a perfect stranger.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

There needs to be a link for “ you just wasted 5 minutes of My life” , such that when a threshold is hit, the critics get the revenue from the you tube hits

That would change the quality ….
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

What he doesn't address is the panhandlers who have channels on Youtube..

well.... i kind of agree. at least some of these guys are sharing their knowledge in a pretty entertaining way. i can see the point of time being spent to make content and trying to get paid for their time. at least they are putting in some effort unlike the ones in the video i posted who are simply writing "i want to party, pls donate"

that said i think a good part of YT is full of wannabe actors and if they are crafty enough to separate fools from their money so be it. if it's a legitimate income and they aren't on the government tit no harm done i suppose.

i mean i have had people want to paypal me for helping them thru issues and the only time i took it was from a member here that basically kept texting me until i gave him my info. like...literally texted me every 10 mins for 2 days straight Shocked

so you figure is something helped someone or made them laugh...5 bux here or there from 200k people adds up. is that sustainable? probably not, as you will run out of an audience at some point and i don't know of anyone who would put a channel on auto pay from their bank....but who knows

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Well to me its just like the olden times. You know, when you chose weather or not to give the guy the change in your pocket or not. You either will or you wont. Kinda part of human nature and humanity. The medium has just changed is all. Wink Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

What he doesn't address is the panhandlers who have channels on Youtube..

well.... i kind of agree.

HOW DARE YOU NOT 100% agree with me! Laughing Laughing

There's tons of really cool people that share very good information on their YouTube channels who will not accept donations/Pateron, etc. In fact, where I see the "support this channel Patreon link" the most is with the machinist channels. Maybe it's me but I just think they take advantage of people. Those same two guys also frequently have video's where they have segments that show things sent to them for free. Expensive tools, literature and other gifts. Clearly they are encouraging more people to do that too. Again, if people want to do that, it's their choice.
Like you Don, I also help out people who email me for help. I feel like I'm giving back to the community and won't accept any payment either. I've had lots of very nice people in our VW community help me over the years to include you and others here on The Samba. I've also sent free restored parts to organizations or individuals who were in need. It's what make our VW community great.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Bill and Don
Get out here to San Diego and we’ll have a threesome together. Bill, you can be “Lucky Pierre”. He’s the guy in the middle.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

sweet. been a while since i've had a sword fight

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

I, for one, would gladly hand over real money for good helpful content about the things I care about:
Steel metal bumping to the point of metal finished product
Fabricating small patches, making them fit, and welding them in.
I've been bumping metal for over 50 years and STILL feel I could learn from a master.
Of course, it was as a hobbiest, not an hour a week probably.
I was a journeyman electrician in real life paid work.
As a 19-21 year old did a stint in a high performance machine shop. Studied under one of the very best I could have ever imagined. He taught me to use every machine they had.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Half the time all that expensive shop equipment was "donated" for a "review". They know that the value of a good review pushed out to all those subscribers is worth a lot more than the cost of that one piece.
And oh yeah, if you click the link the reviewer provides and buy one (because he said so), then the reviewer gets a chunk of that too.

Remember kids, you too can believe everything on the internet.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

I gave an “Internet pan handler” some more money the other day. That guy even gets money by selling ads on his website. What the hell was I thinking Embarassed that guy just pushes buttons and has other people help him for free, that also must give him money to do so. What a racket Wink He even has the audacity to have his wife cover him at work when he doesn’t feel like pushing buttons that day. I wish my wife could cover me at work somedays. Oh well. He did provide good content with hours of entertainment, learning, and more. Probably saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. Better then the cable company (Bill $$$) my wife insist on having. Ugh. Cable company never gave me a gold star or saved me money.

Thank you all, for the generosity of time, parts, entertainment, beers, and friendship over the years.

Well, not everyone. See signature line Wink

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Time to get this kinda back on track. When you have some free time on the toilet. Take a dump on some of these GoFundMe dummy’s.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2016/08/stop-using-gofundme-things-are-dumb-please/

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I gave an “Internet pan handler” some more money the other day. That guy even gets money by selling ads on his website. What the hell was I thinking Embarassed that guy just pushes buttons and has other people help him for free, that also must give him money to do so. What a racket Wink He even has the audacity to have his wife cover him at work when he doesn’t feel like pushing buttons that day. I wish my wife could cover me at work somedays. Oh well. He did provide good content with hours of entertainment, learning, and more. Probably saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. Better then the cable company (Bill $$$) my wife insist on having. Ugh. Cable company never gave me a gold star or saved me money.

Thank you all, for the generosity of time, parts, entertainment, beers, and friendship over the years.

Well, not everyone. See signature line Wink

Stop giving money to this guy Kev, really. Stop it!

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 37

Jump to: