Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BRMs on Early Bay - fitment?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: BRMs on Early Bay - fitment? Reply with quote

OK, first of all, I have searched. Found lots about the BRMs on bays, but nothing to my particular situation, so I am asking for help/input.

Anyway, I have a 1969 early Bay. It is mildly lowered one click in the rear, and an adjustable beam in the front (not narrowed, and no lowering spindles).

I would like to adjust the beam lower to get a little more rake, and replace the stock 14" wheels and BFG All Terrains wit h15" BRMs, and lower profile tires.

I can't find anyone that can say for sure if the BRMS need mods to fit, or a narrowed beam in the front, etc.

I plan on using 195/60r15 or maybe 105/50r15 tires in front, and 205/60r15 in the rear, but I'm not married to those sizes.

I just want to know if I should use 4.5" wide wheels in front to fit, or if the 5.5s fit in front and rear without mods, etc.

Anyone have experience with this type of setup?

Look I am going for, but not quite this low:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: BRMs on Early Bay - fitment? Reply with quote

you should have no problem with that. I had a client here with BRM's on a slammed late bay.

biggest issue on the late buses is the rear wheel arch had an inner "wheel tub" if you will. our early buses had just a flat sheet of steel with a lip on them....this gives us more room in the rear.

on the late buses you had to be careful not to put too chubby of a tire on the rear.

I'm dropped 3" on my 70. but I'm running 17's. I have 2 paint sticks width between the rear panel and side wall. if you do 15's you'll be more than fine I do believe

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: BRMs on Early Bay - fitment? Reply with quote

Thanks man - really appreciate it. Trying to do it once. I've done a million old watercooled cars, but not lowering bays.
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BRMs on Early Bay - fitment? Reply with quote

Please Search this Topic: Lowering a Bay
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you
Tcash
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: