Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for an experienced air-cooled mechanic in Auburn, Alabama area to help me fix my 1980 Vanagon. I think its a burnt valve. I am in over my head and at the least need a place to work on it off the street. If anyone can help pls. reply or message me. Will pay cash for your time or trade for fiddle lessons. Thanks!

Last edited by daddygad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

If I can't find some help or find my way (somehow) I'll probably end up selling, which would be a major bummer, cause 1. I like the van, and 2. I know I'll end up losing a lot or most of everything I've put into it.. Right now I was advised by a shop not to drive it at all until its fixed to avoid further damage to the engine. A compression test showed Cylander 1 testing 0, cylinders 3, 4 okay, cylinder 2, marginal. The one import shop in town that offered any help at all quoted a price to replace the whole cylinder head with a new one for $1800 ($750 for the new head plus about $1000 labor)!

In my position, I would probably not even be able to scrape together that much dough, and then I'd really be up a creed if there was still trouble in the bottom end, in short I could really end up losing my ass (bigtime)!

So ANY help, tips, advice, links, general know-how or whathaveyou would be GREATLY appreciated.

Right now for source material to work with I have the "Compleat Idiots" book, the Bentley manual, and a manual for the Porsche-style (chinese knock-off) dual carbs that a previous owner had installed in the vehicle (which is another thing that causes me confusion because since what I am looking at when I open the engine-lid is a modded and not a stock engine that's pictured and discussed in the books and since I am a total idiot this throws me for a loop).
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

I know it's not super close but Midwest Air-cooled and Machine just south of St. Louis, MO might be able to help. If you can tow it you'd be in good hands.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

Check the Van Alert app for someone nearby. Pm me if you get desperate, I'm a few hours away.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

I'd have to research a bit to find him if you're interested, but we met a mechanic in Hayesville, NC (extreme western NC on south border) last fall.

He had a VW shop in CA for decades but sold out and headed east. We both had a good feeling he was a great mechanic and a good guy.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity has the valve cover been pulled and the valve adjust checked and have you checked the pushrods. it is most likely a burned valve.
Air cooled heads are easy to do. Way easier then a WBX, for sure. Depending on your ability, Pull the head and take it to a machine shop, or buy a good used head and bolt it back on.
When you start putting new parts on an old engine you end up with more problems. Remember these were built to be worked on by the common guy. I have patched many a engine with used parts and had good luck. You need to know the condition of all parts associated, but you have no money its way better then what you have now.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Just out of curiosity has the valve cover been pulled and the valve adjust checked and have you checked the pushrods. it is most likely a burned valve.
Air cooled heads are easy to do. Way easier then a WBX, for sure. Depending on your ability, Pull the head and take it to a machine shop, or buy a good used head and bolt it back on.
When you start putting new parts on an old engine you end up with more problems. Remember these were built to be worked on by the common guy. I have patched many a engine with used parts and had good luck. You need to know the condition of all parts associated, but you have no money its way better then what you have now.

Stacy

Hi Stacy, No, I haven't pulled the cover off to check anything out just assuming from the fact that the compression reading (for cylinder 1) is zero that its a burnt valve. When I asked, the mechanic I talked to claimed there is no machine-shop in the area I could go to to get the heads done, don't know if I believe him. Have you any good sources for a used head? ebay perhaps?

Nathan
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

I also found this place online https://www.evwparts.com/Machine.asp that you can send your heads or other parts of your engine to them in order to be re-conditioned and was thinking perhaps of going that route if i cannot find anyone locally to do the machine-work.

Anyone have any experience with them?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

Pull the valve cover and spin the push rod. Adjust the valves. Cheap fixes are nice.
Can you afford to have the van down while you work on it? I would check the adjustment / rod first. If that does not check out then, I would pull the head and then figure out what you need. I would do a quick and dirty fix to this in your position financially.
I bought a truck 20 years ago when I was strapped for cash. The guy I boiught it from sold it because of bad head gaskets, mechanic tried to sell him an engine. I pulled the heads, hand lapped the valves and put rings in and drove it almost 5 years until I had built a proper replacement for it. It was just starting to leak as I put the new engine in it.
Be frugal, act like your in the bush in OZ and you need to get home. As I said earlier be sure to identify the real issue. If the valve was burned and the seat was OK, I'd put a valve in and keep on going.
Look here on Samba in the classifieds, you're bound to find what you need. Post a WTB, there's always someone with that head they just don't want to throw away.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Pull the valve cover and spin the push rod. Adjust the valves. Cheap fixes are nice.
Can you afford to have the van down while you work on it? I would check the adjustment / rod first. If that does not check out then, I would pull the head and then figure out what you need. I would do a quick and dirty fix to this in your position financially.
I bought a truck 20 years ago when I was strapped for cash. The guy I boiught it from sold it because of bad head gaskets, mechanic tried to sell him an engine. I pulled the heads, hand lapped the valves and put rings in and drove it almost 5 years until I had built a proper replacement for it. It was just starting to leak as I put the new engine in it.
Be frugal, act like your in the bush in OZ and you need to get home. As I said earlier be sure to identify the real issue. If the valve was burned and the seat was OK, I'd put a valve in and keep on going.
Look here on Samba in the classifieds, you're bound to find what you need. Post a WTB, there's always someone with that head they just don't want to throw away.

Stacy

Hi again,

Thank you so much for your response. I have to confess to my complete ignorance here, I think I understand what you mean as far as removing the valve covers goes, but as far as spinning the push rod I am not sure I understand. I think I can figure out what part the push rod is, (from the books I have), but then how do you 'spin' them? Is this something you do with the engine in the van or does it have to be taken out first?

Oh also one other thing, is as far as "adjusting the valves". It is my understanding from the John Muir book that the valves on my van would be non-adjustable, hydraulic ones. It offers procedures for adjusting them on older models, but on mine it just says they can't be adjusted. It talks about things to do if they get stuck in the bores...

Which is sort of what I mean about that book, I find it feels like a bit of an easter egg hunt to find the info. that pertains to my vehicle in there. I like that its written for non-mechanical people, but it makes me wish I had just bought an older bus so I could make it actually make some sense to me as most of the info. seems to apply to the older models. I get that to a more knowledgeable person, the engines aren't that different, but to me its just damn confusing to wade through,

I suppose that's why I am looking to find someone (locally) to give me some hands-on help/guidance, but failing that, I'll take whatever I can get in terms of help here.

Sorry if any of these is are annoyingly ignorant sounding. I really do not know much about these or any cars. I can change my own oil and replaced the muffler my self, that's about it. I was daunted by the tune-up procedure as described in the Muir book (because of the reasons I mentioned above) and so took it to an import garage and that seemed to greatly magnify my troubles: it ran terrible after the (rather expensive) tune-up, and then somehow 2+ quarts of oil leaked out when i left it sitting for 10 days, and since the person who owned it previously had disconnected the oil light and replaced it with a guage you can't read in the dark and seeing as it was already running bad, i was none the wiser until I got a few miles down the road an dpulled over to find the dip-stick bone dry... the troubles seem to get a LOT worse after that and now the #1 cylinder dead!

(I suspect it was not the case prior to driving it low on oil).

Unfortunately right now its my only transportation, aside form cycling or walking, so yeah, the pressue is kind of on to get the situation sorted somehow.

Thanks again for your advice and patience.

Nathan
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

So the push rod is what is at one end of the rocker arm. You should be able to put your fingers around the rocker arm and spin the push rod. It should just spin, if the valves were real tight it will not spin. or if it is bent or broken you'll know.
Even with Hydraulic valves you can still adjust them, you just don't need to do it as normal maintenance. It could be a collapsed lifter as well, It is most likely a burned valve.
As far as I know, you can pull the head in the van. Get your bicycle ready, as this will be about a 2 week project.
So it's time cut bait or fix it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
Check the Van Alert app for someone nearby. Pm me if you get desperate, I'm a few hours away.

That sounds interesting. I tried to install it on my phone though and it wouldn't work as its too old. Is the database available any place on the web that you can access with a computer? Three hours sounds like the closest so far. Would be kind of spendy to have it towed there I imagine though. Probably need to find someone more local or tackle it my self. Or worst case scenario, sell it and buy another vehicle (not my pref).
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
So the push rod is what is at one end of the rocker arm. You should be able to put your fingers around the rocker arm and spin the push rod. It should just spin, if the valves were real tight it will not spin. or if it is bent or broken you'll know.
Even with Hydraulic valves you can still adjust them, you just don't need to do it as normal maintenance. It could be a collapsed lifter as well, It is most likely a burned valve.
As far as I know, you can pull the head in the van. Get your bicycle ready, as this will be about a 2 week project.

Stacy

Ha. Ok, Well two weeks sounds reasonable... I think what I need to do is check the Bentley manual to see if I can make sense of the procedure for pulling the head. Hopefully that will get me somewhere.

Last edited by daddygad on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:

Stacy

Oh... Would you adjust the valves using the same procedure described in the "compleat idiots" book? If not, where would I find the info. on how to do that? Thanks.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

There is a procedure in Bentley or any manual for it. The reason for pulling the valve cover is to check for a bent push rod mainly. If the push rod spins then it's Most likely a bad valve.
Pull the cover and disconnect the coil wire and have some one crank the engine and watch the rockers, they should look like one of oil pumps you see on the side of the road pumping oil out of the ground. You want to them moving and compressing the big springs where the valves are.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
There is a procedure in Bentley or any manual for it. The reason for pulling the valve cover is to check for a bent push rod mainly. If the push rod spins then it's Most likely a bad valve.
Pull the cover and disconnect the coil wire and have some one crank the engine and watch the rockers, they should look like one of oil pumps you see on the side of the road pumping oil out of the ground. You want to them moving and compressing the big springs where the valves are.

Stacy

Got it. Thanks!
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for air-cooled VW mechanic in Auburn, AL area Reply with quote

daddygad wrote:
CessnaJon wrote:

That sounds interesting. I tried to install it on my phone though and it wouldn't work as its too old. Is the database available any place on the web that you can access with a computer? Three hours sounds like the closest so far. Would be kind of spendy to have it towed there I imagine though. Probably need to find someone more local or tackle it my self. Or worst case scenario, sell it and buy another vehicle (not my pref).

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon-Rescue-Squad74.htm
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

It sounds like you don’t yet have the Haynes manual for the early air-cooled Vanagons:
http://campwestfalia.com/vanagon-workshop-manuals/

I think you’ll find it immensely helpful, filling the gap between the very technical but sparse Bentley manual and the entertaining but perhaps imprecise Complete Idiot's Guide.

The Vanagon Rescue Squad is helpful, but the info there may be outdated; much of the data has been ported into the new VanAlert app and as far as I know is no longer being updated on the VRS side. You can access the VanAlert info via the website:
http://vanalert.com/

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
It sounds like you don’t yet have the Haynes manual for the early air-cooled Vanagons:
http://campwestfalia.com/vanagon-workshop-manuals/

I think you’ll find it immensely helpful, filling the gap between the very technical but sparse Bentley manual and the entertaining but perhaps imprecise Complete Idiot's Guide.

The Vanagon Rescue Squad is helpful, but the info there may be outdated; much of the data has been ported into the new VanAlert app and as far as I know is no longer being updated on the VRS side. You can access the VanAlert info via the website:
http://vanalert.com/

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! I did try looking in the Bentley manual for info./ instructions on removing the cylinder head and found it sparse indeed...
I was hoping to find an original VW 80-83 service manual someheres as i've hear some folks say its a good one, but so far can't find it anywhere for sale or on the interwebs.

Yes, the Muir book is enterainingly written, and does offer some good advice, but I am not looking for entertainment here, just clear, concise step by steps, so far finding it a bit like trying to put together a puzzle without a picture to reference. very frustrating... how do people get into doing this stuff themselves.. starting from knowing nothing? i assume most vanagon owners do much of their own repairs. I am the kind of person who is intimidated to just tear into stuff when i don't have a pretty clear idea of what i'm doing before i start. Just looking for any way I can to get over this hump, so thanks for the advice and info. about the app.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Yes. Same procedure as the idiots guide. Can u provide a pic of your motor?
A lot of the 80 motor is idiot guide friendly but a lot is not (primarily the fuel injection). Valve adjust is same.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: