Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

a2d2 wrote:
daddygad wrote:
a2d2 wrote:

p.s. Just from my own personal history with heads, I'm going to guess that you have a recessed valve seat as opposed to a burnt valve. Just mentioning this because if I'm right it means your head probably can't be repaired, you'll need to replace it.

Would there be any way of diagnosing that without pulling the head off? I am probably going to try doing the adjustment before I do anything else, so that would be good to know if there's a way of sussing it out.

If it's an intake valve you might be able to see it by removing your carb and intake manifold. This is what one of mine looked like, yours may not be this bad:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it's an exhaust valve you would have to remove your heater boxes and exhaust to see it.

Thank you!
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Just called the shop where I had it in to see if he could tell me the compression #'s apparently he did not check the compression on all 4 he checked the kilovolts, and then seeing that cyliner 1 was dead he just checked the compression of cylinder 1 which turned out to be zero. There were 2 other cylinders with lower kVs, but I dont remember which and he didn't give me the #'s. NOt sure what that information even means since this is the first i have ever heard of checking the kVs.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

I have no idea what that information means as well. Kilovolts? Only thing I can imagine that's referring to is ignition strength. Nothing to do with compression.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

I'd find a way to pick up my van. The info we are getting is suspect and the longer it sits at a garage the longer it is before your back on the road to VW bliss.
Any measurement in kilovolts is not telling me jack and gets me no further toward understanding the issue at hand. We need compression numbers associated w cylinder numbers in order to make heads or tails of this conundrum.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
I'd find a way to pick up my van. The info we are getting is suspect and the longer it sits at a garage the longer it is before your back on the road to VW bliss.
Any measurement in kilovolts is not telling me jack and gets me no further toward understanding the issue at hand. We need compression numbers associated w cylinder numbers in order to make heads or tails of this conundrum.

Oh yeah, I got it out of there that same day I received the news and just limped it home. I am not letting that guy touch it again. the next time I move it is going to be either to get it onto a flat spot on the street where I can do the work by my house (my drveway is on a slant) or to get it towed to a place in Columbus I found today that is reputable and works on air-cooled VWs and said they could rebuild my whole engine if need be for not much more than that place quoted me for swapping out just the one head with a new one which doesn't sound like the best idea anyway... So now I just have to decide which to do, basically. Seeing as my money is tight, I intend to just keep learning whatever I can til I feel comfortable enough to tear into it. Ideally I could find someone locally who could give me a hand if I get stuck, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. Thanks again for all your input(s)!
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Anyone here have the vol. 8 of the BugMe video series and found it helpful for learning the workings of their vanagon engine. As I udnerstand its basically the same thing, right?
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Pull the valve cover after finding a replacement valve cover gasket. You dont want to break that seal without knowing you can close it back up. Id get a new gasket. A few of them.

Would this fit the bill?

http://chircoestore.com/valve-cover-gasket-1700cc-2000cc-bus-1972-1979.html
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2226735
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Do an actual compression test with a gauge in the plug hole.
On the hole with no/low compression, pull the rocker shaft and make sure all valve spring retainers are even. It is easy to see a dropped valve, the installed heights of the valve spring retainers will be way off. This is all too common with abused type 4 engines.

1000 labor is very fair. Just dealing with the heater boxes and exhaust on these engines is a major pain.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

I have a few extra vanagon air cooled motors now. To bad I can’t crate ship you one or better yet drive it to you. Bummer Sad

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Here's a helpful resource, and Colin will travel to you!

www.itinerant-air-cooled.com
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Do an actual compression test with a gauge in the plug hole.
On the hole with no/low compression, pull the rocker shaft and make sure all valve spring retainers are even. It is easy to see a dropped valve, the installed heights of the valve spring retainers will be way off. This is all too common with abused type 4 engines.

1000 labor is very fair. Just dealing with the heater boxes and exhaust on these engines is a major pain.

Well there's an update on the situation. I had it towed to scumbugs in Columbus, GA and the guy says after pulling the engine, installing a new head and reinstalling the engine, that it is knocking (and he says DEFINITELY an engine knock, not a lifter noise) and my bearing on cylander 1 must have suffered damage so I am going to need a rebuild. this is beyongd my finances at present so I now basically have to sell it so i can pay them for the work they already did. yes i am bummed!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

What would you say to a crate mailed long block? I have a good bottomend that I will be selling shortly. Give Me a call!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
What would you say to a crate mailed long block? I have a good bottomend that I will be selling shortly. Give Me a call!

i will give you a call.
daddygad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

daddygad wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

i will give you a call.

As per Stuart's suggestion I had the mechanic take a short video of the engine running to hear the noise it makes. I am told that new lifters on these engines can be noisy til they pump up from being driven and it can occasionally be mistaken for an engine knock. My mechanic seems certain its not a lifter. Feel free to let me know what you think. Personally I think it could be both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH6mEG-tZTk&feature=youtu.be
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Yeah, that is not a lifter. Internet Audio can be deceptive but that sounds pretty bottom end to me. The slight change on float would suggest rod knock to me, but with a 75% confidence level
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

Quote:
Abscate wrote:

There is nothing cheap about this car you are running. It's an expensive toy unless you can fix it, and I mean all of it, yourself. Make that commitment or sell it and move on

That's my hope. Its just hard to figure out how to even get started. Maybe I ought to sell it and get an ealier one so I can make more use of the "idiot" book, (since that is the category I fall into).

Everything Abscate said applies equally to the earlier ones. Same engine back to '72.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

daddygad wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH6mEG-tZTk&feature=youtu.be

Just watched that video, they don't have smartphones yet in Georgia? They take their videos on potatoes still?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Needed: aircooled mechanic in auburnAL area or just plain advice Reply with quote

That sounds like a fan shroud hitting a engine mount. Mine had the same noise forever till I did my last rebuild and figured out what was hitting. Hard to tell with the video though. The only reason I say that is the frequency of the low end noise (not the lifters that are also clicking) is just a bit to slow.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: