Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace or refurbish my propane tank?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Yes, I know there are other threads on this, but not my tank.

Since I need to replace the shutoff valve, and probably other components, it's time to make a call on replace vs refurbish.

Rust is not bad, except for where the tag was:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I did refurbish, would I just remove the nameplate and grind the rust out and repaint? My concern, of course, is tank thickness. Or maybe it's time to pony up for a shiny, new, modern tank.....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

If it were mine I would refurbish. Looks fine.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Yours looks fabulous compared to my old one:

I chose to replace it with new but even in that state someone else wanted it to refurbish.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If it were mine I would refurbish. Looks fine.

The nameplate came off too easily.

It's the thickness of the pieces that came off between the plate and the tank that concern me. In the early tanks, they only welded the corners of the plate. Water and therefore rust developed there. Chunks that came off were 1/8" thick. Was that from the tank or the plate? I can't tell.

The pressure release on these is set much higher than the portable tanks, assuming a thicker tank. It would be OK, I'm sure, except for an abnormal condition, which is what safety is about.

Last edited by RichBenn on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Yours looks fabulous compared to my old one:

I chose to replace it with new but even in that state someone else wanted it to refurbish.

Actually, you have some oil and grime there, but the overall rust is similar to mine. Clean both and they'd look similar. The plate area, however....
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:

The nameplate came off too easily...

That tank is done. I was going to say before seeing this post that the tag is where a lot of rust hides. I had one that didn't look bad except the tag and I paid a shop to sandblast the tank and they went right through the tank where the tag was. I cleaned up another one in better shape, and the next one I just bought a new one. In most cases that is what I would recommend.

Even when they are good enough to refurb, it is not worth the effort and the cost of the new valves. You spend way too much time and wind up with an old tank that doesn't bad but it isn't new. New tanks are fairly cheap and it's something you will never have to deal with again.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Sandbblast will tell you how deep the corrosion is. But refurbishing is not for everyone. I suppose you could have it proof-tested.

Slightly off-topic but maybe you're interested. I have this notion of welding two westy tanks together to make a long skinny 5 gallon tank. Pretty easy to "proof-test" it. Does anyone know what pressure a propane tank is proofed to?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

We had the shutoff valve replaced at a propane shop for like $25.

Tank has well over 300K on it, but a factor is it hasn't lived in a rust belt, either.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

do you have a propane fridge or heater.
if you do not, don't waste your time, the burners will last a long time on 1lb green bottles.
our lucy's big adventure, i bought a new propane tank, we only ever use the burners, that new tank has only run empty 3 times in 2 years of full time living in the van, cooking and coffee making.
with shipping it cost me near $400, that's a LOT of 1lb bottles, i would not do that again.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Wire wheel and post pictures. Not sure where that 1/8" came from. If it's from the tabk itself I would not reuse
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

don't know about other states.. but here in Florida.. the tank has a date.. and if its out of date.. they will not fill it.. this was on a RV we had.. I would think the same applies to vw camper tanks.. so I would check into that if you have not yet
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

The ID tag on the Manchester propane tank on my '81 was falling off. There was noticeable pitting at tank where tag was. I replaced the tank. I've read that the ASME tank wall thickness is about 1/4". Regardless, who knows if its rusting on the inside too? Later Manchester tanks had that tag welded all the way around.

I think this is regarding residential type propane tanks but may apply, depending on state or province?

I don't know.

http://www.propane101.com/photo_albums/PropaneTankNameplates/index.html

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Sandbblast will tell you how deep the corrosion is. But refurbishing is not for everyone. I suppose you could have it proof-tested.

Slightly off-topic but maybe you're interested. I have this notion of welding two westy tanks together to make a long skinny 5 gallon tank. Pretty easy to "proof-test" it. Does anyone know what pressure a propane tank is proofed to?

It does not seem deep, It actually looks better than some pics of ones refurbished here on thesamba. Tapping with a hammer resonates the same as all other locations.

I don't know why the pieces were behind the nameplate.

I like the idea of a longer tank, although it would never work if I welded it, ha ha.

The relief valve is 312 psi. I don't know what the safety factor would be though. I imagine it's capable of pretty high pressure.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
The ID tag on the Manchester propane tank on my '81 was falling off. There was noticeable pitting at tank where tag was. I replaced the tank. I've read that the ASME tank wall thickness is about 1/4". Regardless, who knows if its rusting on the inside too? Later Manchester tanks had that tag welded all the way around.

I think this is regarding residential type propane tanks but may apply, depending on state or province?

I don't know.

http://www.propane101.com/photo_albums/PropaneTankNameplates/index.html

I believe the RV horizontal tank tags ID it as not needing recertification. But technically, with no tag, like most self refurbished tanks, I believe it should not be filled. But given where the tag is, no filler has asked to read it yet nor refused to fill the tank.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
do you have a propane fridge or heater.
if you do not, don't waste your time, the burners will last a long time on 1lb green bottles.
our lucy's big adventure, i bought a new propane tank, we only ever use the burners, that new tank has only run empty 3 times in 2 years of full time living in the van, cooking and coffee making.
with shipping it cost me near $400, that's a LOT of 1lb bottles, i would not do that again.

Do have the LP fridge.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
We had the shutoff valve replaced at a propane shop for like $25.

Tank has well over 300K on it, but a factor is it hasn't lived in a rust belt, either.

With the valve that has the pressure relief, they are much more. Still cheaper than a new tank.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

We use the stove and use the fridge on LP continuously while on a trip. Our tank wasn't that bad around the label, but looked so awful that no propane folk locally would fill it. Sad

We replaced it, and are glad we did so. No more refusals or not understanding "open the bleed valve all the way".
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Is there not a mandatory inspection interval in the US for gas cylinders? In Australia you need to have gas cylinders inspected, tested and recertified every ten years. Even if it looks fine on the outside it could be corroded internally so unless you get it inspected properly you have no idea if it is good or not.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Is there not a mandatory inspection interval in the US for gas cylinders?...

My recollection is that there is an interval for the usual backyard barbeque tanks but no such restriction on mounted RV equipment.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Replace or refurbish my propane tank? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Is there not a mandatory inspection interval in the US for gas cylinders?...

My recollection is that there is an interval for the usual backyard barbeque tanks but no such restriction on mounted RV equipment.

yes there is a restriction of RV tanks... if its out of date.. they will not fill it..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: