Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoppingshzhang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

This is what I found after lifting the driver side carpet. Is this salvageable?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

well it's time to take out all the carpets ---- remove all the rust ----find the hole or holes where the waters coming in --- you may need to learn to weld---like everything may turn into a can of worms
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

That rusty metal is holed and will need welding
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

this is a pretty typical rust spot. there are at least two things going on here. one is leaks from the antenna or window seal; the water drips down and is held in the carpet. the second this is probably a hole in the wheel well so water is sprayed up from the wheel.

the constant wear on the carpet from the driver mashes the paint and what remains of the black coating.

as was said, remove carpet, sand and paint. you can weld or fill small holes with body seam sealer.
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

shoppingshzhang wrote:
This is what I found after lifting the driver side carpet. Is this salvageable?

Impossible to tell from this picture. I have had very good results using Naval Jelly to treat rust after sanding it down and then use Rustoleum primer. Improves your life and rust doesn't come back. If it gets all gnarley so you can't sand out the rust, it will come back so you will have to cut it out. I don't know if your location "CA" is California or Canada, but the rust can be slow in some places and not worth taking up welding. Sometimes better to chill and cruise and don't look under the carpet. Cool
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

Maybe my eyesight is bad, but I see no holes. Doesn't look that bad. Take out the carpet, pad, scrape and vacuum it up, take another picture and let us see. There are as many opinions on how to try to remove rust as there are opinions on the best engine conversions, but because you live in a dry area, you have that in your favor. For a true long lasting repair, all the rust needs to be removed before you prime and paint. All the rust. That takes quite a bit of diligence, either by sanding or sandblasting(this makes a huge mess, so cover everything including yourself) and using an acid etch before priming. I have best success with Epoxy primers, and then paint with good quality paint. Spray can paint,(such as rust oleum, ect.) seems to be less successful than the good stuff that you get in the auto paint stores.
However, in dry climates without road salts to accelerate corrosion, I have had reasonably good success using rust oleum. I will sand, or use a wire wheel, to remove the rust, use a mild phosphorous acid to etch the surface, and prime and paint. I can get several years out of that sort of half way repair. If you do not weld, and do not have the capacities to weld, fiberglas repair to fill holes can also last a few years where you live. Not correct, and not the best, but can buy you some time.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
mcamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

I'm going through this now on mine. It was the result of a leaky master cylinder. All the fluid collected at that bottom corner. I had to cut out majority of the floor pan and custom Fab a new sheet in. Sanded the edges down and sprayed everything with ospho. Plan is to roll paint on and put in some seam sealer and the spray some 3m under coat on. New carpet from go westy is on my order list. Probably will throw in some fat mat or something too to help w sound.
BugBeeRanch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar issue Reply with quote

Hi Guys: I'm in San Francisco near beach area...have 1987 VW Westfalia, parking in the drive way last week which is on an incline and with a slight tilt, after heavy rain water found on carpet above step pretty soaked but no sign of water on the carpet above - meaning near the clutch, brake or gas pedal. I have parked in the driveway many a times under heavy rain with no issue.

Any thought on where it might have come in? Idea I looked at the seal around the door, it was wet at the bottom and there is some rust on the top rim of the door at the seal area.

Will pull off the door cover this weekend to look.

Read several different topics on water but none really seemed hit it, especially since this is a first for me. Had my VW since 2011, only was issue was the skylight which got resolved with a new seal Thanks!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

^^^ Typical leaky spots are antenna mount & windshield seal.

Good luck with your detective work... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

VW dipped their bodies into a primer / rust preventative solution.

The problem with dipping is that it must drain adequately and evenly once it is removed.

To aid this, VW drilled holes (usually two on each side) in the lower corners of the windshield frame.
These holes were not filled but were covered by the Windshield seal.
Sadly, when the seal dries up and pulls away from The body, water gets in behind the seal.....
Where does the water drain? ....... out of those holes and into your passenger compartment.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugBeeRanch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

Thanks. Also I read in another post on water issues that you should "Make sure you clean all the other drains out as well on both doors. I also like to pull the plugs out on the rockers"

What are the rockers exactly? And I don't see drains on my Westy, they don't even indicate their location in the Bentley book. Thanks again!
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

Not promote my own thread, but here it is:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621137

Take it as you will. The welding guys will say it is the only proper way. Others may suggest panel bonding adhesive. I went a little more old school. Only a suggestion if you find real holes upon further inspection.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: How bad is this rust? Floorboard under driver side carpet. Reply with quote

BugBeeRanch wrote:
Thanks. Also I read in another post on water issues that you should "Make sure you clean all the other drains out as well on both doors. I also like to pull the plugs out on the rockers"

What are the rockers exactly? And I don't see drains on my Westy, they don't even indicate their location in the Bentley book. Thanks again!

The front door drains are not easy to see..... this thread I made on door windows shows where they are.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649253&highlight=

This thread shows the rear lid drains......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577078&highlight=

The rockers are the lowest portion of the sides. On the sliding door, it is under the lower sliding door roller.
On the drivers side it is under the lowest horizontal body seam.
Vanagon rockers have built in drain holes, there is a rubber plug in the rear portion (forward of the rear tires) but they allow entry into the body, leave them installed.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: