Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1985 Quantum 1.8 starter wiring question...
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edselsouth1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: 1985 Quantum 1.8 starter wiring question... Reply with quote

11985 Quantum 1.8, 5 speed. There are three wires going to the starter solenoid. Large and small going to large hot 12v solenoid terminal, small red going to a spade lug on solenoid nearest to the block (test light lights, when key is switched to the start position so it appears ok), and a small black going to a spade lug on solenoid farthest side from the block. Question is about the black wire. Is this wire a ground wire? Is it's source from the ignition switch itself? Testing w/ a test light (from + battery terminal), will the test light come on when the key is on (car not running) to show that this wire is indeed a ground wire, and has continuity? I replaced this black wire from the connector @ the right strut tower area down to the solenoid, as the wire was in pieces inside the casing,and apparently intermittent. Can't remember if I had tested it as asked above or not (duh!). Anyone? Thanks, David.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Quantum 1.8 starter wiring question... Reply with quote

VW liked to use the secondary circuit from the starter to power other things while in start position, effectively using the solenoid on the starter as a relay. Remember black wires on a German car are usually 12v positive, ground is brown. Some of the sciroccos used this circuit for fuel enrichment for starting.

When you are testing continuity on this circuit it is showing as ground because the consumer component is wanting power from the starter.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
edselsouth1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1985 Quantum 1.8 starter wiring question... Reply with quote

TDCTDI.... Thanks for your reply. (Sorry, I didn't take this thing apart, and I'm not good at all on electrical).
The wire that I repaired/replaced, plugs on to a spade lug on the solenoid (either #15a or #50, I don't know which one) on the lower end. The upper end plugs into a square connector near the rt. strut tower. That connector has two wires in one side of it, and only one wire in the other. The two wires are a large red w/black stripe, and what looks to be a smaller pink or red w/ a green stripe on it (can't tell the actual color). The single wire in the connector is black w/ a white stripe. All wires go to the solenoid. Which number spade on the solenoid should the larger wire connect to (15a or 50)? Sorry, unable to post a picture of the connector and wiring. I'll try to post a pic again after a while. Thanks for your help. David
edselsouth1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Quantum 1.8 starter wiring question... Reply with quote

Thanks to those who responded to my questions, the starter problem is now solved. David
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1985 Quantum 1.8 starter wiring question... Reply with quote

Can you say what it was
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: