Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was the Privacy Line Crossed
Line Crossed
82%
 82%  [ 28 ]
Line Not Crossed
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 34

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

A favorite sign at the fence of a rural neighbor:

"Surviving trespassers will be prosecuted"
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

"Surviving trespassers will be prosecuted"

Also seen "Trespassers will be shot survivors will be shot again"
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

trespassers will be prostituted"

there fixed it. Shocked
it was probably the mail man, ups guy or fedex chick that outed you. there is only 1 proper thing to do ....send them to my house. Im getting close to relaizing everything has to go. Im not going to last as long as the car.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
If the VW has been in your garage for 10 years then they would have to know somebody that worked in DMV or state agency, or they themselves do. It makes it even more complicated if they live in another state. As I said somebody could be fired for releasing your info.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Somebody needs fired or at least bitch slapped its wrong to give out that info.

Agreed.. if that's what happened.. which I feel did.. based on the answers I got.

In reality.. Im sure it was a simply inquiry for the information ..but.. the snooping thing is WAY over the line..

Just for shits I Googled the VIN..
Comes right to the Samba.. because I used it once or twice on here.. d'oh!
Which.. anyone interweb savyy.. links my user name.. and ads.. and phone number.. and yes.. even a general location thanks to my Samba ads.
Id speculate with enough information now.. an address, name and more could be found..

I blame the Samba.. and interweb.. and .. myself for those mistakes now.. Mad

Granted.. unless someone new the VIN.. which obviously they did.. a search would have never occurred.

So.. take notes people..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

I voted "line not crossed" only, and I mean ONLY, if you cannot prove he peeped in through the windows. I always look for the tell tale "hand visors" shape left when someone leans in to a window with sun glare in need of blocking.

Most of my VWs were acquired when never advertised for sale. I am always clear with folks that I did not approach their car and always go straight to the front door first. I've never approached someone where their car was concealed. Even if I KNEW they had a VW in the garage, the only time to approach is when you happen by and the door's open. I finally was able to approach an owner of a '68 GTO this way. I knew his car was there but it took roughly 12 years for me to catch him during the right day when the door was up. Patience is key.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

If he was a previous owner trying to buy his car back, he could of tracked you down by talking to the guy he sold it to and so on, not that much of a stretch to successfully find your old car.

If he was casing the place he would not have left his contact info behind, like any of us he got excited about finding the car of his dreams and in his case locating his old car. In his exuberance he violated some courtesy rules.

Trespassing violation, not so much, even though its posted they would still need to be placed on trespass notice. As much as you're going to hate this next fact, everyone has to assume that they either did not see the signs, could not read the signs, or thought they were for someone else or another purpose.

Did he cross the line / lines, yeah I would say so, but from what you have gathered it doesn't seem like his intentions were malicious. Politely tell him it isn't for sale and that you will keep his number in case you change your mind, then give him one last chance to make an offer. If no deal is made tell him firmly that you do not expect to see him on the property either in person or on camera ever again without an invite.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

I still say the nicest guy in the world has some questionable friends, whose contact info you DON'T have, and who can cause you trouble.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless you are willing to sell it, I would not engage him at all. No reply needed.

If he persists, I'd contact the police to make out a report

You'd have to tell the hopeful buyer 'no' before you file a report. Otherwise, he is just following up on what appears to be an incomplete conversation. A simple 'not for sale' would do.

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times when stuck in traffic people will start honking their horns and yelling at me "hey, is your car for sale?" Hey, do you see a f***ing "for sale" sign on the car? No and no.

This just seems to be a fact of life with these cars. Yesterday I was at the cemetery trimming gravesite bushes our family is paying 'perpetual care' for. One of the maintenance workers pulls up in a truck. I was expecting him to tell me not to bother, as they were going to do it. Instead he asks me if the car is for sale. I told him no, and that I'd have it the rest of my life. Yes, even in a cemetery.

As for private property practices, I never set a foot on someone else's property, even if there's open gates and no signs. If I see something interesting, I'll look from the street or sidewalk. I expect others to do the same. So yes, lines were crossed, imho, and probably legally, as well.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:

Trespassing violation, not so much, even though its posted they would still need to be placed on trespass notice. As much as you're going to hate this next fact, everyone has to assume that they either did not see the signs, could not read the signs, or thought they were for someone else or another purpose.

Did he cross the line / lines, yeah I would say so, but from what you have gathered it doesn't seem like his intentions were malicious. Politely tell him it isn't for sale and that you will keep his number in case you change your mind, then give him one last chance to make an offer. If no deal is made tell him firmly that you do not expect to see him on the property either in person or on camera ever again without an invite.

I went through a situation a few years ago with trespassers and got specific legal advice although laws vary by state. I was told to install "Keep Out" signs within plain site and definitely on all four corners of the property. Why keep out? I asked. Because it covers all contingencies such as hiking, fishing, bird watching,etc. you get the idea because its been argued successfully before that someone disregarded the no trespassing because they were engaged in some other activity, kind of like the required warnings on a ladder.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

my favorite-
anyone found here after dark will be found here in the morning.

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

My favorite

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here ya go ZF.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

Surprised the sign is not bullet laden.. :2gunfire:

Laughing
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

Our single cab is parked in the back yard but clearly visible from the street, sidewalk, alley and probably Google Earth. It is not for sale.
About a year ago a guy knocks on the door asking about it. I explain that it is not for sale. He leaves me his contact information. Three months later he is back and I explain once again that it is NFS. Two more months and he shows up once again. This time I tell him that he is bothering me and I probably would never sell to him. He gets quite offended and claims I "promised him" I would sell to him.
Goodbye buddy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

^
I'm pretty much the same way... Once ok.. twice.. eh... next time.. you are probably out no matter what.
Snooping and peering into windows.. yeah .. you are out..

Classic Example..
I have a 62 semi done basket case ragtop sunroof sedan crammed in my cellar that will be up for sale most likely next year or so. Has not seen day light in 8 years.
An acquaintance wants it.... and I told him when I was ready to sell.. he will have first shot..
He has called twice now within the last year.. . .. and is about to be added to my do not call list.
Last time he offered to make payments for me to finish it like he wants it. ..
Rolling Eyes Yeah like I'm that stupid.. thats like the stuff seen on The Peoples Court...
I do need to thin the VW fleet not add insult to injury.
Keeping the flop top.. was always my intention.

Usually and often edited
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

I vultured several of my vehicles this way, the Eurovan weekender that I have I initially contacted them 4 years before they sold it to me & checked in every 6 months or so. One day after about a year between check ins, I checked Clist & saw one listed, when I called I asked for directions to where it was located & realized it was the same van, I reintroduced myself & they remembered me & said that they had lost my # & they immediately pulled the ad & sold it to me.

My 68 bus, I stalked it for 15 years checking in occasionally. The owner never wanted to sell it until the last time I checked in on it & made a deal.

The key is, IMO, to be polite but not intrusive & to just sit down with them & shoot the shit with them, if you don't get the vehicle so be it, but maybe you can at least make a friend.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

Confession: my farmer neighbor had a rusty, engineless '65 Bus in his field near the creek. I'd ridden by it on horseback multiple times (which is trespassing, but no signs or fences on our side of the field). At his stand, I asked the farmer one day and he said the Bus was not his; he'd let the owner park it there 10 years before. I tracked down the owner and eventually bought it for $50.

I was later told never trespass on a farmer's field... your first warning is usually lead overhead.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
your first warning is usually lead overhead.

I just saw a sign at a business that read "Due to the increase in the cost of ammunition, no warning shots will be fired"

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

I purchased my '58 convertible that way. I lived in a gang infested neighborhood, and at a particular house that everyone said was questionable, there was this '58 bug convertible I knew of. After many attempts and intrusions, one day I finally got a nod and bought the bug. They asked me how I knew about it, and I said, I heard from someone you had a vert back there. It took two years. To volkswagnut, sorry for your loss, but get another pup, he or she will keep your house safe.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

So........how much is the '61 convertible?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The nerve of prior owners seeking sentiment Reply with quote

More signs:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: