Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB)..
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Back in 1975, a trio of Volkswagen enthusiasts here in the UK founded the Split Window Beetle section of the VWOC (GB). Rod Sleigh (who is currently finishing off the restoration of his '46 Beetle), Brian Screaton (from whom I obtained this information and is a long-time VW enthusiast) and Bill Foottit (sadly no longer with us), organised the inaugural meeting of the Split Window Beetle chapter at a Volkswagen dealership called Federated Garages in Market Harborough, Leicestershire.
Five Split Window Beetles attended this meeting on 17th May 1975. I wasn't able to attend this meeting, nor was I particularly interested in doing so, as I was only four weeks old at the time.

Here is a picture from that first meeting:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From left to right: Bill Foottit's Pastel Green '51 (42 BXA), Derek Smith's Black '51 (SLH 16), Maurice Goldsmith's Black RHD '52 (MRT 308), Rod Sleigh's '49 (TJJ 62) and Jaques Merten's Pastel Green '51 (Jaques travelled from Belgium to attend the meeting!)

This afternoon, I just happened to be driving past the site of Federated Garages in my '47. The building is still there and very much looks the same, but is no longer a VW dealership:

Hope somebody finds this information of interest!
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeliz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

Technically you could have made that first meeting Smile

Thanks again for your time when i was over there in July.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Jeliz wrote:
Hey Rich,

Technically you could have made that first meeting Smile

Thanks again for your time when i was over there in July.

Jim

No worries Jim, it was good to meet you.
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Great picture Rich, I bet it wasn't as cold and wet when you were there recently as when we met for that first meeting.

I believe the red Oval seen in the background of the top picture would have belonged to Paul Smith, Derek's Son. I seem to remember its fate was being written off in an road traffic accident. Paul is still in the VW business in the West Midlands I think.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.

Last edited by rod_vw on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Nice picture. A hairy, young Rod Sleigh can be seen 2nd from the right. Not that he's devoid of hair these days, and I'm sure could get it back to this length without trouble. Two of these cars are no longer in the UK. SLH went to the USA many years ago, and TJJ went to Hawaii not long after, where I believe they both remain.

Federated Garages were good to me back in the late 70's/early 80's, as Richard Cotton told me that they were selling off their stock, which in retrospect might be a prelude to them closing down, and so I went and had a look at what was for sale. I ended up coming home with a pair of NOS doors for a pre Oct 52 split window beetle, which I still have today, unused! The stuff of dreams even then.
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Nice picture. A hairy, young Rod Sleigh can be seen 2nd from the right. Not that he's devoid of hair these days, and I'm sure could get it back to this length without trouble. Two of these cars are no longer in the UK. SLH went to the USA many years ago, and TJJ went to Hawaii not long after, where I believe they both remain.

Federated Garages were good to me back in the late 70's/early 80's, as Richard Cotton told me that they were selling off their stock, which in retrospect might be a prelude to them closing down, and so I went and had a look at what was for sale. I ended up coming home with a pair of NOS doors for a pre Oct 52 split window beetle, which I still have today, unused! The stuff of dreams even then.

Interesting history (+ "Time Capsule" photographs) there Rich and commentary Martin; might my car, a March 14, 1952 11G Deluxe Beetle in Azure Blue with matching sunroof cover, with ownership traced to Richard Cotton in early 1970s; then registered as 70FYF. (which he himself confirms to be the first split beetle he'd ever restored).
It bears the club decals on the windscreen:
Here's another view of it from the back:

I did't see any sunroofs in your photo, but could it be familiar?
Thanks for looking,
and any insights,
Grant

What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

I've just tried ringing Richard to verify things, but he's out! If I remember correctly, 70 FYF was a the car Richard took to Stanford Hall for a Practical Classics magazine comparison with a Morris Minor, for which I was also present. I have some pictures of the car, including one where Richard had been towed back in it, because something had caused the engine to stop. He's wasn't happy at me taking the picture, and I still have it somewhere, and will dig it out.

Nice to see in the picture that the windscreen (US=Windshield) is still held in place with an original window rubber, with the 45 degree join.

It seemed that every car Richard had for a while was light blue, and I was sure he had a 40 gallon drum of light blue paint hidden somewhere. I always said that he's cars were painted in Cotton Blue!
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Grant Reiling wrote:
Martin Southwell wrote:

Interesting history (+ "Time Capsule" photographs) there Rich and commentary Martin; might my car, a March 14, 1952 11G Deluxe Beetle in Azure Blue with matching sunroof cover, with ownership traced to Richard Cotton in early 1970s; then registered as 70FYF. (which he himself confirms to be the first split beetle he'd ever restored).
It bears the club decals on the windscreen:
Here's another view of it from the back:

I did't see any sunroofs in your photo, but could it be familiar?
Thanks for looking,
and any insights,
Grant

I didn't realise you owned FYF Grant. Very interesting.
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Here is one of the pictures I was talking about above, at Stanford Hall in the early 80's. Note the tool box! I do have a better photo somewhere, clearly showing Richard with very long hair, which I'll dig out when back from holiday in a couple of weeks time.

Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Here is one of the pictures I was talking about above, at Stanford Hall in the early 80's. Note the tool box! I do have a better photo somewhere, clearly showing Richard with very long hair, which I'll dig out when back from holiday in a couple of weeks time.

Thank you very much for this photo (+ any others you find) Martin; the car is presently awaiting restoration, and I am assembling a folio of documentation on it for future display once completed; so would like to add this to that if you don't mind.
Best Regards,
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Grant - I found that other photo I was talking about earlier, showing Richard Cotton & 70 FYF at Stanford Hall in the early 1980's. In it you can clearly see the car on the end of a rope (or should that be on top of it?) having been towed by an early Audi, which was 'the business' in those days, and which I think belonged to Brian Screaton, who always had more 'up market' cars than we did for our everyday transport!

You can see Richard looking like someone we all know well from Biblical times, and as I said previously, not very happy at me taking pictures of his dilema.

How far is the car from being roadworthy today? Surely it can't be that bad if it's been sitting in garages for the past 40 years? Any pictures available?
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:

Grant - I found that other photo I was talking about earlier, showing Richard Cotton & 70 FYF at Stanford Hall in the early 1980's. In it you can clearly see the car on the end of a rope (or should that be on top of it?) having been towed by an early Audi, which was 'the business' in those days, and which I think belonged to Brian Screaton, who always had more 'up market' cars than we did for our everyday transport!

You can see Richard looking like someone we all know well from Biblical times, and as I said previously, not very happy at me taking pictures of his dilema.

How far is the car from being roadworthy today? Surely it can't be that bad if it's been sitting in garages for the past 40 years? Any pictures available?

Hi Martin, thanks for sharing this early photo. I have talked to Mr. Cotton by phone; though never had a face to go with the name. Very Happy
The resemblance to The Savior from Nazareth is well-founded! Cool
And yes; you're correct that given its indoor sheltering over the ensuing decades...the car looks very good still; its original 25hp. engine has been rebuilt and runs well...however, there's some previous front-end damage which wasn't correctly repaired which needs correcting; and the aprons aren't the proper 'H' ones which will be fixed too.
at this time, I'm opting for a full bare-metal restoration and repaint...though will stay with L36 Azure Blue since that's been it's color scheme since I've had it; and which I admire...though am going with a black sunroof cover; which was part of a deal I got on the OG split fenders.
No timeline or photos at this time though.
Misaru Emoto
kevsplitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Section of the Volkswagen Owners Club (GB).. Reply with quote

Love this Rich, i was there but only 8 at the time Cool
This is dad when he first brought MRT home he paid £90 for it & his dad my grandad said what the hell is that !! He was a true british leyland man so when dad went German he wasn't too pleased lol

Me & my brother

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: