Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early bay drivers door won't lock!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

Hey all

So I had this drivers door locking issue, I decided to bite the bullet and pull it all apart. I finally got my grubby mitts on the mechanism and it must be said I was very impressed by the engineering! I started to pull and push and prod and figure out how it works and came to the conclusion that the mechanism itself was well and truly capable of locking from inside as well as out. GREAT!

I lubed it all up and popped it back in the door. Things going well so far. Then I thought I'd fit the handle and give it a dry run. DISASTER! Exactly the same thing happened - basically the key goes into the lock fine, starts to turn but only turns 90 - 135 degrees, and the door doesn't lock obviously. This was with the door catch set to the 'shut' position. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I took a look inside the door to see what was happening and then it became apparent.

First photo - key barrel in neutral position (looks ok?):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When it is turned to lock it though, the protruding arm from the barrel of the lock hits the top of the backwards 'C' and forces it sideways instead of forcing it up as it should to lock it:

I'm not sure if that final description made sense but hopefully if you know these mechs you will understand what I mean. Basically, something has become misaligned causing the key to be pushing the mechanism sideways instead of up. Problem is nothing in terms of the handle or mechanism are adjustable in position (for good reason I suspect - there's a lot of force at work in there).

Out of interest when i locked it with my hand, the key would unlock it...

Does anyone have ANY idea what may have caused this? I have someone renting the van next weekend and don't know if it's a case of buying a new mechanism - I'm happy to but would rather know it's that at fault!

Thanks in advance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

That's an odd looking lever on that door handle, new aftermarket I assume?

You might try moving the handle back and down in the door, the holes are larger than the screws and do allow for a tiny bit of adjustment.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

As Bd posted, looks aftermarket. Mount as far toward the 'U' as you can.

Also try gently bending the 'U' shaped piece on the door lock toward the door handle actuating pin.
Door Latch 69-73 Bay

Front locking mechanism left 74-79

Good luck
Tcash
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will give that a go.

I'll be damned too... Looks like I have a later mech in my early bay! Will that cause a problem?
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

If I get a replacement does anyone know if the early and late mechanisms are interchangeable?

Thanks.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

I don't know what the difference is. They look the same to me. VW may have changed a spring or something minor on the later one?
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

73+ has an extra lever for the lock button on the inner window sill, I've never tried one with the early inner handle to see if it locks that way too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

That latch doesn't look much like a bus latch to me. Neither of the two styles I have on hand are shaped the same,
and the "C" part that the lock cylinder pin is supposed to move up and down can not move sideways because
a piece welded to it rides in a thin slot. Can you reposition the lock cylinder pin 180* from where it is now? The ones
I have can be set in any of 4 positions because it has a square socket that sits on the square end of the lock cylinder.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

You could try slipping a piece of rubber hose over the pin the give it a little more thickness.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

Can you get the camera in the door and take a pic straight on?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
73+ has an extra lever for the lock button on the inner window sill, I've never tried one with the early inner handle to see if it locks that way too.

The window sill lock button, which pulls up, was introduced in 1974.

But there is indeed a difference between '72 and '73. In 1972, the front doors could be locked by having the door open, pressing the lock tab closed, and just shutting the door.

In 1973 and later, you have to hold the handle pull on the outside in order for the door to lock.

I guess too many people locked their keys inside until 1973.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

The window sill lock button, which pulls up, was introduced in 1974.

But there is indeed a difference between '72 and '73. In 1972, the front doors could be locked by having the door open, pressing the lock tab closed, and just shutting the door.
In 1973 and later, you have to hold the handle pull on the outside in order for the door to lock.

I guess too many people locked their keys inside until 1973.

Not on mine, sounds like the little spring is broken in your latch, all bay latches (should) unlock if you don't hold the trigger when closing.

Слава Україні!
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drivers door won't lock! Reply with quote

Hey chaps

So I finally figured it...

Got the bloody thing out the door AGAIN (that job is a pain in the a55!!). Then bent the 'U' as per instructed. First of all bent it too far which meant the door open mechanism wouldn't work anymore, so had to adjust again but finally all was good. Was surprised at the ease that the metal was able to be adjusted but went with it.

Installed it into door et voila! All working... For 3 times locking / unlocking then back to square 1.

Pulled it out AGAIN and decided to grind a bit off the inside of the top of the U to allow the pin to more easily move into it. Also bent it back again. Re-installed the *&^&%*&ing thing.

Working again... For 3 times! But then looked closer as to what had happened and basically where the metal was easy to manipulate to me bending it one way, this was the same for the door pin bending it the other way!! At least we have a route cause so have a new mech in the post and hopefully all will be well.

I'll keep ya posted Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: