Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breather hose connection
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Breather hose connection Reply with quote

I'm confused. Is there two types of oil bath air cleaners for the Think? The one I have, the breather hose connection goes straight down but I've seen ones that have a 90 degree elbow. I just got the hose from The Thing Shop and it is a straight hose. It would work great if my air cleaner had the 90 degree elbow but it doesn't. So when I attach the hose it gets a kink in it. Do they make a different hose with a 90 degree on one end to account for the air cleaners with the straight down connection?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures would help, but there are 2 hoses to the air cleaner that could be called "breather hose"

There's a hose to the oil tower, and one that goes to the port on top of the fan shroud.

In some way that I can't recall off the top of my head, parts of this involves the vapor canister / fuel system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a picture of brothers engine which is about as close to stock as you can get how does yours compare to this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather hose connection Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
I'm confused. Is there two types of oil bath air cleaners for the Think? The one I have, the breather hose connection goes straight down but I've seen ones that have a 90 degree elbow. I just got the hose from The Thing Shop and it is a straight hose. It would work great if my air cleaner had the 90 degree elbow but it doesn't. So when I attach the hose it gets a kink in it. Do they make a different hose with a 90 degree on one end to account for the air cleaners with the straight down connection?

I just bought a preformed piece of heater hose from my FLAPS to replace my original breather hose with a 90° bend in it. I know that I will have to replace this hose every few years if I don't find one more suitable for use with oil and engine gases.

The one thing you want is for the hose to drain back into the engine. If there is a downward sag in it it will trap oily sludge and will easily clog at which point the resulting back pressure will blow all of your oil out of any and all available orifices in your engine. Believe me this is not a cool happening.
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are pictures of the two different breather hose connections. One has the 90 degree elbow and one goes straight down.

Mine is straight down. It looks like the hose will work for either one.

Another question ..... What should the orientation be for the oil filler? Should the breather hose be next to the cap like the picture on the right or below the cap like the picture on the left?

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
Another question ..... What should the orientation be for the oil filler? Should the breather hose be next to the cap like the picture on the right or below the cap like the picture on the left?

I always position the breather so that it drains back into the engine as well as it can. Don't know what is considered correct though.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this is a picture of a 74 with less that 9000 original miles so this is the way they come from the factory
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
ok this is a picture of a 74 with less that 9000 original miles so this is the way they come from the factory

I’m having trouble getting to the alternator strap, because the oil filler is positioned like this, with the breather neck up. Should it be positioned down, or up and rotated only when needing to get to the strap.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
citroen wrote:

I’m having trouble getting to the alternator strap, because the oil filler is positioned like this, with the breather neck up. Should it be positioned down, or up and rotated only when needing to get to the strap.

Rotate it as needed to get to the strap. I have a tool made up in a few minutes by grinding down the strap from a gate hinge to do this job. Lots of stuff you may have laying around may suffice for a oil filler tool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: