Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

jamtonio wrote:
trythis wrote:
Are you opposed to replacing the heater tubes and floor pans all together rather than trying to patch that?

I’m not opposed to it at all if it’s necessary or just a better option overall. I’m just trying to figure out the time and money issues so I can make plans, set goals, find advice and wisdom in case I do decide to learn to weld myself.

It really depends on whether or not you're planning on keeping it. I only say that as heater channels and rocker skins are a fairly big and complicated job.
I only say that, as most of the rocker skins are for the 68 and newer cars, and have some slightly different shapes at the door post area. My son ran into that this summer when he replaced them on his 65 Square. Not to mention some of the rocker skin sections are larger than others (Monte ran into this with the ones he got from ISP). In fact you might want to look thru Monte's build thread for ideas of what you're up against when looking at rebuilding those sections.
For your floors, I think you can get away with the sections ISP sells, as yours don't really look like they're all that bad (I've seen worse). Bob Norman used them for his 65 Square, and did a nice photo array of them while the body was still on the pan (Monte did a body off).

As for the rear bumper mount, it doesn't look like it's been moved. It looks more like the bumper bracket has been tweaked inward, or maybe the bumper has been flattened (it's straight versus having a slight curve to it). This happens more often than you think. The rear bumper I originally used on my 71 Notch was flattened, and the bumper brackets had been adjusted to fit. I only found this out when I tried to install a trailer hitch on the car, and it wouldn't fit (the bumper sat too far in). Once I found a better rear bumper, everything fit properly.
Just a heads up, and I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
trythis wrote:
Are you opposed to replacing the heater tubes and floor pans all together rather than trying to patch that?

I’m not opposed to it at all if it’s necessary or just a better option overall. I’m just trying to figure out the time and money issues so I can make plans, set goals, find advice and wisdom in case I do decide to learn to weld myself.

It really depends on whether or not you're planning on keeping it. I only say that as heater channels and rocker skins are a fairly big and complicated job.
I only say that, as most of the rocker skins are for the 68 and newer cars, and have some slightly different shapes at the door post area. My son ran into that this summer when he replaced them on his 65 Square. Not to mention some of the rocker skin sections are larger than others (Monte ran into this with the ones he got from ISP). In fact you might want to look thru Monte's build thread for ideas of what you're up against when looking at rebuilding those sections.
For your floors, I think you can get away with the sections ISP sells, as yours don't really look like they're all that bad (I've seen worse). Bob Norman used them for his 65 Square, and did a nice photo array of them while the body was still on the pan (Monte did a body off).

As for the rear bumper mount, it doesn't look like it's been moved. It looks more like the bumper bracket has been tweaked inward, or maybe the bumper has been flattened (it's straight versus having a slight curve to it). This happens more often than you think. The rear bumper I originally used on my 71 Notch was flattened, and the bumper brackets had been adjusted to fit. I only found this out when I tried to install a trailer hitch on the car, and it wouldn't fit (the bumper sat too far in). Once I found a better rear bumper, everything fit properly.

Thank you so much, it does help quite a bit. I have been looking around at rocker skins trying to gauge a price. Assuming just the skins need replacing. I saw these on eBay, and made the assumption they were crap, but who knows.
https://www.ebay.com/i/401424556402
. I will most likely go for the isp pans to use.

Yeah I looked at Monte’s work. Wishing he lived in my town. In over my head like crazy.

"The more walking-around money I have, the less I walk around."
-Iggy Pop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

jamtonio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
trythis wrote:

Thank you so much, it does help quite a bit. I have been looking around at rocker skins trying to gauge a price. Assuming just the skins need replacing. I saw these on eBay, and made the assumption they were crap, but who knows.

Yeah I looked at Monte’s work. Wishing he lived in my town. In over my head like crazy.

You have a lot going on in those rockers and I believe the item you want to get on ebay will come up short on material you need to cover what you have going on. The area at the bottom of the front fender that makes up the bottom of the A-pillar looks to be fairly gone. That'll need to be sourced or built. You may want to contat boo-koo-z (joel) or Mike Fisher and ask if they have the correct rockers for our car. I say this because the inners may be just as bad on the driver's side. The passenger's side looks to be in great shape (inner) but the outer could be toasted as well and covered/painted over. but before you, remove the front and rear fender and look at the entire rocker. Get a good sense of what you may need, take a pic and include it in your inquiry.

As mentioned, there's alot going on with the rockers and alot to consider when doing repairs down there. heat flaps at the vent, inner heat tube that transfers heat, mounting holes and bolts for the pan and seatbelt, vents louvers all need to be taken into consideration. Not to mention alignment onto teh body so the fenders line up as well as the door. After it was all over with, my fenders were off in aligning with the front and rear's edge but the door was good. Learned alot.

I should have the channels in the mail later today. Best advice I can give is to look at the whole project (Rockers), study it from front to rear and develop a plan on how you're going to address it.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
trythis wrote:

You have a lot going on in those rockers and I believe the item you want to get on ebay will come up short on material you need to cover what you have going on. The area at the bottom of the front fender that makes up the bottom of the A-pillar looks to be fairly gone. That'll need to be sourced or built. You may want to contat boo-koo-z (joel) or Mike Fisher and ask if they have the correct rockers for our car. I say this because the inners may be just as bad on the driver's side. The passenger's side looks to be in great shape (inner) but the outer could be toasted as well and covered/painted over. but before you, remove the front and rear fender and look at the entire rocker. Get a good sense of what you may need, take a pic and include it in your inquiry.

As mentioned, there's alot going on with the rockers and alot to consider when doing repairs down there. heat flaps at the vent, inner heat tube that transfers heat, mounting holes and bolts for the pan and seatbelt, vents louvers all need to be taken into consideration. Not to mention alignment onto teh body so the fenders line up as well as the door. After it was all over with, my fenders were off in aligning with the front and rear's edge but the door was good. Learned alot.

I should have the channels in the mail later today. Best advice I can give is to look at the whole project (Rockers), study it from front to rear and develop a plan on how you're going to address it.

I agree with Monte 100%. That rocker skin will be short on material. And what he mentioned about the inside of the heater channels/inner rockers. Having replaced several sets of skins, and even rebuilding heater channels, I've seen all sorts of rust in places that it happens and nothing surprises me any more. Usually I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. That way I'm not let down when I keep finding rust. It also doesn't help when a PO, or PPO (Previous Previous Owner) has done some repair work.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
trythis wrote:

Thanks for the input and advice MonT3, I really went through your thread last night for your ‘67 and went to bed feeling like a bum. Because of my lack of experience I was confusing the inner rocker with the heater tube etc.... I do believe the inners even on the drivers side is good, but then again my lack of experience doesn’t really help in that department. As I dig around and clean up the inside I’ll take pics, and know more. The other outer skin on the passenger side doesn’t look as bad, but it is not good either and could be like the drivers side, a Bondo sculptural event. I’ll look into those you mentioned and see if they have the rockers I need.
Thanks again. Keep me posted on the channel pieces.

-Iggy Pop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamtonio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
trythis wrote:

I agree with Monte 100%. That rocker skin will be short on material. And what he mentioned about the inside of the heater channels/inner rockers. Having replaced several sets of skins, and even rebuilding heater channels, I've seen all sorts of rust in places that it happens and nothing surprises me any more. Usually I hope for the best, and plan for the worst. That way I'm not let down when I keep finding rust. It also doesn't help when a PO, or PPO (Previous Previous Owner) has done some repair work.

Well I still hope that this is the worst....but I’ll keep in mind more darkness to come for sure now.

-Iggy Pop
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

jamtonio wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
jamtonio wrote:
trythis wrote:

Thanks for the input and advice MonT3, I really went through your thread last night for your ‘67 and went to bed feeling like a bum. Because of my lack of experience I was confusing the inner rocker with the heater tube etc.... I do believe the inners even on the drivers side is good, but then again my lack of experience doesn’t really help in that department. As I dig around and clean up the inside I’ll take pics, and know more. The other outer skin on the passenger side doesn’t look as bad, but it is not good either and could be like the drivers side, a Bondo sculptural event. I’ll look into those you mentioned and see if they have the rockers I need.
Thanks again. Keep me posted on the channel pieces.

Can't beat yourself up over your cars 'challenges'. I completely tore mine apart as I wanted to know what I was up against. and even though I did, I still found new 'challenges' I had to face otherwise I wouldn't get to drive it. I was very optimistic in believing I could hammer mine out in 6 months only to complete the car 2 1/2 years later. That's why having a plan is important so you can set some milestones for yourself, figure out, group areas to work and plan on you're going to attack those areas. Jumping around the car isn't going to help and you'll leave areas unattended and forget them as you move along. So don't be discouraged as you dig into the car. Remember, the car is 52yrs old and however many POs have owned it, they did shit to it and now it's yours. Can't take it back to you have to deal with what you have AND YOU can make it better than when you got it. I didn't do any body work since 1983 when I was in HS working on my dads 74 Monte Carlo. That was it. When I got my car, it had issues and I found more as time went along. I recall floating in my car on it's drive home from GA while caught in a rain storm. The holes in the floor pan allowed the rain to seep into the car and saturate the carpet. Wouldn't have known but the car was mine so I had to deal with it.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Take it little by little and learn from others that have gone down this road. Doing a rebuilt isn't hard, it can be challenging and will consume your time but you can get thru it if you have a plan and patience. The only way you'll gain experience is to experience doing it. There are people here, myself included that will help you along your build you you're not alone. Bobnotch helped along my build with several others and they do it for alot of members on various topics.

A PM was sent on the channels. Now get back into that squareback! Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

https://www.vwispwest.com/315809509.html

Easier to just attach a dry rocker at the ends than to re-build one using china parts and rusty leftovers..

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 1966 Squareback Olde New Tymes Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
https://www.vwispwest.com/315809509.html

Easier to just attach a dry rocker at the ends than to re-build one using china parts and rusty leftovers..

That's an option too. You could also blast (or have it blasted) clean, and then seal it in epoxy primer. If you can get a "correct year" part, that'll make installing it easier. You'd still have to kind of work it like Monte did, in that you'll want to add some braces to hold the openings where they're at.

But I do agree with Monte in that you inherited all of the issues that any of the PO's might have done to it over the years. Look at what Steve's been dealing with on his own car for example, in that it had been side swiped, and repaired badly. Steve kept at it, and now it's at the body shop getting finished up.
Or look thru my Notch or T-34 Ghia threads, in that I had to do a bunch of rust repair on them.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: