Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

I just finished installing a SONY XAV-AX100 6.4" display touch screen head unit with CARPLAY and Android Auto in my 2001 Eurovan Weekender. This is a single DIN radio with a Double DIN display that with some cutting will fit in the Weekender.

Here's how I hacked it in; maybe it will inspire some of you as well.

Summary: About 1-2 hours, some cutting required, finish looks great although the headunit is not "secured" into the dash the way I did it.

Materials:
    1) XAV-AX100
    2) Metra 70-1784 Radio Wiring Harness
    3 )ISO to DIN antenna adapter
    4) Metra 99-9107B, which is apparently the newer version of the Metra 99-9102 2-DIN mounting kit (I also noticed a kit called "XTRONS Universal Double 2 DIN Frame Trim " on amazon that might work.

Process:

1) Remove single DIN radio
    Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2)Pull the facia off the HVAC controls (Its just snapped on, dont break it)
    3) Remove two screws holding the bottom shelf of the single DIN area and pull that piece out

4) Assuming your factory radio has a plastic alignment peg on the back, remove it and mount it to the back of your SONY (I had to cut a 1" m4 screw , customize with whatever you've got laying around...)

5)Wire up your Metra wiring adapter to your SONY harness
    6) Measure, mark and cut the HVAC trim panel; I used my harbor freight digital calipers.

7) I drilled some holes at the top for the tabs of the 2-DIN trim ring to secure, these were pretty important for getting the trim ring to stay in place

I also used a single DIN mounting cage that I put in backward. (sorry I forgot to take a picture). the cage helps hold the unit and I put it in backward so that I could get the head unit in flush with the dash, if you put it in correctly it would hold the head unit out about 3/8"

8.) Mark and trim the Metra 2-DIN trim facia; I cut the ends of the top tabs off and trimmed the top side tabs, then wrapped a few layers of aluminum foil tape on each tab to make them a tighter fit. I also had to shave the inner lip of the sides because it was hitting on the radio unit (I used a dremel tool). All of this step is pretty custom, you might do it differently than I did but this may get you started in a direction.

Put it all together:

I also installed a Kenwood KAC-M3004 amplifier which is in the space behind the cupholder/center console trim. This is an awesome amplifier, and I have some Kenwood KFC-P710PS speakers with Scosche SAC656 speaker adapters on the way. In the rear, I've hacked up the stock plastic speaker housings (quite a bit of hacking) and installed Rockford fosgate 4" R14x2.

Anyone looking for an upgrade but not wanting to get this custom, I did see a pretty good looking single DIN head unit, the JVC KD-AV41BT

I'm looking at adding a powered sub under the front passenger seat to, something like the Pioneer TS-WX120A
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Nice work, and nice post! Thanks for sharing the step-by-step. Smile

I also appreciate your sharing model-specific stereo components -- have been thinking about some similar kinds of upgrades, at some point down the road. Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

That Sony looks good -- the plastic around it is sort of matte and not glossy. How does it perform at night? I have problems with the glow of these screens distracting me when night driving.

Is there a trim plate you can find for the climate controls? The MK4 Golf/Jetta is very similar, might need a bit of cutting for the lower buttons - but it might give you a cleaner line beneath the stereo.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
That Sony looks good -- the plastic around it is sort of matte and not glossy. How does it perform at night? I have problems with the glow of these screens distracting me when night driving.

Is there a trim plate you can find for the climate controls? The MK4 Golf/Jetta is very similar, might need a bit of cutting for the lower buttons - but it might give you a cleaner line beneath the stereo.

I've only used this once (day and night) so I have some learning to do but I can say the interface is intuitive, the unit responds well, and there are settings for brightness including auto dimming and an adjustable dim level.

I found on first use in AUTO DIM mode it was too bright at night so I used the settings to turn dimming ON which worked well at night but was then too dim during the day. So, I can say the the screen can perform well in the day and the night but have not yet got the settings to automatically control it well. I can see that it dims when I turn the headlights on as well but... I need more time to figure out the settings. It is also quick easy to turn OFF the display, and then it turns back ON when you touch the screen or a button.

The trim I used is matte and matches well, I just happened to have it in a box of leftovers so there was zero thought or effort on selection. I cant imaging anyone looking this close but here's a close up for interest sake:

For comparison, here's what I had before (I think the sony is an improvement):

Regarding the area below the unit using the original trim, the results exceed my expectations considering how hack this installation was and none of the parts being designed for it although as the first to document installing this sony in the EV MV Weekender, I expect someone else might come up with additional tips and tricks. And, there is no visible gap with mine, you see the edge of the rubber matt but you don't actually see through or into the dash. I suspect that any guest in my van would never even notice this "aspect". And I think the alternate trim piece that I linked to on amazon is a few millimeters taller which might reduce this effect as well. It looks like the MK4 trim would be too short leaving a considerable gap, and cleanly cutting out the holes for the buttons could present a challenge (comparison areas show below in red).

MK4 HVAC:
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Your installation looks a lot better than mine. I used a generic trim ring that I had to grind down to fit, so the gaps are wavy and not professional at all. I also trimmed the lower panel down lower than yours, so when I do eventually buy a better trim ring, I'll need more material down there. Mine sits out a little more, which I assume is because I used a single DIN bracket to center the HU in place.

So far we're loving the features and functionality, though Siri seems to be a little hard of hearing and I often have to shout at her in order for her to wake up. We were heading back from Whidbey last week and needed to fuel up on Fidalgo, so I asked her for the nearest gas station, and she guided me there completely by voice commands as well as a map on the screen. I can't seem to get Pandora to load up for some reason. I really would like to find a traffic congestion app like Inrix that will work in Carplay. My wife had to use her phone to guide us away from the worst of Friday afternoon Seattle area traffic, but having that info on the big screen would've been more helpful.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Your installation looks a lot better than mine. I used a generic trim ring that I had to grind down to fit, so the gaps are wavy and not professional at all. I also trimmed the lower panel down lower than yours, so when I do eventually buy a better trim ring, I'll need more material down there. Mine sits out a little more, which I assume is because I used a single DIN bracket to center the HU in place.

I turned the single din cage around; this way I could insert the HU further into the dash and the cage still helped hold it centered in the opening
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Front door speaker upgrade complete, see details here:

Front speaker upgrade in 01-03 Eurovan -Kenwood 6.5" KFC-P710PS
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

@Marckcm2. You wrote: I found on first use in AUTO DIM mode it was too bright at night so I used the settings to turn dimming ON which worked well at night but was then too dim during the day. So, I can say the the screen can perform well in the day and the night but have not yet got the settings to automatically control it well. I can see that it dims when I turn the headlights on as well but... I need more time to figure out the settings. It is also quick easy to turn OFF the display, and then it turns back ON when you touch the screen or a button.

Have you figured this out? Have the same head unit and can manually toggle it to be bright enough for day or dim enough for night - but have found no way to automate that.

Also, how do you turn screen off? 2500 miles on my new EV and mostly used it the whole time. But would be good to know.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

To quickly turn the screen off, tap the volume button. It will bring up a quick menu of several options on the left of the screen EQ, screen off, and something else... maybe mute... tapping any button again will bring the screen back ON.

I haven't used the van in the past few days so still don't know about dimming

Last edited by markcm2 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
eurovank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

This is a fantastic install. My EVC has two rows of AC controls (5 dials, very space inefficient)..I have been considering moving the upper row to the left-bottom to make room for something like this. This is a great guide. Thank you.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

I have finished installing the 4" Fosgate R14X2 rear speakers and documented it here
dgoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

thank for these fantastic posts! I just got the same 2001 Weekender and am about to start a very similar journey, this thread is an amazing resource.
bennysghost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Thanks for this install guide. I bought all the parts on your list and was able to achieve a similar install with the new Sony XAV-AX5000.

One thing that didn't work after I installed however, was my radio reception. I'm not exactly sure what to do yet to get it working. I get couple of stations, but some others I used to get with the factory radio are no longer being received. This might be related: I had a cd changer wire that I decided not to try to hook up. It had like an 8-pin molex thing and metal ring that attached to the center screw in the back of the radio (maybe a ground for the cd changer?). Anyway that entire set of wiring was omitted from the new stereo

If anyone knows how to get this to work, would love to hear some solutions.

Also, OP, did you have to hook up the AX100 to an additional ground somewhere or was wiring the black ground wire on the radio to the black ground wire on the metra wiring adapter enough?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Did you use an adapter for the antenna plug? The Euro plug on the EV won't work with most aftermarket HUs

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

I did use an antenna adapter and I don’t recall if I used the ground through the harness adapter (I think I did) or if I just tied it to the chassis in the dash area. Should be the same either way.
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Interested to hear what you guys say here.... I've had the same Sony in my van since June or July 2017. My two gripes:
1) Radio signal is weak. My antenna was bent so I bought a replacement, and honestly, it is no better. Total disappointment.
2) I can't get the auto dim to work. Unit is amazing during the day, but nighttime is way too bright. You can manually dim it (hassle) or just turn screen off, which I do more often.

Any progress on these, I will be eager to learn! Other than that, unit is awesome!

Jake
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

jakefromstatefarm wrote:
Interested to hear what you guys say here.... I've had the same Sony in my van since June or July 2017. My two gripes:
1) Radio signal is weak. My antenna was bent so I bought a replacement, and honestly, it is no better. Total disappointment.
2) I can't get the auto dim to work. Unit is amazing during the day, but nighttime is way too bright. You can manually dim it (hassle) or just turn screen off, which I do more often.

Any progress on these, I will be eager to learn! Other than that, unit is awesome!

Jake

I refuse to listen to radio, so I cannot speak to the reception of this unit. I'm 100% streaming/download services like slacker, pandora, and amazon music.

For the dimmer, the eurovan is cursed in this regard, I cannot see the dash in the daytime when wearing sunglasses so I tend to turn on the dashlights which causes the head unit to dim. My head unit dimmer is set to "auto" and it senses the state of the van's instrument lights. I'm in the process of adding a backup camera and sub under the passenger seat; my plan is to add a physical toggle switch that allows me to manually switch dimmer state rather than having to go through the menu on the head unit. I thought about adding my own adjustable photo sensor to control the dimmer but that's too much time and effort for me these days.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

I have added a backup camera to this installation. Details near the bottom of the first page of (this post)
murso74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the one thing I can't figure out is how you got the single din cage in backwards, much less forwards. It's way too tight to get anything but the radio to slide in
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" touch screen install EV Weekender (2 DIN) Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean about the single DIN cage not fitting, but this is the trim piece I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U5UD8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have the auto-dimmer working fine on my install - I think I just used the Metra harness I got from Car Toys when I bought the head unit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: