Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Wiring Harness Questions - 1973 Thing Dash
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW-Upfitters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: New Wiring Harness Questions - 1973 Thing Dash Reply with quote

We have just installed a Thing Shop wiring harness and somehow ended up with a pair of wires that have no place to go. The Thing Shop seems baffled by this as well. Has anyone seen this before?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness Questions - 1973 Thing Dash Reply with quote

I installed a new Thing Shop harness a few years ago and also noticed that there were a few extra wires in the front harness. I don’t recall if they were the same color as your picture and if they were bundled together. One of them came out underneath the car in the same location as the two wires going to the horn - there are 3 wires total in my harness at that location - the switched 12v+ for the horn and the ground wire from the horn button circuit, plus the extra wire. I would guess this would be good for fog lights?

I don’t recall where the second extra wire ends up - probably at one of the light harness connections. I remember tracing them back then and confirming that they were extras. They really aren’t hurting anything and could be useful in the future so I left them there.

Hope that helps. I can look more closely at mine when I return home if needed.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness Questions - 1973 Thing Dash Reply with quote

I installed a Thing Shop harness about a year ago and had 2 additional wires as well. A red and a green wire if I recall. They are not on the wiring diagram. I called the Thing shop and was told that they were added to support either fog/driving lighting or dual horns. You can use them pretty much as you wish. I repurposed one for an electric washer pump.
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness Questions - 1973 Thing Dash Reply with quote

Semper Dad got it right. Just installed my harness from thingparts.com Had 2 extra wire blue and green, which came out up front with the head lights, blue on one side, and green on other. thingparts told me right away what they were for

Fog lights. I used mine for electric window washer pump and other for day time halo ring lights on new led headlights!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: