Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eclipse
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Eclipse Reply with quote

Southern California 10:10-10:20am.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

Nice job focusing it on your bus...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

Sheesh, this thread flopped bigtime. I figured people would post where they were or in their bus or maybe a picture. I know that at least one person was on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

my 13 window was parked at work...I was out on my route 2 hrs north of totality ...was raining and cloudy so I didn't see any of it...was blue skies and clear within an hr..go figure
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

Abou 2:30 pm I was working in the Garage, noticed it was happening, put on a welding helmit, yep it's an eclipes... back to work....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

Nice BarryL thanks for thinking of us, and that's about all I could see in NJ Cool

BarryL wrote:
Southern California 10:10-10:20am.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

Nice pics Cool
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

So my wife and I have been planning for about eight months to view this celestial phenomenon. I've viewed "partial" eclipses before, but never a "total" eclipse. Luckily we live about 10 miles off the outer edge of the projected path of the moons shadow on the outskirts of St. Louis. A close friend has property on the banks of the Osage River right where it merges into the Missouri River, almost in the center of the path of the eclipse about two hours drive from our home. So we planned to make a campout of this eclipse! We initially planned to take our '87 Vanagon Westfalia Camper GL, but we discovered a fuel leak in either a F.I. line or a fuel rail so parts were ordered but wouldn't arrive in time. So out of the garage came our trusty 1967 SO-42 Campmobile to save the day!

We took a beautiful country drive out to Greg's property and set-up camp and relaxed the day before and just hung out on Monday waiting for the phenomenon to occur.

In this simple cell phone shot below the camera couldn't capture (without some kind of a filter) the moon about half way across the sun, so you'll have to use your imagination. With viewing through filtered eclipse glasses our eyes definitely could see it perfectly. It was very cool to watch!

(EDIT: Holy Shit!!! In this shot below, not until I posted this to the Samba.com and viewed the photo full size, I hadn't noticed the small bizarre reflection that you can see just below the overhang over the windshield which, if you look close, you can see the moon crossing over the sun within the reflection. Weird!)

The actual two and a half minutes of "totality" and darkness that we got to personally experience was wonderfully odd, eerie, and very memorable. Sorry but we were too stunned to take photos during that part of the viewing. Crazy! This photo probably sums up what we looked like...

We are so glad that we got to see it, and lucky that the light cloudiness that morning broke up into a beautiful blue sky a few hours before eclipse time for perfect viewing conditions. We're already talking about the next one passing very close by again in 2024!

Bill & Kathryn Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
So my wife and I have been planning for about eight months to view this celestial phenomenon. I've viewed "partial" eclipses before, but never a "total" eclipse. Luckily we live about 10 miles off the outer edge of the projected path of the moons shadow on the outskirts of St. Louis. A close friend has property on the banks of the Osage River right where it merges into the Missouri River, almost in the center of the path of the eclipse about two hours drive from our home. So we planned to make a campout of this eclipse! We initially planned to take our '87 Vanagon Westfalia Camper GL, but we discovered a fuel leak in either a F.I. line or a fuel rail so parts were ordered but wouldn't arrive in time. So out of the garage came our trusty 1967 SO-42 Campmobile to save the day!

We took a beautiful country drive out to Greg's property and set-up camp and relaxed the day before and just hung out on Monday waiting for the phenomenon to occur.

In this simple cell phone shot below the camera couldn't capture (without some kind of a filter) the moon about half way across the sun, so you'll have to use your imagination. With viewing through filtered eclipse glasses our eyes definitely could see it perfectly. It was very cool to watch!

(EDIT: Holy Shit!!! In this shot below, not until I posted this to the Samba.com and viewed the photo full size, I hadn't noticed the small bizarre reflection that you can see just below the overhang over the windshield which, if you look close, you can see the moon crossing over the sun within the reflection. Weird!)

The actual two and a half minutes of "totality" and darkness that we got to personally experience was wonderfully odd, eerie, and very memorable. Sorry but we were too stunned to take photos during that part of the viewing. Crazy! This photo probably sums up what we looked like...

We are so glad that we got to see it, and lucky that the light cloudiness that morning broke up into a beautiful blue sky a few hours before eclipse time for perfect viewing conditions. We're already talking about the next one passing very close by again in 2024!

Bill & Kathryn Bowman

Bill great photos! It really must have been a cool sight to see. Love that '67 you have too!
Phil 4:13
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

Bill,

we actually set out to take the very shot you accidentally made. if you zoomed in, then the reflection of the sun and moon in front of it was quite noticeable. about the only way to take a picture of the whole thing without a filter.

not my first eclipse, but excited for the millenials that somehow could not remember the one i saw in the mid 70s Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

BulliBill your last photo looks like a poster for a '60's Saturday Matinee 3D Martian flick.

If you held your cellphone camera behind the glasses would that have worked to take a photo?
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

I tried the smart phone through the glasses.. didn't work for me. Far too much light to catch the moons cover. We had partial coverage here in PA, but it was completely clear and neat to see. Here's the old school, pin in paper trick- Simple Transport- Hagerstown MD. This Saturday! (shameless plug)

stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

We drove north to Philomath on Bellfountain Rd., picked up 20 and 223. Not one vehicle in front nor behind us. Scouted out the area the way I used to on cross country boondock trips. Came upon and circled back to a tiny church with facilities & friendlies in Pedee and started blending. Haven't seen totality since 1991 when I took an early bay to an abandoned campground beach cove between Cabo and San Jose.

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

We drove my girlfriend's bay camping to see the eclipse. I don't really look at the bay forums, so I will post my pics here if it is OK.

We camped out in the national forest at a particularly scenic free campsite. The last photo is taken from 20 feet in front of our camper this morning.

before totality, I noticed the shadows on the front of the bus were showing the semi-circle of the sun. After the totality, the shadows were showing an opposite semi-circle from before the totality.

before totality:

after totality:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Sheesh, this thread flopped bigtime. I figured people would post where they were or in their bus or maybe a picture. I know that at least one person was on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We were in Western North Carolina. A thunderstorm popped up about an hour before and let us have spotty views of the crescents, but blocked the totality. I did make a filter from an eclipse viewing lens for my iPhone and it worked. We had bluebird skies for three days prior to that thunderstorm.
Nevertheless the week of camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway was stellar. If you drive your bus it is a route that you should do someday. The speed limit is 45 mph, there is no commercial traffic, and campgrounds are a short day's ride apart, if you stop at the overlooks, displays, and picnic grounds. We cruise at 25-35 mph and average about 15 mph between the campgrounds. The eclipsed flopped big time for us though.
BarryL wrote:

If you held your cellphone camera behind the glasses would that have worked to take a photo?

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

San Diego October 14, 2023...9:47 am.

This morning I went out to see the partial Annular Eclipse over me. I took a pin-holed cardboard to take a photo in the usual way. As The ecllipse darkened the sky to an eerie yellow gray I noticed every beam of light that passed through gaps in my trees made an eclipse projection from the diffracted sunlight.

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

Some very cool pictures there!
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

The BonTonRoulet scores Best in Class (Preservation) 2023 Euro-fest auto show Ridgeland Mississippi. Score significantly enhanced as a Coleman lantern was an accessory for a car show during a solar eclipse. Ha!

Beam me up Scotty!

Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

My Eclipse pics

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply with quote

Ragtop wrote:
My Eclipse pics

So cool. Looks like you were in totality.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: