Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
isurfahotline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

Hey so if anyone had some knowledge on this swap and wouldn't mind chatting for a few I have some questions. Some of it is with California smog laws and stuff so probably someone with knowledge of that as well. But the ej22 swap looks not to difficult with the conversion kit. Some of my questions are is there an easier swap to do? I talked to someone and she said the ej22 will pass smog no problem but the ej25 you have to go through some loop holes to get it registered and what not. Anyways I have a good amount of questions if anyone could help that would be awesome! Thanks!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

Is your Westy a diesel or air cooled engine?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
isurfahotline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

It is an air-cooled one.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

I'd looked into doing a 2.2 Suby on my then air cooled '81 This was in 2008 and the 2.5 has come a long way since then but I see your comments re Smog. At that time, my reasons for considering that swap were that it was fairly well established and, it's a non interference engine.

Your first challenge will be to figure what's needed to swap from air cooled to water cooled. Though the parts required pretty much "bolt up" items like the heat exchange box at dash are a consideration. And "little things" like running new wires from engine bay to dash for oil pressure, coolant gauge, tach (not totally needed) and VSS, rad fan wiring, etc. add up in terms of thought and time put in. That stuff right there makes any swap more difficult or at least time consuming.

The 2.2 swap has been around for some time so bugs, issues related to a water cooled Vanagon to suby should be ironed out; buying a kit should help ensure a smooth(er) swap. Heck. I bet you can buy pre done wiring harnesses for that swap right?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
isurfahotline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

Yeah so I was going to buy like a motor from a JDM depot. But they cut the harness. So I was up in the air about buying like a donor car and just taking out what I need or buying the long block peicing it together and buying a predone wiring harness. I would obviously have more reliability. I don't want to buy a subaru and put a motor in with 200k miles. So that's kind of where i'm at. Like up in the air with what route to go.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

I am not aware of anyone with a California smog legal Subaru 2.5L conversion. It is the OBD2 system that makes it much more difficult to get smog approved in California. Every Subaru conversion that I know of is using OBD1.

More info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502340&highlight=subaru+2.5+california

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this over the phone.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

Hello young Grasshopper.

These are all realistic questions, But something that is and has been covered in a bunch of threads. Learn to use The FAQ's at the top of the page.
You will find an answer to 99% of the questions you have. Bottom line, the way you want to do it is the most difficult way to go. From converting from Air to Water and then sourcing an engine without a donor car and then looking for a harness and all the bits you'd need.
Unless you are really Mechanical and have lots of time I'd buy one done or spend the money on a proper A/C rebuild. There are builders who can build a proper T4 engine that will last with decent power at about the same price of a conversion.
Good luck on your project and be sure to post pictures as you go along as we all love photos.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:

Unless you are really Mechanical and have lots of time I'd buy one done or spend the money on a proper A/C rebuild. There are builders who can build a proper T4 engine that will last with decent power at about the same price of a conversion.

I can echo Stacy's comment from a slightly different POV. After getting all the air to water cooled stuff pretty much "done", I had in my hands a 1.9 WBX, harness etc. I was sorely tempted to bolt up all that stuff and call it a day. But then my swap had a lot of DIY stuff involved, I'd never really welded before etc. So I was really in over my head! At least with a Suby kit + required water cooled parts, you'd basically be bolting stuff in. Not saying that's easy, not trying to discourage, just trying to shed some light from my then much more newb POV.

If funds permit and you go for a Suby swap, Tom Shiels and other folks can do the harness for you. That's a real time saver right there.

Good luck

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
isurfahotline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! Appreciate all the quick responses. I'm sure i'll have more questions. So I will start looking for a donor. I knew that was the easiest way to go so that just kind of backed my decision on that.
isurfahotline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
I am not aware of anyone with a California smog legal Subaru 2.5L conversion. It is the OBD2 system that makes it much more difficult to get smog approved in California. Every Subaru conversion that I know of is using OBD1.

More info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502340&highlight=subaru+2.5+california

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about this over the phone.

Hey I had to make a new account because I couldn't remember my log in. So it will take me 24 hours to PM you. I'd love to chat for a few. So i'll PM you tomorrow. My email is [email protected] if you wanna shoot me your number. Thanks man!
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

isurfahotline wrote:
Thanks for the help! Appreciate all the quick responses. I'm sure i'll have more questions. So I will start looking for a donor. I knew that was the easiest way to go so that just kind of backed my decision on that.

Call Steelhead Recycling in Goleta and tell them you're doing a Vanagon conversion and need a EJ22.... they'll get you everything you'll need from the Subaru for the conversion.

We just picked up one with 148K on it for a neighbor that is starting his conversion for $800. Came with engine, harness from the same car, and someother goodies...

As for the EJ25.. may be an issue...

I just got my van B.A.R. Approved with a White Sticker... they specifically looked for the EJ22 that is stamped in the engine block under the alternator and took a photo of it.. After showing the ref all of the KEP receipts, the EO, and the smog report from the donor car in for the inspection it went..
isurfahotline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
isurfahotline wrote:

Call Steelhead Recycling in Goleta and tell them you're doing a Vanagon conversion and need a EJ22.... they'll get you everything you'll need from the Subaru for the conversion.

We just picked up one with 148K on it for a neighbor that is starting his conversion for $800. Came with engine, harness from the same car, and someother goodies...

As for the EJ25.. may be an issue...

I just got my van B.A.R. Approved with a White Sticker... they specifically looked for the EJ22 that is stamped in the engine block under the alternator and took a photo of it.. After showing the ref all of the KEP receipts, the EO, and the smog report from the donor car in for the inspection it went..

Sick I will definitely do that man. Thank you. I will shoot them a call tomorrow.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

Definitely have Tom shiels do the wiring. He's a great guy that has made huge contributions to the Subaru swap community. You will almost definitely want the help of those in the yahoo Subaru vanagon group. tom started that group w another dude. He did my wiring and the beast started up first try. Whamo!!
He has been there to answer questions after the fact as well.
As we all move forward on the shoulders of those that went before us. You will likely move forward on the shoulders of Tom Sheils. He is a Subaru swap pioneer.
Want to know how to route your cooling system. Toms site. Want to know how to make the genny light work w the EJ 22. Article by Brent but found on Toms site. Want to know just about anything needed to make the suby push a VW van and Toms site will have details.
Have I made myself clear?
Join yahoo subaruvanagon and support your small mom and pop vendors , cause u just can't get this type of service from Walmart.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

tom sheils (from what I understand) is no longer doing harness work. honestly, I didn't want to bag the guy but he left me high and dry on an issue with a harness he did for me.

go to jeff robenolt if you do this. he does all the harness work for almost every vendor out there. great guy to work with

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
tom sheils (from what I understand) is no longer doing harness work. honestly, I didn't want to bag the guy but he left me high and dry on an issue with a harness he did for me.

go to jeff robenolt if you do this. he does all the harness work for almost every vendor out there. great guy to work with

I second Jeff Robenolt... he did my harness and was very helpful in the process.. like noted above my van kicked over on the first try with the new engine... and the harness that Jeff did for me..
isurfahotline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help/advice on Subaru swap on 82 westy. Reply with quote

Hey does anyone know any places in the Los Angeles area
that is similar to SteelHead? I called them but it's just somewhat
of a mission. Was wondering if there is anywhere closer that has
knowledge of the swap like them!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: