Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aussie road trip
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

This week I commence a road trip starting from home in Sydney and head North to Brisbane. Starting out, I head inland over the Great Dividing Range and follow the minor roads passing Lithgow with Mudgee with a first night stopover At Coonabarabran which is close to the Siding Springs Astronomical Telescopes. I hope to do some night photography and get images of the milky way.

Once past Sydney I stopped off for a break at BlackHeath where I could put the car in a typical Blue Mountains setting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is typical scenery in the still pristine parts of the east coast hinterland.

Blackheath is on the western edge of the divide and where I've often flown Hang-gliders over the years. Today is a good light wind flying day but the Ghia is not suitable for carrying such a thing. So I thought I'd visit the Landing zone and say hello to a few flying buddies.

You can see the escarpment so typical of the Blue Mountains.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Of course the thing to avoid in the rural back block is travelling after dusk. This is the feeding time for Kangaroos and it is very common to see them on the side of the road like this...

Of course I know the risk and yet I dumbly ignored years of experience in the no longer pristine Ghia.

Dang Twisted Evil !!

Is anyone familiar with that saying when luck keeps gong bad, "you must have killed a Chinaman" ? Was it me or was it the Ghia that committed the mistake?

The car is running OK so I'm going to push on and restrict running to daylight hours and photos will be from the rear quarters so the scars are less obvious.

Nicholas

Last edited by sputnick60 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 am; edited 2 times in total
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Nicholas, hate to see that happen.. sorry mate. Does that mean back to Chris for repairs after he completes mine? you nd I keep him in business
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Gosh, that sux... for all 3 of you. GL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Dang Twisted Evil !!

Ouch Exclamation Hope you're none the worse for wear.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

oh man.. I'll just look at the the earlier photos and try and forget the last one (like you I'm sure)

Hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly...at least you are okay and the battle scars can be fixed!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Ah...that's sad for all concerned. Happens here in Hampshire with animals on the road in rural areas.

Part of the road trip story...allbeit not a nice one. Sad

Stay safe mate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm fine. The 'Roo isn't. I slammed the brakes pretty hard but didn't wipe off enough speed. A couple of positives.... the CSP disc brakes pulled up straight despite the four wheel lock up. .... the damage is on metal that was repaced during resto.... it still has one original head light bucket and the bumpers look straight..
I have a spare headlight set at home... just need the RHD lens from the UK

Nicholas
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Owch- think a roo bar would have spoilt the lines of the car--Maybe a removable one.

Glad you didn't go spinning off into the night like a frisby though.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

I was just sitting here enjoying your road trip and the wonderful ghia and scenery pics and then...
Bam!.
Glad you are ok. Condolences to the roo and the ghia. Soldier on, continue to enjoy. Good news, since you will be stopping at dusk you will have time to enjoy a cold one or two.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

You managed several excellent photos before the damage. That's no small thing.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Like the other Sambanista who have commented thus far, I would like to see how your road trip progresses from here with the forced revisions to your script.

It's just a car, a very special one indeed, but your life and safety are far more special.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

A road trip.... great! Oh. That was a shock.
Glad you are ok though.
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
The car is running OK so I'm going to push on and restrict running to daylight hours and photos will be from the rear quarters so see the scars are less obvious.

Nicholas

I'm just looking at far you've come and your recent track record. I think the spare wheel might make it to Brisbane, with the remainder of the car littered along the highway.......

I hope the remainder of the trip is a bit less eventful, I'd like to see your car without too many dents! As long as you are OK, it may hurt to look at the smack but it's only a car.

Angus
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
The car is running OK so I'm going to push on and restrict running to daylight hours and photos will be from the rear quarters so see the scars are less obvious.

Nicholas

I'm just looking at far you've come and your recent track record. I think the spare wheel might make it to Brisbane, with the remainder of the car littered along the highway.......

I hope the remainder of the trip is a bit less eventful, I'd like to see your car without too many dents! As long as you are OK, it may hurt to look at the smack but it's only a car.

Angus

I'm taking the philosophical view of this: First, Nicholas came out of it without injuries. Second, we've brought our cars back from far worse condition, and if you want a reminder, just read Nicholas' entropy thread from the beginning. Resilience, I think, is what defines Ghia restorers. Enterprise in the face of adversity. Third, our Ghia stories would be dull if fate didn't intervene every now and then. This road trip just got a lot more interesting. I can't wait for the next instalment.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Angus Dowrie wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:

Nicholas

Angus

I'm taking the philosophical view of this: First, Nicholas came out of it without injuries. Second, we've brought our cars back from far worse condition, and if you want a reminder, just read Nicholas' entropy thread from the beginning. Resilience, I think, is what defines Ghia restorers. Enterprise in the face of adversity. Third, our Ghia stories would be dull if fate didn't intervene every now and then. This road trip just got a lot more interesting. I can't wait for the next instalment.

Maybe it needs a "Pierre DeVilliers" element, like pick-up a colourful hitch-hiker. Wink
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Maybe it needs a "Pierre DeVilliers" element, like pick-up a colourful hitch-hiker. Wink

Oh how I wish.... I'm not gifted with the use of English like my Kiwi bother. I was always better at maths and engineering, that and persistence...

and on that point of persistence... I drove back to the scene this morning. But why? you ask. At the Hotel some on-line research showed the type of nose badge I want on the car is unobtainium and that prompted the return.I fossicked about for about 20 minutes using a search pattern which rewarded me with the find.

Those dots in the background are the Roo and further back, the Ghia parked where the tyre marks start. So it seems there was enough time to slow down from 100kph and minimise the damage.

Near Gunedah the first wheat has been sown in a few places, so we see deep green tips growing and makes quite a contrast to the post winter brown. Blue and Green should never be seen without a colour in between... so that's Brown or Black.. choose wisely.

So now facing limited photogenic angles on the Ghia I thought to try the long telephoto lens and see what 200mm will do. I might be stuck with that "it looks good at 50 paces" thing for a while but I think I can make this work.

Or I can hide it behind the long grass or clump of tree and put a green cow pasture and wooded hills behind it.

See! Even having your nose smashed in doesn't prevent having a good time. If I'm careful the bad start will be an insurance thing in the past. Soon.

By now I've made it to Warialda, a town I haven't visited for 30 years. I once finished, at the airstrip here, a long cross country flight in my hang glider. Best beer and hamburger I ever had. Being hungry and thirsty might have enhanced in memory given my weariness that day.

Tomorrow I have to make it to Brisbane in time for dinner with my Twin sister so we can celebrate our Birthday!

.. or do I get diverted by John's charming hitchhiker?

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

The night sky is big down here in the southern hemisphere.

This is at Warialda airstrip, a wide open space for maximum sky.
Nicholas
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
The night sky is big down here in the southern hemisphere.
My condolences on the Ghia. If they rebuilt Steve Austin back in the 70s I'm sure your Ghia will be back in shape soon enough.
I just sent a copy of your night sky photo to photographer friend because coincidentally, three nights ago, he sent me a picture he took of the Milky Way while being eaten alive by mosquito in the Florida Everglades. He thinks a road/ocean trip is in order when I finish my Ghia Smile

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

My new favorite picture of your Ghia!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1683398.jpg

If it came down to it...I would postpone the b-day greet with your sister and celebrate with the Sweet
Hitchhiker. Cool
So very relieved you took the time to retrieve your nose badge, I cannot even recall the last time I saw one up for sale. It is my personal favorite accessory on my Ghia.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: