Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aussie road trip
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Just as I expected; this road trip is getting better every day. That night sky is unfortunately not seen here in New Zealand. The country is not known as the Land of the Long White Cloud for nothing.

Great photography, Nicholas.

PS Forget about the hitch-hiker. Solitude is a much unappreciated condition, and that night sky you shared with us is one best enjoyed in utter silence.
56cpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Nic - Sorry to see what happened to the Car, but glad you are OK. I have fixed worse. And don't worry if you do lose your Nose badge, I have just made another 48 of them for sale

Regards Jerry KG Co Australia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your car... Looks fixable. I've always been jealous of your badge, been brainstorming ways of creating my own. That night sky pic is amazing. Only time I've ever seen anything like that was out in the middle of the Atlantic on an aircraft carrier.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

I made it to Texas.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
A different Texas..This is the one on the New South Wales border. Much smaller on than the one in America. I hear not far away is a place called New Mexico. This car was delivered there but a continent away. I have no clue why Australian places would be named after North American places.
Queensland is known as the sunshine state. I have to say travelling through with the top down was extra nice with the sun shinning.

On the road again. I thought you's might enjoy my view of the world today. I certainly enjoyed the scenery rolling by.

One of the most spectacular bits of real estate entering the brisbane area is Cuninghams Gap. Here is the Ghia at the bottom of the decline.

The clouds are ominous for what came ahead

80 kilometres from Brisbane the squalls started. But with the top down and moving continuously almost zero rain fell inside the car. I travelled like that as dry as can be until the last 1200 metres where I was held up by traffic lights and finally got rained on intensivly. On the bright side, the car had a chance to rinse off the dust from the last thousand kilometres and enter town looking nice and clean.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

I spent a good part of Tuesday with Angus Dowrie at his home at Kangaroo Point in the fashionable Brisbane inner city.
Here he is in the garage with some of his favourites...... The '63 Ghia Phoebe, AND the New Puppy, Freida. Those nose grilles look like a perfect fit Cool

We drove over to the Storey Bridge and did a group photo showing our most photogenic aspects ( or what remains of that )

Nicholas
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Nice to actually meet up in person finally! I actually missed your last photos going through Cunningham Gap. I drove Phoebe through the same area not long ago, but I returned via the Waterfall Way, side road going through Killarney and it goes past a series of waterfalls obviously!

Phoebe at the top of Cunninghams Gap, nice lookout in the NP only about a kilometre from the road.

I'm glad I had disc brakes on this road, some very steep sections.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Wow, sorry to see that Nicholas, must have been a hard thing to go through. As others have wisely said here though, the main thing is that you are ok. A car can be fixed. It has been done before and will be done again… we can rebuild him, better that he was before, better, stronger, faster. We have the technology, we have the capability…

Marsupial mayhem aside, this is the kind of thread I love to see. People in the world enjoying their Ghias. Lovely shots too.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

The action continues as Angus and I both attend the VWDCQ action day on the shores of Moreton Bay in Brisbane.
Here's both our Ghia's in the sunshine with Angus hiding the Roo damage on mine.

There are more Photos on Facebook on the VolksWagen Drivers Club of Queensland Facebook event page

Enjoy.
Nicholas
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Two great looking cars Guy’s, Phoebe looks fantastic Angus; and Nicholas, there is an easier way to get a iconic Aussie emblem on the bonnet. Razz Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
Two great looking cars Guy’s, Phoebe looks fantastic Angus; and Nicholas, there is an easier way to get a iconic Aussie emblem on the bonnet. Razz Razz

Thanks Kevin, there were only four ghias at this show and two of them had your interiors!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of street art as distinct to graffiti or tagging. Lismore, in NSW about 200 kilometres south of Brisbane is an interesting mix of people involved with rural production and people involved with alternate life styles. The art culture started back in the late 60's an early 70's with the Aquarius festival at a village known as Nimbin. It is part of what makes this part of Australia special.

I drove to Cape Byron which is the most easterly point of Australia. Sadly there is no place to park a car and get the money shot with the wonderful back drop of the famous light house and ocean views.

The adventure continues as head to Bellingen tomorrow
Nicholas
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

IMO, you just posted a few "money shots" Very cool Art. Love that!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Love reading about your road trip Nicholas and great photos. My two personal favorites would have to be

Stance looks perfect, and I love how you can see the stars reflecting off the paintwork

sputnick60 wrote:

Dang Twisted Evil !!

Is anyone familiar with that saying when luck keeps gong bad, "you must have killed and Chinaman" ? Was it me or was it the Ghia that committed the mistake?

Sorry to hear about the ghia, very unlucky, don't know who but I reckon who ever it was must have killed 2.

Looking forward to the next installment

Rich
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

You've no doubt guess the road trip has come to a close, but there are a few loose ends yet to make good. So today I dropped the Ghia off to Chris for the remedial work to commence.

It seems I've become adept at photographing that car and yet hiding the damage from that roo.
Nicholas
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

It will be good to get rid of that duct tape! (And the dent I guess....)
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Neat thread Sputnick. Great to see your car together and out on a road trip - even if that means it gets banged up a bit. Nice photos too, always interesting to see other landscapes.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

Thanks, 70 140 and You look happy there Bluedot, aren’t these cars just fun to share. Even when they go bad its still a fun experience.

I will continue doing road trips just like this one because these cars need to be enjoyed. Some keep them locked up nice and safe because theirs is the enjoyment of a pristine example, but I like taking the risk and being on the open road.

The car is imminently repairable, especially if one has a good insurance company and a good panel guy. Chris Rolfe did the restoration paint and panel and was flexible enough to accept my input on the approach. Clearly he is first choice to remedy this setback.

So far the front of the car has been pulled back in position so the RHS door closes properly again. I might need to replace the nylon in the striker because I used the door too often while the frame was bent. Just a few mm is enough to cause a problem.

The bumper outer blade and the headlight ring were both bent and I’ve had them both down to Electroplating Technology In Queanbeyan. They came back looking prefect with new chrome. Lucky that happened just before christmas which means the long lead time of the January holidays is avoided.

I managed to get a pair of RHD lenses from Vic Brkovec and over the Xmas / New Year break I’ve used those to convert a pair of NOS Euro headlights to RHD. That’s the B plan. Plan A for the headlights is buying a new reflector and marrying that with the one spare OG headlight surround and a new RHD lens. Status VW are then only source for OG Hella glass but they are out of stock for now but will have a new lot arrive sometime soon and hopefully before the shorrock supercharger Laughing

There’s an order of metal parts from Karman Erstazteilservice that is poised waiting for the banks to come back to work after the holidays. International transactions are slow at the best of times if you want to avoid paypal commisions you need to act “SWIFT”ly. In this order are two new aluminum nostrils (I’ll need to replace both so they look the same), the RHS airbox, the metal around the airbox and a new headlight bucket (along with the reflector mentioned earlier). There’s also new rubber for the inner guard where it meets the nose panel, as well as the rubber for the trunk lid that has to come off and is likely to get damaged during extraction. Also got the right rubber for the engine lid so it can be re-done to allow that lid to close properly for once.

So now I’ve written all the news I suppose I’ll put the story and progress in this thread instead of the “Entropy” thread. It should be all done by the end of January unless we uncover obstacles along the way.

It’s like doing the restoration all over again. And to think I was considering another project. Bad doggie!

Nicholas
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:

I managed to get a pair of RHD lenses from Vic Brkovec and over the Xmas / New Year break I’ve used those to convert a pair of NOS Euro headlights to RHD. That’s the B plan. Plan A for the headlights is buying a new reflector and marrying that with the one spare OG headlight surround and a new RHD lens. Status VW are then only source for OG Hella glass but they are out of stock for now but will have a new lot arrive sometime soon and hopefully before the shorrock supercharger Laughing

Nicholas

Is it an actual "official" requirement that all Karmann Ghia owning Moder-haters of The Samba Ghia forum outfit their engines with one of those Oh-SO-desirable Shorrock superchargers, ... or just a happy coincidence?

Smile

Sounds like you have a good plan, and it's all coming together nicely.
Congrats!

I coudn't agree more that these cars are best enjoyed through frequent and active use.

(... says the guy who hasn't even started his Karmann Ghia in over a decade. Embarassed)
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

I can see how you could reach such a conclusion but its more to do with being part of the British Commonwealth and enjoying the game of cricket.

Australia seems to have won the Ashes series this summer.

Laughing Laughing
Nicholas
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie road trip Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I can see how you could reach such a conclusion but its more to do with being part of the British Commonwealth and enjoying the game of cricket.

Australia seems to have won the Ashes series this summer.

Laughing Laughing
Nicholas

Not won...just out on loan. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: