Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best tires and wheels - please recommend
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Hi !

I would love to have recommendations on
Best tires to get (within reason for pricing, so maybe best for budget?)
And wheels
And where do get them
For my 1979 super Beetle convertible
Thanks in advance

Marie
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Marie,

It depends what you're looking for. I think factory wheels for your year bug were available from 4.5" to 5.5" x 15" rims. The equivalent factory size tire today would be 165x80x15. Search that in Google and you'll get lots of hits from online tire discounters. The prices are anywhere from $42 and up.

You may be able to find factory rims on thesamba classifieds.

I've bought after-market "custom" rims from https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1230 and been very happy w/them. "Your mileage may vary."

Vํctor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sminton1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Walmart has Nankang 165/80R15 for $70 with free ship to store. Hard to beat that price.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Same tire, about $54 shipped from SimpleTire to an installer near you, then a discount on the per-tire mount and balancing:

https://simpletire.com/nankang-p165-80r15-24205006...gLUJ_D_BwE

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

sminton1 wrote:
Walmart has Nankang 165/80R15 for $70 with free ship to store. Hard to beat that price.
wallmarts solar tire is cheeper and better rain tread too.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

I only get these:

$54 a pop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QL6ONQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

I have the same Nankangs. They were well made. Nice and round. Of course, you have to pay someone to spin balance and mount. But you have to do that at a retail tire store.

I'd check the Samba Classifieds for a set of Lemertz Sports rims. Either that, or regular VW rims that aren't bent and rusty. You can also go custom. MidAmerica sells many custom wheels--assuming the ones you want are in stock, that is. They are usually out of stock on anything I want, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Best at what?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

If you look through the classifieds "Tire and wheel" section Ashly as the late model for sales, you can get a better idea of what you like the look of. And then, based in what your hopes, dreams, aspirations are for this car to do, can make more informed decisions?
And folk can help decipher things like offset, back spacing, etc and how it may/may not work for your particular model of bug.

Have fun.
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

I looked at your gallery and could not see the wheels on your car.
Stock wheels are fine. They the stock wheels were not made in china.
As far as tires goes Nankangs or Kuhmo are fine tires.
Ad a photo of your wheels.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
67vetteal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Shop carefully for your tire. I recently spent hours looking around. Wound up buying Uniroyal Defenders from Tirerack.com for average of 54.00 + shipping. I did 165/70x15 Front and 195/70 x15 Rear. I'm Happy. Al W.
rjplumer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
I only get these:

$54 a pop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QL6ONQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish I had seen this before I bought mine from Tirerack.com for $79 a tire.
Current VW: 1974 VW Bug(Standard) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8505350#8505350
Previous VW: 1971 VW Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PopPop Jambon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

67vetteal wrote:
I did 165/70x15 Front and 195/70 x15 Rear. I'm Happy. Al W.

Are these on stock rims? If so, 4.5 or 5.5?
Sort of a Baja
(PO removed the deck lid, cut out the rear skirt and added rear fiberglass fenders, that's about it)
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Best at what?

Exactly.

What are you trying to do.

Just hold air at the cheapest price?
Get 100K + miles?
Corner the hardest?
get the most MPG?
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
MarieChantale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

I am looking mostly for safety.
I would be willing to go up to 150 dollars a tire max.
Thinking of getting stock wheels (after market copies I guess?). Mine are rusted and some are lightly bent on inside .
I'll take picture when I can. I am away from my car until the weekend.
I will not use my car in winter.
Thoughts on white walls or not? Pain to keep clean? Right look for period or not?
I appreciate all your help and suggestions. You guys rock !
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

No on the white walls. Do get some input on the wheels you decide upon. Most of the tires mentioned above are fine I have driven cross country on all of the brands mentioned.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

My bug is a 1974 Super Beetle. In the early and mid-seventies, many VW's had the 3/4 inch white walls. It was considered a fancy sort of thing. But I don't know if they kept up the style in the later seventies. But they may look good on your 1979.

As far as the earlier fat-ass white walls, I think they look great on earlier beetles, but kind of weird on seventie's models.

Coker makes nice 3/4 inch white walls in the stock size, I believe. Check those out.

Sports Wheels, or regular (stock) wheels would be fine. But be sure they are nice and straight.

I bought Kumho tire's when I first got my bug. They were out of round in no time. My Nankang replacements stay round. Just my experience. Others may have done better. But a Super Beetle needs really round tire's in the front, at least.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

from the archives.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Sports Wheels, or regular (stock) wheels would be fine. But be sure they are nice and straight.

Ditto on this - I recently picked up a pair of wider 5.5" sport wheels which were offered by VW as an option, I believe, to install on the rear of my '74 Super. Both looked really good, couldn't detect any imperfections. Turns out one of them has enough damage on both rim edges to allow slow leaks. I wake up to a flat every couple of days.

I bought these on the WTB adds here, I don't blame the seller because the rim looks great and he would've know only if he actually used these. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this.

I've since found a near perfect replacement locally w/the factory stickers and all still stuck and legible on the inner rim. I'm getting it swapped in this weekend.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best tires and wheels - please recommend Reply with quote

Here's mine when I was rockin fat whitewalls:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I bought these the only way to get them in stock size was through Coker tire and they only carried Bias ply. Now you can get them and the thin white walls in radials which is nice. I drove on these for quite some time then sold them to a guy who was building a hot rod. Once I had radials on the car I swore "never again"...they ride so much better than the Bias ply!

For $150 a tire you pretty much have choice of whatever the hell you want. Get the best. If that's your budget a fun game to play is "Avoid China." Let us know how that turns out and what brands you find.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: