Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

I have a 1974 Type 2 bus and recently she was struggling to start in the mornings. We were on a road trip down the west coast of the State sand so some days driving for 6 hours or so.
I took the top off the carb and noticed a fair amount of oil. After cleaner this out with a paper towel she started first time no problem. I have a hose coming from the Oil Breather which connects direct into the carburetor. Any advice on why oil is coming in and how I can fix it?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Would that be a Weber progressive carburetor? How about some details on your setup. A picture of engine compartment could help as well.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Nathc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The pictures show the oil breather and the hose that connects into the carburetor. I have lifted the top off the breather and there is nothing in there so not sure if I require foam (?) or something in there to control the oil? I have tried tightening the white connection that goes into the carburetor but it didn't work.
Any help would be grand as I am a bit of a newbie with these.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Excellent pics. When you say trouble starting in the mornings. Describe what was happening. Did the engine turn over? Did it feel like you were starved for gas? Did nothing happen when you turn key to start? And then the starter engaged and started to crank. Do you have a faint gas smell inside bus. Does your engine bay have a strong smell of gas. Lots of questions coming your way.

Unrelated:
Do you have the black fan that hangs from the top of the engine compartment with hose going down. Can you see the road anywhere when you look down engine compartment towards the ground?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Nathc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

So it sounds like it is trying to turn over. After about 10 seconds it kicks in and starts. I have to keep the revs high for a while otherwise it cuts out. After starting off it would sometimes cut out when I came to a stop. Although if I have got rid of the oil in the carburetor it starts straight away and runs perfectly fine.

No gas smell except after I have filled her up and then it disappears after a few miles.

No I don't have the air blower in the van. It is on my list of things to replace ( heater boxes, hoses and the fan and get that all working correctly)
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Disconnect that hose and start the motor and watch for a lot of blowby. That's where the oil is coming from as the blowby condenses as the cold incoming air goes down the carb. Might be time for new rings.
Nathc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Disconnect the hose going into the carb? Excuse my ignorance but new rings where?! I'm still learning...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

is the problem you want to know about the oil, or is the problem starting it, or both. They aren't related unless the timing is so far off it is causing excessive blowby, or the the compression is low, or there is gas in the oil.

I would suggest treating them separately. To find out why it won't start, check the timing, points and plug gap. It could be the timing has changed. Check the automatic choke on the carb to be sure it is working properly. check for vacuum leaks.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Nathc23 wrote:
Disconnect the hose going into the carb? Excuse my ignorance but new rings where?! I'm still learning...

Piston rings. That can be determined with a compression test among others. Look for oily spark plugs a sure sign of trouble somewhere.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Having oil sitting in the bottom of your air cleaner isn't going to hurt much, the oil come via the breather and then just sits in the bottom of the air cleaner looking ugly but actually being pretty inert. If you don't like the mess you can direct the oil into the top of the air clean directly above the primary throat of the carburetor. This way the oil will go right back into the engine.

I suspect your choke isn't working and when you messed with the carb you knocked it free. Have you been pumping the gas pedal one full stroke before trying to cold start your engine? Two strokes may be needed as the temperature drops towards freezing, plus additional strokes as the temperature drops further down.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Yes what Wildthings says. I'm going to lob this out there. Could it be flooding and then when it sits as he's cleaning up the oil with the air cleaner off the carb is realeasing gas enabling it to start again Think Next time it happens press the
Gas pedal all the way down and then turn the key to start. With foot still on pedal.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Having oil sitting in the bottom of your air cleaner isn't going to hurt much, the oil come via the breather and then just sits in the bottom of the air cleaner looking ugly but actually being pretty inert. If you don't like the mess you can direct the oil into the top of the air clean directly above the primary throat of the carburetor. This way the oil will go right back into the engine.

I suspect your choke isn't working and when you messed with the carb you knocked it free. Have you been pumping the gas pedal one full stroke before trying to cold start your engine? Two strokes may be needed as the temperature drops towards freezing, plus additional strokes as the temperature drops further down.

Well this saved me a search. I'm about to connect my oil breather to my dual webers and was wondering what area would work or if anywhere is ok.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Be aware that the plastic 90 degree fitting shown in the photo above contains a restrictive profile inside, shrinking the 1/2 inch breather tube to a quarter inch passage. This may cause excess crankcase pressure and extra oil leaks out other places.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Nathc23 wrote:

You have a vacuum line hooked up to the vacuum retard side of the can on your distributor. Since your aftermarket carb was not designed to work with a retard feature, most people only hook of the advance side of the can. Don't know where the hose is attached to on the other end, but it is probably not helping you much and may actually be hurting your performance.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Good catch Jim.

To the O P. If you want to eliminate the breather oil as being the cause, disconnect the hose from the air cleaner and just run it overboard. That’s the way the old VW’s did it before pollution concerns. See if that helps.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Well this saved me a search. I'm about to connect my oil breather to my dual webers and was wondering what area would work or if anywhere is ok.

Going into the top will also give more slope to the hose so the oily water in the hose will drain back into the engine after shutdown verse plugging the hose with engine snot.
Nathc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

Thank you for all your help. I'm going to get round to looking at it this weekend and see what I can do.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil in the Carburetor from the oil breather Reply with quote

I just used a hardware store grommet and the nylon pipe to hose elbow with the pipe threads pressed down into the gromment. Haven't had mine set up this way for long, but it seems to work fine.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: