Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Byron's '63 Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

I'd wear a suit too if I only had 4 fingers on my right hand.
Distract people from the obvious.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

what am i missing here? i cannot get this spring to go in the hole. way too much tension. you have to turn it a funny way while trying to stretch it out. rear brakes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is a pic of how i got the bus. looks like im using the same type spring and i think i have it oriented the same way.

is there a secret? and i've searched this forum, the baywindow and the bug ones too. sorry to be so needy. thanks byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
is there a secret?
Yes but don't tell a soul.

You have to have each shoe loose without the spreader bar.
Put the spring in the weird twisty way where it is in and with the straight wire part downward like in your "before" photo and lay it on the bench.
Grab the other shoe and twisty it onto the other end and lay both flat.
Bring the tops of the shoes together while still flat on the bench and overlap the top parts.
Start the spreader bar in and use a little hand force to get it to start in.
Spread the tops of the shoes apart and the slots usually slide in.
Don't force it. It's kind of a Chinese puzzle trick.

To get it onto the backing plate is another trick but you didn't ask about that one yet.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Gwdghiaguy wrote:
is there a secret?
Yes but don't tell a soul.

To get it onto the backing plate is another trick but you didn't ask about that one yet.

I'll save that ask until I REALLY need it:

If i'm not mistaken, these are the 12,569th and 12,570th brake pictures uploaded to thesamba. Sorry but I'm proud. I've done this on my 57 bug and the 71 baywindow and for some reason, this was the most frustrating. Perhaps the worst part was ordering parts for a 63 and nothing fit. Had to order 64 and later parts. go figure. My goal is to have it up and running by summer. Then i can start on the body parts.

thanks BarryL for your help! Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

I had the same issue ordering brake parts for my 63. You have the small nut big drums on the rear and the 1 ton spindles with the small link pins. 1 year only stuff. I tore my brakes apart a long time ago. I will use your photos to help me get mine back together. 😁
Nice work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
1 year only stuff.

I didn't know 63 had one year only stuff on it. Is there a list? I really don't want to keep ordering the wrong parts--shipping them back and waiting for the new parts to arrive really slows everything down.

Is this a one year only part? The carb sits on top of it. What is this thing? I can't find it anywhere in my Bentley book.

Got tired of brakes and transaxle (both of which are going well) and thought I'd play a little. I did this last year with scotchbrite pads and acetone. Only took an hour:

Bought some aircraft paint remover and this took about one minute with a paint brush and some paper towels. The thin yellow started bubbling immediately. The red primer took a little longer. I didn't leave it on long enough to see if it reacted with the original grey. This is the way to go.

The engine is coming along. I hope to have it back in next week.

Thanks for reading. Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Culito

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Try some CitrusStrip in the spray cans. It comes out in a nice thick gel. Way more gentle than the aircraft stripper, but works better than acetone or thinner.

Get some plastic bondo scrapers and stock up on the scotchbrite pads.

Nice work so far!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:

Is this a one year only part? The carb sits on top of it. What is this thing? I can't find it anywhere in my Bentley book.

That is a "governor" AKA "Rev limiter" which is stock for many engines.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=270435
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

I see they no longer use the governor, stopped at 1500. Why did they stop and why do some people remove them?

Gwdghiaguy, your build is looking good. Can hardly wait to see her in OG grey Wink

nlorntson wrote:
Gwdghiaguy wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Gwdghiaguy wrote:

thank you. that link has some great info in it and there's a good video of the governor in action. byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
Gwdghiaguy wrote:

thank you. that link has some great info in it and there's a good video of the governor in action. byron

The governor was on 1500cc engines and was an option for 1963. This was the first year for the 1500 I believe. The air cleaner assembly is 1963 only. It moved to the right side in 64 and was a mirror image. Looks like yours is complete and correct for 63.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Here's an example of our 1963 DC with the 1 Ton package:

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Applause

nlorntson wrote:
Here's an example of our 1963 DC with the 1 Ton package:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

More paint removal. Here's my process; concerns, comments, flames all welcome.

Started with this rear quarter panel. yellow top coat with red primer all covering the original L345 light grey:

A medium heavy coat of aircraft paint remover applied with a brush:

the yellow starts to bubble almost immediately. I give it about a minute and then start scraping:

I give it a mist of water and wipe it down with paper towels as per the remover instructions. most of the yellow comes off easily. primer not so:

paint remover again on what looks like the thicker areas:

then another go with the scraper. if i angle it too much it will dig into the primer and scratch the grey:

Once more with the water and then i stop with the aircraft remover. i think it is too aggressive (ask how i know):

now i'm ready for the fun part--lacquer thinner, scotchbrite pads and elbow grease:

this is how i know the paint stripper can be too much:

30 minutes later:

When I get tired of this I have lots of other stuff waiting on me so I just jump back and forth between jobs.

On a different topic. Does this look right? Should there be this large gap between the pulley and the generator? the belt lines up with the bottom pulley.

thanks for reading and your comments are greatly appreciated. byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:

On a different topic. Does this look right? Should there be this large gap between the pulley and the generator? the belt lines up with the bottom pulley.

thanks for reading and your comments are greatly appreciated. byron

Yes, it looks correct.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Started in on the brake lines and master cylinder replacement. Lines are all clear and the new master cylinder fits fine. Broke the push rod trying to get it out of the linkage thingy. So i had to do this:

Got the specified 70mm from the nut face:

Lets put it in and see how things go. I'll report back once I have bled the system.

On another front, my buddy Shane (who helped drag the bus out of it's resting place back on page 1) came over and we got the engine off the stand so now i can take a look at the front end:

After a little clean up:

that little yellow spot means it's never been messed with, right?

Cleaned the clutch all up with some brake cleaner and it looks ok i think:

April of 63?:

Is this enough?:

If you all could help with that question i can get this thing back in quickly! I figure an old vw part is still better than a new Brazilian one? thanks for looking in. byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Measure the whole thickness of the clutch disc and see if it is bigger than 7mm. Matter of fact use a 7mm open ended wrench to measure that.

Are you going with dual circuit master cylinder?? If not, you should.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Measure the whole thickness of the clutch disc and see if it is bigger than 7mm. Matter of fact use a 7mm open ended wrench to measure that.

Are you going with dual circuit master cylinder?? If not, you should.

Is this the measurement I should have taken? I'm not sure about taking the clutch apart. the Bentley book talks about lots of special tools i don't have....

so i got 8mm here.

And i went with the original style master cylinder. Thank you Eric and Barb! byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:

Is this the measurement I should have taken? I'm not sure about taking the clutch apart. the Bentley book talks about lots of special tools i don't have....

The clutch plate and the clutch pressure plate should fall apart. Guessing those two parts are somewhat rusted together. Try popping them apart by rapping on the clutch disc through the PP opening. Use a hammer and a chunk of wood to reach thru there. If you just leave them together as is, you are going to have clutch problem till you can get them apart.

You should upgrade ASAP to dual master cylinder so when (not if) you have a wheel cylinder failure you will not loose 100% of your brakes.
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's '63 Camper Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
1 year only stuff.

I didn't know 63 had one year only stuff on it. Is there a list? I really don't want to keep ordering the wrong parts--shipping them back and waiting for the new parts to arrive really slows everything down.

Got tired of brakes and transaxle (both of which are going well) and thought I'd play a little. I did this last year with scotchbrite pads and acetone. Only took an hour:
for your paint stripping go to home depot and buy the bucket of "multi strip" white bucket blue lid, spread it with a brush leave 30 or so minutes or more scrape off with a sanded razor blade ..... this stripper works awesome and will not hurt your og paint, clean up with small amount of thinner and 0000 steel wool

Bought some aircraft paint remover and this took about one minute with a paint brush and some paper towels. The thin yellow started bubbling immediately. The red primer took a little longer. I didn't leave it on long enough to see if it reacted with the original grey. This is the way to go.

The engine is coming along. I hope to have it back in next week.

Thanks for reading. Byron
get some multi strip from home depot ( white bucket blue lid) spread with brush leave it on 30 mins or longer if needed , works great will not hurt og paint, scrape with sanded razor blades, cleanup w 0000 steel wool and thinner, this is by far the fastest safest method , you can strip large areas in one go
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: