Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burley Motorsports Big Brakes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

I just installed Burley's front big disc brakes. Here are some pictures. So far I'm happy, they're smoother and stronger, especially downhill. I feel like I need the BMW booster to really get the most out of these brakes. Seems like they want me to use more leg force than I think I should have to use.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

Generally the feedback around any of the big brake kits (I have GoWesty) is that they have a softer pedal feel. I personally am interested I upgrading to the bigger booster, but need at least one more compelling reason to pull the dash! Rolling Eyes

I am planning on the Burley rear brake conversion this winter. Cool

Just another way to spend some $ on the van! Very Happy
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

I'm torn between Burley Fronts and Small Car but def Burley rear conversion. Hey Bill, after you learn how to do the install on yours you can help a brother out!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

Since it doesn't look like the swept area of the rotor is any larger with this kit, I'm wondering why you would need a larger booster. I like that they're vented, but beyond that, I'm not seeing the obvious benefits of this approach. I have four piston calipers on the front of my van, and the pedal feels perfect with the stock booster. Are you sure the brakes are fully bled, and most importantly, the rear brakes are adjusted properly?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

Those look like the single piston South African.. euro spec get ups. The stock 2wd calipers are dual piston.. I've always liked them. Syncro calipers are single piston stock and can really use upgrades but do have trade offs in pedal feel. disc diameter and piston surface to master cylinder ratio are key...
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

My 2wd has single piston calipers. 1987 westy. Just inspected them, and the piston boots were toast
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

avernon82 wrote:
My 2wd has single piston calipers. 1987 westy. Just inspected them, and the piston boots were toast

Right you are.. guess I was stuck in 1.9 van headspace. Bay windows and early vanagons had dual piston front calipers and I've alway thought stopped very well.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

Apparently the piston on these calipers is actually smaller than the stock '86 and later versions, which possibly explains why the OP feels the need to press harder in order to stop the van. Seems like only a minor upgrade in venting, but a downgrade in stopping power. Hmmm...

y u rune klassik?
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

smaller? Why would you say that? Pretty sure that's not true. The calipers are installed now. I don't feel like taking them back off to compare.

I'm going to rephrase,I think there's more pedal travel needed, which aligns with what others have experienced putting bigger brakes on.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

It's my understanding that stock '86 and later caliper pistons are 60mm and these units are 57mm.

Like I stated before, I have four piston Jaguar calipers and vented Eurovan discs on my Vanagon, and the pedal is firm and high. I would still investigate the rear brake adjustment on your van in order to reduce the pedal travel as much as possible.

y u rune klassik?
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

I just talked to Stephan's Autohaus, and they have a high opinion of the kit. I asked about differences between the different big brake kits, and they're opinion is they all offer a similar improvement to the braking.

I think I probably didn't do the best job of bleeding the brakes. Gonna start there.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

avernon82 wrote:

I'm going to rephrase,I think there's more pedal travel needed, which aligns with what others have experienced putting bigger brakes on.

Correct, this was my experience and what Stephen from SAH & I discussed in a casual discussion about Big Brakes in general.

There isn't a perception of drastic improvement in stopping power. I've always considered this more as "added braking capacity" rather than "performance braking"
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

I'm going to say the comparison SAH made between brake systems probably didn't include your Jaguar upgrade, Zeitgeist. That's a badass upgrade that I looked at, but decided I wanted an off-the-shelf option.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

I'm not touting the Jag approach, but rather just providing a few data-points and a perspective. I'm sure bleeding further will bring the pedal up, but in my experience the rear brakes are very finicky about adjustment as it relates to pedal feel. The last two vans I serviced required quite a bit of fiddling about in order to get the pedal to feel right, and that was with stock early and late brakes.

y u rune klassik?
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

noted, thank you, I'll look into it. I've never adjusted the rear brakes, so will have to figure that out.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

I had to replace the rear brake cylinders on my van before it felt right. I always adjust them by taking the wheel and drum off. You can see a lot more, you can see if the brake wear is even, and turning the adjuster from the front is a lot easier than trying to reach in the hole in the back. Sometimes the adjuster needs a little repositioning anyway. I tighten it as far as I can and still get the drum on. Work it around a little bit to make sure the brakes are centered then back off the adjuster a turn or so. The back brakes make a big difference in the pedal feel if they are loose. And I had crummy wheel cylinders that didn't spring back so it always needed a first extra half pump to get them feeling tight.

My Eurospec Big Brakes feel very good now. Peddle feel isn't much better than stock, but probably a little. They use a smallish 54mm Caliper but it seems at least as good as stock. Hard to say exactly as I switched tire size too. But the Eurospec kit is not the highest quality. The rotors rust every time I wash the van, the hoses they supplied are a bit short, and the machining was off enough that I am others have had minor rubbing of the rotor on the caliper. Solved by moving the caliper slightly within the mount holes, or taking a bit of material off the rotor or the caliper whichever is easier. That's not really what you would expect when paying for a turn key kit. But now that it is sorted they do feel good and offer way better heat resistance during long descents. If I had to do it over again, I'd go SmallCar dual piston setup which seems to have the best reviews that I have read. I don't have any experience with the Burley kit though.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

"Seems like they want me to use more leg force than I think I should have to use." "I think there is more pedal travel needed" ?? What exactly are you saying?
I have a similar G-57 big brake kit (Van Cafe).You should be able to 'feel' the front pads engage quite high on the pedal. If the pedal feels soft after that it could need bleeding,rear drums adjusted or just need time to embed. Have you tried embedding on the highway? Mine were soft and I could see the calipers flexing when a buddy was pumping the brake pedal. I replaced the rubber bushings on the calipers with aftermarket brass ones that eliminated the flex and improved the feel.
After that I went with the BMW E-30 booster,the E-32 master cylinder and 2 psi residual valves,but I have rear discs as well. Happy with the feel now. All ceramic pads,maybe semi-metallic next time.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I have four piston Jaguar calipers ...

You have British Jaguar parts on your van? Sacrilegious! Sorry, it's no longer a VW. Crying or Very sad

Laughing

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

After that I went with the BMW E-30 booster,the E-32 master cylinder and 2 psi residual valves,but I have rear discs as well. Happy with the feel now. All ceramic pads,maybe semi-metallic next time.

[/quote]

Can you tell us more about the e-32 master cylinder? Is it larger than the stock vanagon? Why the residual valves?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports Big Brakes Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I have four piston Jaguar calipers ...

You have British Jaguar parts on your van? Sacrilegious! Sorry, it's no longer a VW. Crying or Very sad

Laughing

Nice try. Both the calipers I pulled and the calipers I installed were German made Girlings. Sad.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: