Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1835cc with stripped threads
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Hello to all. I just bought an 1835cc engine that was supposedly recently rebuilt. Upon checking the torque setting on the block, I came across one near the number one cylinder that is stripped(short stud). Without having to take the entire engine back apart, how can I fix this? This past week has not been the best. First my mom died on Sunday and now this.... Any tips on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy

I have circled the stud location in question but not the engine I bought.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Sorry about your mom first off but I don't think it can be fixed without splitting the case
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

to save time.....the most practical solution to fix it with engine assembled is to make a special long reach tap, 9mm and make a special stud.
Or tap to 8mm STI and glue a time sert to the existing stud.

In the time it would take you to even think of doing it the easy way, you could have done it already the hard way. And of course there is also the option of just looking the other way, and NOT fixing it. A fine choice also.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Yup

Last edited by hazetguy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

modok wrote:
to save time.....the most practical solution to fix it with engine assembled is to make a special long reach tap, 9mm and make a special stud.

In the time it would take you to even think of doing it the easy way, you could have done it already the hard way. And of course there is also the option of just looking the other way, and NOT fixing it. A fine choice also.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is meant by "Or tap to 8mm STI and glue a time sert to the existing stud."
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
That case needs major work. Line bore / main bearing saddles look beat.
ALL oil galley plugs would need to be pulled and passages cleaned (see those pellets in the hole in the front cam bearing journal?).
and who was the butcher who split that case? Wow, that's brutal.
I see at least one other stud with crap threads.
Yuck. I, personally, would not use that case again.
I guess everyone's definition of "rebuilt" means something different.
How to proceed? Get a better case.

That's just a stock pic, not his engine
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Hi Hazetguy, the picture is not my engine, only a reference to the location of the stud for I didn't know the exact name and location of the area.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Yeah, saw that.
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Options??

Last edited by tekan1 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

tekan1 wrote:

This is the engine now after mocking up the tins and new parts....but then I found the stripped stud.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

you have to tear the engine down to repair it properly. You can do that and have it assembled back in 2 hours if you are pretty quick.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

It's always tempting to try to get it done easy but better to do it right the first ti.e and be done with it
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Ok, this will be my first attempt of anything of this caliber. Anything that i should go ahead and do while im splitting the case?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

tekan1 wrote:
modok wrote:

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is meant by "Or tap to 8mm STI and glue a time sert to the existing stud."

The hole is too deep to install a helicoil or time-sert in any normally way, but with a time-sert it would be possible to thread the repair insert onto the stud, and thread it in there like that, once the hole is enlarged and tapped.
STI is what they call the odd size taps that are used with heli-coils and time sert kits.

I brainstormed about this for nearly an hour once, a fellow with the same problem wandered into the machine shop. I love a challenge but it is sure true the amount of time we wasted discussing it, could have nearly had it half done.......but he was ON A MISSION, you know. Got the idea in his head he was going to fix it without taking the engine apart even if it killed him. How did it turn out? I don't know. never saw him again. Perhaps it killed him Razz
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

throw those PR tubes into the trash and get some good ones. Those threaded ones are going to leak like crazy, they always do. They are fine to have under the back seat in case you dent or damage one and need to get home, but I'd never use them as my first choice on a new engine.

Did you build this engine or buy it?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Replace the push rod tubes and keep them as an emergency repair as john suggested. They always leak badly for long term usage.

Switch the valve covers around. You want the vents facing the front of the engine. As you drive oil is forced to the rear of the engine and out the vent holes.

I noticed this is for a Dunebuggy. If it were for a street car I'd also suggest getting rid of the super cool tins and replacing them with the factory type I tins, but for a Dunebuggy with the engine exposed I feel it is OK to run them. Others will disagree.
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Are your cylinder heads painted black? Shocked If so you need to strip them when you rebuild the motor. The paint will keep heat in.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Yeah, that paint looks thick. A thin high heat coat would probably help, but that high gloss probably will do the reverse.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Bite the bullet, split the case, fix threads for stud properly... If you don't do it now it's going to bite you about 3 hours and 27 minutes after you fire up buggy for its first test run.... Put long block on engine stand and only disassemble 1/2 side and split case, noneed to disturb crank or 3/4 side (unless you want to freshen it up)... We have done cam changes this way and it always seems to work... You will have to mask off all areas except directly around hole being repaired , be scrupulously clean to prevent metal filings from being scattered through open case....

No paint on heads as others say, keeps heat in - Not good...

Valve cover need to be reversed as other say....

Not sure on tins but I alway run stock tins....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Hello all,

I will begin the tear down tomorrow. Got a helicoil kit from a local vw shop. New push rod tubes are on order and the paint will be stripped off the heads and jugs. What do you recommend be used to seal the case back together to prevent any leaks? Any other recommendations that i am needing to get the engine back in running order? Once again I really appreciate everyone's guidance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: